ID:1937608

Hello World, I'm a nerd!
Please accept me, I'm lonely.
Kind regards,
Delta~Zero
It all begins with Zero, it won't ever end until it again becomes zero.
Welcome, Delta0.
Welcome! Are you looking to play games, make games, make friends, or a combination?
Welcome! Where are your friends alpha, and omega?
Thank you, I'm sorry. No further questions (troll face), joking ...
Heheh. Welcome to Byond from me too!
Does anybody have any suggestions on what to program?
Look around the games list and see what kinds of games interest you. I'd recommend against going all-out with an RPG right out of the game, because they're a bit overdone and also they're really ambitious. Even simple games can be a lot of fun, like for instance I used to play a tag game that I quite enjoyed. Board games and card games can be interesting challenges.

I was always partial to Tanks by Shadowdarke, and pretty much all of Leftley's games are among my all-time favorites. Check out Quickstep and Incursion as well. Also Birdland, another classic.
Does anybody have any suggestions on what to program?

Make a competitive PVP mining game where two teams compete to mine the most resources.

I'm 1000% sure that nobody's done that before.
In response to Ter13
Heh. I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to redo Lode Wars, or at least fix the savefile bug. I more or less got tacit permission from Leftley back in the day.
In response to Ter13
Hah. You are really making me want to kick my friends asses for discouraging me from making my project WIP titled Resourceful, which was literally that (AKA heavily inspired by Lode Wars)

Given that is like the third time I've heard something about it in a month, maybe I should pick the idea back up after I get Hunger further along.

Anyways. Delta0, I second Lummox's suggestion. Further more, please no roleplay focused games simply because they're overdone big time lately. If they're your passion then okay, but otherwise I'd steer clear.

Your best bet is probably to start off with something simple, like checkers, then make your own unique twists. Maybe the piece once 'kinged' has a unique power it can use once per turn, maybe certain tiles on the board have special effects, etc.

Taking a simple game like that and making it your own is a fantastic way to learn through experience.
Do you have any note taking techniques, lists, to do, tasks, objectives, tips on how to manage my goals?
In response to Delta0Zero2
Well, some people like to create a design document. You can google to find out more about those, but basically it's a file where you list the primary things your project NEEDS to have, and then apply additional things you can think of if they fit the overall theme and design of your project.

I personally like to keep a mental, or sometimes file based 'scratch off list' where I come up with things I need to get done for the project, and scratch them out as I get them done. It helps me maintain my focus and not get lost jumping from one random thing to another.
In response to Toddab503
Yeah, definitely a list to mark off. I do the same thing, it helps coordinate your efforts on a wide range of issues (especially if you are the only one on the project and have to do the development + play testing).

I also do design documents and drawn maps to help get a decent overall flow for a project. The design document can be setup however you want it to be. The best way to start is have a paragraph or two of what you want the project to be and what you want it to include or produce as a result. The next papers can be lists of all the features you think are cool (or others suggestions) and the pros and cons of each. Always good to keep a notepad around for writing down thoughts or info you may forget and want to remember later.

Some times you have to let a few close friends or even family members try your project out and point out things for you, though; it is always nice to get an alternate perspective or multiple hands/minds/eyes on the issue.
To Lummox JR say Incursion looks amazing unfortunately I don't have another player to actually play with, that and I don't fully know how to play!

To Toddab503 say Thank you for all your support :)

To Mr. RJT say I'm looking to discover my passion for game development and hone my skills simultaneously

To Turboskill say Thank you, hopefully I'll see you around!

To Ter13 say Thank you, for your suggestions. I was thinking about a jukebox checkers, where the winner selects from a repertoire of songs.

To AERProductions say Thanks, I'll look into design documents or flow charts, whatever it is and I'll see to it I tackle a larger project in bite sized chunks. Maybe that way I'll complete something substantial, hmm.
To NNAAAAHH say Three Ways to Destroy the Universe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_aOIA-vyBo
In response to Delta0Zero2
I wouldn't mind doing a Shogi game. It is like chess except more expansive and allows more options. I think it would be a fun addition to Byond and I would love to play/make it myself but unfortunately I have never been able to figure out how to program round-based play (let alone games like checkers or chess).

As for competitive mining, Pondera certainly has a form of it! :)
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Heh. I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to redo Lode Wars, or at least fix the savefile bug. I more or less got tacit permission from Leftley back in the day.

I've seen people mention Lode Wars several times. It appears that the hosted game is dead, possibly due to the deterrent of the bug?

Is there a write up of what the gameplay is like and such? I'd love to look into creating a competitive mining game at some point.
In response to AERProductions
AERProductions wrote:
I wouldn't mind doing a Shogi game. It is like chess except more expansive and allows more options. I think it would be a fun addition to Byond and I would love to play/make it myself but unfortunately I have never been able to figure out how to program round-based play (let alone games like checkers or chess).

Shogi? Sounds interesting, let me look it up on Wikiped-

WTF

Page: 1 2