In response to Ter13
IE is the most inconsistent browser in the world. Features I need are not working while they do on someone on the exactly the same browser.
In response to Somepotato
Somepotato wrote:
IE is the most inconsistent browser in the world.

True, it got a LOT better after 8 however, they started to stick to the standards.
IE is the most inconsistent browser in the world. Features I need are not working while they do on someone on the exactly the same browser.

Again, I'm not trying to say this request is invalid. I'm actually quite the fan of this request myself. It's in my top 10 wishlist.

But I'm offering something you could do NOW that would grant you HTML5/CSS3 access TODAY without having to delay your project or wait around on Lummox.

It works just fine in every environment I've tested it in. So if you have an unusual outcome with edge mode, you should pop into my edge mode tutorial thread, make a report, and let me investigate more thoroughly.

I just don't see the point in complaining about something without demonstrating the problem in the first place.

Sure IE sucks, but it's what we've got. Simply throwing your hands up and refusing to work on anything until Lum does XYZ is just straight up pointless.

That said, once again, I've got hopes that this request happens, but I've always gotten better results from Lummox by implementing what I want myself and then making a request for basic feature X or Y that I spent a long time getting working myself, and demonstrating why there's a feature shortfall, that the request would be useful for many things, and that it would be something easily implemented into the engine.
No one is throwing their hands up. As the principal interface nerd on the goonstation branch of ss13, I have futzed with browser controls A LOT. Detecting the browser version is trivial and implementing CSS3/HTML5 is similarly easy.

The CEF stuff is more about pie-in-the-sky wishes though, like transparent interfaces for a more "actual legit game" feel (as well as of course consistency across platforms).

Basically we're all agreeing and there isn't an argument, is what I'm saying.
Basically we're all agreeing and there isn't an argument, is what I'm saying.

Noted. Past couple posts were pretty difficult to read to get that message. That clears up my confusion.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
http://fossbytes.com/ microsoft-is-finally-killing-internet-explorer-8-9-and-10-ne xt-week/

Looks like they're still going to support the latest version of IE on any OS they still support.

I'm assuming Windows 8 is excluded from this deal since you can upgrade to 8.1 free of charge.

This means that as of next week, Microsoft will drop support for those outdated disasters and only support 9/11.
I'm definitely gonna bump this because I just hit an on client basis bug which puts anybody with it at risk of HTML exploits. Hooray for IE.
We will never escape the hell of IE compatibility and it makes me want to die inside.
For future referencing: You can use Awesomium as it might be more permitting with single threaded apps
IE is torment, save us Lummox.
Awesomium

They have one of the most worthless websites i've ever seen for a library

How does it work? which of the advance/new cutting edge html features does it support? What kind of intergration/hook features does the back end support?

edit: they call things apps so i hate them already
edit2: they do that cancerous bullshit of making the irc link link to a webchat rather then just detail what the address/channel is

I'd have a lot of issue trusting this to be a competent framework developed by a competent team.
From my research CEF is still the best choice. I did keep the results of my partial conversion, so I can pick that project up again sometime.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
From my research CEF is still the best choice. I did keep the results of my partial conversion, so I can pick that project up again sometime.

Awesomium is much easier to implement and contrary to the above is documented well and works very nicely with single threaded applications which is why I'm pushing it over CEF.
From what I've read though, it isn't as well maintained and the devs aren't that helpful. I'd be thrilled with a drop-in implementation but I've heard too many negatives on that one.
Its more maintained than IE and the devs have been helpful to me in the past. If you're unable to get CEF up and running I seriously suggest considering it.
bump
Switching to something other than IE will make wine users use something more recent that ie9.
If wine users could use ie9 I would be sooooo happy. sadly the only version that reliably works is ie8, and thats before most of the changes that brought ie into the millennium (ie9).
https://ultralig.ht/ wonder if this would embed more easily than CEF and the like?
Page: 1 2 3 4