ID:321640

Not a bug
BYOND Version:493
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 9.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:Two games wont play sound at the same time...no matter what...

What i've noticed is if one thing has played any sound or attempted to play any sound then if something has played or is playing sounds it will stop any other game from playing sounds...

Now if the other game is opened with something that plays no sound or hasn't played a sound yet it works fine...but only one game will play sound at a time...but if the game hasn't tried to play sound it will play sound if the other game that has played sound is closed....

Probably a garbled mess not understood at all but i'll list the steps to re-produce what i'm talking about...

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.Connect to a game, for example my Rise of Heroes game....mute the sound with the mute button if you want even so you can pay attention to the other game.

In my experience it doens't matter how you join, click the play button on the hub, use the byond:// address, the bookmarks of recently played games, or if you added it manually, etc....

You do need to login to a character or create one though, so it will play sound...

2.Open up Two Steps BYOND...when you do it has sound too...background music...but you wont hear it because you have another game up, it doesn't matter that it's muted...

---Now it will be fine if theirs another game up that hasn't played any sound yet & will work(such as you haven't logged in on RoH so no sound has been played....but otherwise no sound will be played whether the music was stopped or not...

If you login RoH after Two Steps BYOND has played sound but was closed though RoH will play sound but if you logged in RoH but closed Two Steps, RoH will not magically start playing sound even if you change areas(to make different music play)...

I don't know how much sound effects are effected or anything but I should be able to listen to another games sounds even if I have RoH open in the background(but muted) so that I can chat with them while playing something else...without use of the pager...

I don't know what version it stopped working in but this used to work...

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
Not Applicable/Default sound() playback/multiple games

Expected Results:
To be able to hear music in another game I want to play even if I had RoH open already but muted....

Actual Results:
I can't hear any sound from the other game if I have/had another game playing sound/music previously...

I'm not sure in what all circumstances it applies but it definitely applys to when sound is playing in one game & another tries to play sound too it wont work...

---I haven't tested the same game playing multiple sounds which may be broken too, but I don't know...

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

In my experience you can play sounds in two different games at once, so you'll have to give us more info to go on. At the very least, you should try to narrow down if this started in a particular version.
In response to Lummox JR
OK well I was trying to host & everything too but if you insist I will download other versions for testing, it's a hassle though for sure....

As for steps... Join with the link

byond://99.178.137.84:5000

---Through the pager, open location option...

Navigate to the link below, click download, and choose the run option from the code...

http://www.byond.com/developer/Deadron/StepBYOND

-----While you test to see if it's a problem for you as well or not I will test to see which versions it's also not a problem for me & post back, this may take some time depending on what version last worked.
In response to Superbike32
Superbike32 wrote:
OK well I was trying to host & everything too but if you insist I will download other versions for testing, it's a hassle though for sure....

The point is to save the two-man crew a lot of hassle themselves. You can install older builds fairly easily by unzipping them into a separate dir like bin492, bin491, etc. I have quite a few of these for testing past builds. The only real annoyance is having to close everything down and open a new pager in the older build.

As for steps... Join with the link

byond://99.178.137.84:5000

Since I'm not on software bugs now, a direct join link is not an option. I require a downloadable or always-up game to join. I do intend to test this myself at some point, but not immediately.

One other thing that's a possibility is that you can't rule out something in your system configuration being an issue. If your hardware changed, that alone could explain the problem.
I am testing now(new version downloading so if any testing is done with this you can use the download button for the hub...

http://www.byond.com/games/Xerse/RiseOfHeroes

No matter which two games it is for me the problem occurs...

I will be downloading & installing previous versions for testing momentarily & provide you the information of which worked last.
In response to Lummox JR
OK well I provided a link you can use while I was testing, you can just use that instead...as for the game it would always be up 24/7 except when my internet is down for whatever reason or when im testing(now) but the bug happens in ANY two games regardless of what game it is & I have never changed my hardware & certainly have never updated an audio driver since i've had BYOND...

Video drivers occasionally but not often, still not recently & not since I last remembered it working for sure...

No new software/anti-virus, etc....anyways, I will test...

Obviously it saves you trouble so i'm going to do it but the only reason for testing all the other versions is to save trouble when fixing it, understanding the changes & why it may no longer work, not for actually confirming if there is a problem with the latest version for others of the same version....because if there were no problem for others too it could easily contribute to a problem with that users pc...

That is what I was trying to see or rule out is all.
Actually there was no problem with BYOND, I went to a version I KNEW should be working if it was going to work, but it didn't....

However if I set realtek HD Audio Manager, my sound card control program...to 5.1/7.1 surround sound my sound gets sort of erratic or what not...the test button doesn't want to work when BYOND is open for example...& everything else on my computer, windows media player, real player, etc... playing the same files(midis in this case) doesn't stop it from working correctly, only BYOND.

I feel the cause of whatever stops it from doing the testing sounds properly is why it's not allowing 2 BYOND instances to play at the same time.

It only has that problem when a BYOND game is started & set to 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound...

2/2.1 & 4/4.1 options don't show the same problem within BYOND.

I know BYOND isn't really surround sound, doesn't have music & audio effects that are...but I do other things a lot on my pc that are such as movies(even some videos on youtube or movies from netflix & other sources are)...also gaming in general even though my graphics card sucks occasionally I play a game & bare through the lag cause the game is pretty good..
Since you have confirmed this is a settings issue on your system, I'm closing the report.

BYOND cannot be expected to understand intrinsically whether your sound driver is on the right settings or not. FMod, which BYOND uses to play sound, uses a basic interface that is simply expected to work.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
Well my system is set to the correct settings(I use surround sound on my pc...5.1 is even included through the motherboard hook-ups on my pc, not even an external audio card, and all drivers are installed & working fully...

However when BYOND is playing sound the PC doesn't like to play sound from other programs(including the audio manager, for testing tones & such...)

However BYOND only works properly when I change it each time between surround sound & 2 speaker setup manually as BYOND fails to function when the setting is set to surround sound(all of which is hooked up & functioning properly...)
Couldn't this be related to the fact that BYOND is a 32-bit app? All indications are that BYOND is talking to the sound system, and the sound system clearly just has some sharing issues.
Well it seems to not like sharing at all mostly when set to that mode...sometimes it will allow something to start, sometimes it wont....I think because it's on-board...it's not all that powerful & thus when it's doing more it wont let other things start, because in-between beats or when the song was ending & starting over again(a pause in the sound) it would play...

Seemingly for whatever reason though this isn't a problem & I tested the surround sound & it still plays without it set as such which is odd anyways...and it plays correctly...which makes me wonder why theres a problem anyways but only when its SET to surround sound....i guess poor programming or poor thought on the creators end...limiting you because maybe it knows or thinks it cant handle more...or a genuine problem with their software or driver....

Either way I tried all drivers & versions of the program with one another & none of the combinations work as i'd expect...it's not a BYOND problem though...never...all programs do this but I thought it was BYOND only because sometimes it will let other things play anyways...

It's not related to it being 32 or 64-bit though at all, the same problem occurs with every program despite what it's programmed for...and if the drivers/software for 32-bit & 64-bit only are installed the same problem occurs except then I can only play sound from other 32-bit or 64-bit programs & not both...

But I have the version that does both...
I implore you to use real punctuation. I can hardly read what you're writing anymore.