ID:552064

Poll: Would you be turned off by a game wihtout Pixel Movement

Yes 25% (7)
No 74% (20)

Login to vote.

Would you be turned off by a game that doesn't use pixel movement? (Think from a non-byond players POV)
This is a pretty broad question. For me, it would depend on the type of game that it is.
This question really depends on the game itself. Pixel movement does not make a game good. A good game makes a game good. However at a glance, no. I would not be turned off by a game just because it doesn't use pixel movement.
The only notable tile-based games I've enjoyed were some board games (some actually have curvy tiles, does that count?) and Minesweeper, though I haven't played a lot of the more strategy-type games where moves are limited to distance measured in tiles.

Considering I've only really played games that are not tile-based, I would prefer a game that isn't tile-based.

Also, because BYOND took the time to natively support it, I would love to see more done with it. I've only seen a few decent games made with pixel movement, and some of those were made before native support.
If you're making a Chess game that uses tile-based movement that's fine. If you're making a game that shouldn't use tile-based movement but it does, that's bad. There aren't many types of games where tile-based movement makes the most sense, so in general you should use pixel movement.
No. Of course most of my favorite games don't have tiles. Or graphics...
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
No. Of course most of my favorite games don't have tiles. Or graphics...

lol'd

I think most of the Byond community isn't turned off by tile-based movement, but to counter, I think the community is turned on by Pixel movement.
In response to Truseeker
Truseeker wrote:
I think most of the Byond community isn't turned off by tile-based movement, but to counter, I think the community is turned on by Pixel movement.

I wouldn't base decisions on what the BYOND community is used to. They're also used to games running at 10 frames per second. In any other setting, games that slow would be considered unplayable.
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
I wouldn't base decisions on what the BYOND community is used to. They're also used to games running at 10 frames per second. In any other setting, games that slow would be considered unplayable.

I second that.
In response to Forum_account
Thats why i included "Think from a non-byond players POV"
I went with Yes, simply because I think a lot of people who do not know anything about BYOND could easily be turned off by it. It's a problem I often consider as I debate over using it. As a member of the BYOND Community, it's just a nice bonus to see it in; a feature with a lot of potential if you will. I'd personally like to see it become more common, and polished. Tiles should be an option, not the usual standard. Forum_account honestly said it best.