In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
I have like 50 keys. Def less hubs than that.
You have 50 keys with memberships? And you appear to have at least 8 hub entries on this key alone.
nope. not membership keys.
you guys are missing the point, Trial means, to try, just try a membership for one day. Byond could just limit the Trial membership right?

Well for me, Trial Membership is useless. I'm partially engaged in Business, and I can sense downfall with it, but also I sense something good with it. Instinct...

Trial Membership
In response to Scyrus123
Scyrus123 wrote:
you guys are missing the point, Trial means, to try, just try a membership for one day.
There is no point in a free trial membership, because membership barely gives you anything. BYOND itself is free, there is your trial. If you are a BYOND developer, and want your game listed on the BYOND website, then buy a membership. The only other reason is for a custom icon on the forums. Membership also offers a few other features, but all of them can be found in other places, not only for free, but as generally better services (like file hosting and messaging).

Byond could just limit the Trial membership right?
How would that be different than not having a membership at all?
Some games require Byond membership to have access to membership exlusive items, if this trial was to happen those exlusive item/achievments ect. would go out the window.

I vote no.
Question: Is not having the hub expire when the trial membership ends such a bad thing? Not that I want to see a graveyard of games that cannot update, but I'm not seeing the supposed abuse as such a bad thing.

@Sasuke36910: Those games are in the minority, though implementing it would require a little bit of dev co-operation.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Scyrus123 wrote:
you guys are missing the point, Trial means, to try, just try a membership for one day.
There is no point in a free trial membership, because membership barely gives you anything. BYOND itself is free, there is your trial. If you are a BYOND developer, and want your game listed on the BYOND website, then buy a membership. The only other reason is for a custom icon on the forums. Membership also offers a few other features, but all of them can be found in other places, not only for free, but as generally better services (like file hosting and messaging).

Byond could just limit the Trial membership right?
How would that be different than not having a membership at all?
you have a point, but theres a point on having a membership, we guys are focused on the bad effects of Trial Membership.

There's only one way to end this argument. If no one can think of a way where ''it'' can benefit people, then there's probably no way it will benefit us.
great idea then people will just make keys with different numbers at the end to have unlimited byond memberships narutofan1 narutofan2 narutofan4424...
well without trial its not good... getting adventure quest memebership is more affortable cause cost is similar but membership is forever
I'm obviously a bit late, but since this request is still open, I'll throw in what I think.

Like previous people have stated, Memberships in general don't give a whole lot. While 25$ a year may not be a scratch on your wallet, not many are going to be inclined to pay that when the perks of a membership are so little. If anything, all they want is to create a hub, then leave it at that. Most HUBs are not even updated at all.

Trial memberships would just lead to mass abuse. I can see more mass pages from random spammers, tons of hubs created all over the place, and just more chaos in general with everything.

Sasuke36910 wrote:
Some games require Byond membership to have access to membership exlusive items, if this trial was to happen those exlusive item/achievments ect. would go out the window.

That is a very good point. If trial memberships became an option, all of us who've actually spent time working on projects that allow Byond Member exclusive content would then fall victim to this "trial".

I don't think it's a good idea, the cons outweigh the pros.
I'm a salesman for a local newspaper company. We have subscriptions on a monthly basis that work on Bank Drafts, and we have Pay-in-Advance subscriptions for 13, 26, and 52 weeks (Basically 3, 6, or 12 months, only more accurate).

The monthly draft is cheaper out the front end but costs you a little more over the course of the year. The Advanced Payment makes you shell out a bit more immediately, but overall saves you money in the long haul.

I think that both options are excellent sales design. If BYOND had a monthly draft subscription for Memberships, that would generate a lot more in sales. Members can now sign up for subscriptions for however long they want. If someone signs up for a full year, but decides that they don't want it anymore after 4 months, they're SOL. But with a monthly subscription, they now pay for what they get, rather than wasting any excess they purchase.

EDIT: We did offer a 2 week free trial, but that got canned as soon as it got abused.
In response to Solomn Architect
Solomn Architect wrote:
EDIT: We did offer a 2 week free trial, but that got canned as soon as it got abused.

^.
That's the main point. :D
We'll probably have a 3-month option / $10 (maybe 1-month / $5) with our new Membership system, since that isn't tied to any "one time" features (like the current hub creation, which will be freely available).
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
We'll probably have a 3-month option / $10 (maybe 1-month / $5) with our new Membership system, since that isn't tied to any "one time" features (like the current hub creation, which will be freely available).

Even though the yearly option is inexpensive, hopefully these smaller options will generate Byond more income.

HUBs are going to be creatable by non-members again? Hmm, mixed feelings on this one, but thanks for the heads up. =D
On that note, I'm going to level and say that $25 isn't anything to pay for a wonderful service. People think that they're entitled to more than that but fail to realize that the membership system is to help support the BYOND developers, not to make a killing off of and rip you off. It's a gesture of trust that says, "Thank you for providing us with this wonderful software. You didn't have to make it and I know that I don't have to pay you, but I will anyways because I think that you guys deserve it for all of your hard work."

That's the way I see it, anyways.

EDIT:
Lavitiz wrote:
Solomn Architect wrote:

^.
That's the main point. :D

A membership trial isn't really feasible. Anyone using it would abuse it to death. Within a week of starting the service, it would have to be shut down. Everyone wants "free" things and will take advantage of it at the expense of the developers. My point? Quit being cheap and pitch your nickles Tom's way. He could use a break from ramen for a little while.
There is some people out there with money and wanting to buy a Byond membership. But they want to try it out before they decide to buy the membership. I think you should add a free membership (maybe a day or 2) for those wanting to buy Byond membership and get the full effects of Byond.
Page: 1 2