ID:283094

Resolved
The default sounds used by the BYOND pager have been changed.
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
The current sound effects that are associated with the pager are far too loud, far too long, and generally obnoxious. Softer, single tone type sound effects would be appreciated. You can probably find something on http://www.freesound.org
I agree with this. I often get the crap scared out of me late at night because I have the pager open and my volume is never low enough.
^ This.
Too many times I get pissed off when I forget my speakers are all the way up and I get woken up at 3:00am because somebody logged in. Scares the hell out of me. They should definitely be upgraded. As of now they remind me of the old AOL sound effects.
You can change them manually.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
You can change them manually.

While that may be so, some less tech-savvy people may not be able to/know how. Besides, it's a much more professional approach to have a better default set seeing as the current audio scheme is very.. 2003(web1.0 era).
How about these?
i agree with this. the default sounds are atrocious and need to be replaced.
I also agree with this. I understand that they can be changed by the user, but that is the case with a lot of programs, and they still make sure to use good defaults.

Almost anything would be better than the current default.
Are those sounds in the public domain, Falacy? If so, I'll be glad to look at them and change the defaults up.
I was actually thinking about using the "gunshot" that pager uses in conjunction with the BYOND logo in the LetterBox's credit sequence. But I figured that I'd want the vector art so that I could edit it.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Are those sounds in the public domain, Falacy? If so, I'll be glad to look at them and change the defaults up.

I recorded and edited those myself
Higoten resolved issue with message:
The default sounds used by the BYOND pager have been changed.