What are you talking about exactly? There's not really any debt involved—Kickstarter isn't a loan service.

Chance took out a $20K loan as seed money to kick this project off.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Chance took out a $20K loan as seed money to kick this project off.

You could say he.. took a chance.. I'll leave.
In response to Ter13
Ah, I see. Well then.
Nothing ventured nothing gained they say.....
We need more ballsy projects on the platform. I think it's just really healthy for the community. Now if we can just prod Ter into finishing his orbital doomsday cannon, we'd finally have the trifecta needed to conquer the wor- I mean... the gaming industry!
Now if we can just prod Ter into finishing his orbital doomsday cannon.

I've actually been lacing the water supply with slow-release mind control agents. The orbital doomsday cannon didn't work out as planned. Turns out the atmosphere scattered the death ray and I wound up accidentally setting parts of Baltimore on fire. Luckily, the media blamed black people so my evil fortress of evil remains undetected.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I've actually been lacing the water supply with slow-release mind control agents.

It seems your mind control agent is defective, you are directly linked to the creation of tumblr- a Darwin Award is the only viable option at this point.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Now if we can just prod Ter into finishing his orbital doomsday cannon.

I've actually been lacing the water supply with slow-release mind control agents. The orbital doomsday cannon didn't work out as planned. Turns out the atmosphere scattered the death ray and I wound up accidentally setting parts of Baltimore on fire. Luckily, the media blamed black people so my evil fortress of evil remains undetected.

Where is the kick-starter.
In response to Kats
I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's horrendously easy to get on Steam Greenlight. Kickstarter? Shoot, a guy raised 10k for asking for money to MAKE A SANDWICH. Kickstarter is a joke. Greenlight is a joke.

Granted, you're pretty much guaranteed to make some money on it once you hit greenlight, but with the refund option now available... Who knows? And even if the game is a success, it doesn't necessarily bring more business to BYOND. I've played a ton of games on steam and I've never cared about the platform it was made on.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's horrendously easy to get on Steam Greenlight. Kickstarter? Shoot, a guy raised 10k for asking for money to MAKE A SANDWICH. Kickstarter is a joke. Greenlight is a joke.

Granted, you're pretty much guaranteed to make some money on it once you hit greenlight, but with the refund option now available... Who knows? And even if the game is a success, it doesn't necessarily bring more business to BYOND. I've played a ton of games on steam and I've never cared about the platform it was made on.

So instead of being excited that more quality projects are being produced on the platform, you're going to be the negative Nancy and trying to set "real world" expectations? Chance has busted his absolute ass to get the project where it is now. I think he deserves praise for that, at the very least. He could just as easily be designing the next Zeta or GOA rip, but he's not. He's producing actual quality work that, in fact, some discovery of the platform will be made and the generally negative response to game developers with the engine will begin to improve.

And at the end of the day, even if the project was a huge bust, Chance would have a lot of assets and code to base a new project off of that he can develop after learning from his mistakes. This is, at the simplest level, viable game development experience for him and basically guarantees that he'll be improving as long as he keeps working on it.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Granted, you're pretty much guaranteed to make some money on it once you hit greenlight, but with the refund option now available... Who knows?

I think it's pretty silly people think Steam's refund option is now going to significantly hurt sales.
In response to Doohl
I can't think of many BYOND games I've played for less than 2 hours and not wanted to hit the refund button on time spent playing them.
In response to Kats
Negative Nancy? More like Realist Rachel. If it has to run through BYOND, there's some negative reviews right there. IF IT DOESN'T, then no traffic goes through BYOND, ya dig? Think of all of the good games you've played. No one calls it "Minecraft, that Java game", they just call it Minecraft. No one cares on what platform games are made on.

If this game goes big and I certainly hope it does, it's not a victory for BYOND because the creators could've made this game on many platforms, they just happened to choose BYOND. It's not a victory for BYOND because since time immemorium, we've been saying don't make BYOND games, make games. Puzzle Pirates isn't a java game, it's a game that was made in Java. Adventure Quest isn't an HTML5 game, it's a game that was made in HTML5. Just like Severed World isn't a BYOND game, it's a game that was made with DM. And no one is going to care, except maybe the BYOND fanboys with their heads in the sand.

And again, let me emphasize the sheer number of horrible games on Greenlight. Getting on Greenlight is like getting a participation award. It's not a victory. I mean, are we looking at the same game? It's a ROTMK ripoff.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I mean, are we looking at the same game? It's a ROTMK ripoff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Emperor:_Rise_of_the_Middle_Kingdom

...I'm not sure if we are?

Anyway, if you don't think that games being produced with DM benefits BYOND, then I have nothing to say to you. That's exactly what this engine wants if it's going to grow: popular games that bring in traffic.
In response to Pixel Realms
Realm of the Mad King, Realm of the Mad God, I dunno. Same thing whatevs.
Realm of the Mad God is absolutely nothing like Severed World beyond being an online 2D MMORPG. I'm not sure why you're even making that comparison.
It looks exactly like it from all of the footage you've shown. So now it's a melee shot instead of a ranged one. Big whoop, I bet it plays the same.
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:
Realm of the Mad God is absolutely nothing like Severed World beyond being an online 2D MMORPG. I'm not sure why you're even making that comparison.

The fact that I'd have to log out to see who you are talking to should say something about the value of what they have to say.
Lugia what are you making?
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
I think it's pretty silly people think Steam's refund option is now going to significantly hurt sales.

http://steamed.kotaku.com/ a-lot-of-people-are-using-steam-refunds-1709938036
Page: 1 2 3 4 5