Believe it or not, I did not use libraries when I first started DM programming. I did, however, study from a few demos that existed during my earlier times with DM and actually picked up on certain methods. I also picked up methods from the old DM guide that is still posted.

If anything, I still very rarely use DM libraries for any projects I build. However, I do attempt to build libraries as useful as possible. I have done about a total of 5 libraries in my lifetime with BYOND. Most of the earlier ones are either obsolete or no longer of use. Here's the current list of libraries I have/had released publicly:

AdditionalTrigFunctions (2006) - First library I ever built to enable a few trig functions that are not included with DM. This library is obsolete as it contains very few procedures and no documentation at all.

CYT Encryption System (2006) - Only released attempt at encryption which does not involve hashing at all. Also obsolete.

ByMail Support Library (2007) - This library was originally released to enable ByMail support for games/projects that wanted to utilize it. Obsolete and no longer of use due to no active webserver. Webserver source is available publicly in PHP form as well.

SByIo Library (2011) - Library that deals with text objects, menu objects, onscreen input, and other features to come. Still active at this time.

Modular HTML (2011) - Originally built this library to see if anyone wants a nice way to handle HTML. Even comes with Javascript interfacing support (though must be enabled for those who want it).

There are also a few other libraries in production that even act as working engines that can used at a modular level. More will be discussed soon of course. :P
I admit I use mini Libraries from 2003-2004 in some of my games... and I also try to read through them and learn more about how they work... I dont just add them in then forget about em... I also try to expand on them, adding in my personal input and correcting bugs the developer made/updating it (since 2004 was along time ago, Byond has obviously changed since then...)... my favorite example being the drunk and dizzy library by Ss4toby I believe... I added in the ability to use drugs and am working on a way for the screen to shake instead of spin for that effect (maybe with some red pixel shading on the screen, to simulate being high...

sadly I agree that some people just add and forget, and just stick to lazyness...
Lol you have no idea how much F_a's libraries have helped me improve the quality of my code.
For me, it is about the library's reliability. I'd say my calculator is reliable so I use it on my math exam rather than manually solving every expression which most likely takes more time.
I bet you're the guy who adds like this.

(1/3) + (1/3) + (1/3) = .99999999? Okay! 3/3 = .99999999!
If the shoe fits, Personally no thank you to libs here. I wont lie i have downloaded a few and peeped, no offense I just like the satisfaction of solving the puzzel. Of course double check efficiency with someone of grater ability. in my case (Gesbo or Falacy). But that's my story, I say to each his own. DO what feels right, even if it allows us who refuse the aid to make inside jokes you wouldn't understand.
In response to Pride Ravanok
Pride Ravanok wrote:
no offense I just like the satisfaction of solving the puzzel

That's the thing, as you get to be a better programmer the puzzle changes. When you start out the hard part is figuring out how to write code that does what you want to do. When you get better, that part is trivial. The problem becomes figuring out what you want to do.

To a novice programmer it looks like using a library is a huge shortcut. To an advanced programmer, the stuff you're skipping is just tedious.

Edit: Using a library is kind of like using a calculator. When you're first learning long division, using a calculator certainly seems like cheating. When you're well past long division and are doing more complicated math, using a calculator is perfectly acceptable.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I bet you're the guy who adds like this.

(1/3) + (1/3) + (1/3) = .99999999? Okay! 3/3 = .99999999!

Hmm? How did you get that? Btw, I use a Sharp calculator, EL-W506 to be exact. It even inputs/outputs fractions. Very reliable huh?

Calculators take the joy out of calculus. There are few things more fun than solving that integral by hand!
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Calculators take the joy out of calculus. There are few things more fun than solving that integral by hand!

Would you say you derive pleasure from it?
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
There are few things more fun than solving that integral by hand!

That is not an integral.
Also .9999... is the same number as 1.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
Also .9999... is the same number as 1.

Rounded up , Yes C:
No, .9999 is not 1. Try it out on your fancy calculator. 1 - .9999 != 0

DivineTraveller wrote:
Would you say you derive pleasure from it?

Oh you... =3
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
No, .9999 is not 1. Try it out on your fancy calculator. 1 - .9999 != 0

He didn't say .9999, he said .9999... and the long standing consensus is that it is 1. :)
I can subtract .999... with as many 9's as I like from 1 and I will still get a non-zero answer. .9999... is approximately 1.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I can subtract .999... with as many 9's as I like from 1 and I will still get a non-zero answer. .9999... is approximately 1.

It's already well outside the scope of this topic, so I'll just leave this here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...
Read the proofs.
Wasn't this interesting? Not anymore.

NOPE.
o-lawd. He got all astronomically calculus on ya'll :o
And if wikipedia isn't enough for you, look at what well-known mathematics expert Vihart has to say
Page: 1 2 3