ID:678343

(See the best response by DarkCampainger.)
Is anyone else with Google Chrome experiencing any problems connecting to games via the "Play Now" buttons? I have to right click and "Copy link address" and paste it into the "Open Location" in BYOND to connect to games. Nothing outside of my pager or a BYOND game seems to connect.

I have a feeling this problem is on my side, but I was curious whether it was happening to anyone else.
I'm using Google Chrome, and I just tried a play now button and it worked just fine. Does it happen with every game, and every time? or is it just some sort of weird occasional occurrence?
Every link to a BYOND game of any sort.
When you type in a byond url (eg byond://Silkgames.NEStalgia) in the url box of your browser, does that launch your pager? If not, then the protocol isn't installed properly, so try reinstalling BYOND.
Yeah, it didn't work. Funny, because I just installed 494.1132 last night. It was happening before then, though. I didn't think much of it then, however.
Wait, so did reinstalling fix it? You have to do the full install from the .exe. Maybe you don't have the correct permissions to write the registry entries it needs for the protocol?
Reinstalling did not fix it. I don't see why I wouldn't have the correct permissions.
Does the byond:// url work in IE and/or Mozilla?
It does not work in GC, IE, FF, Opera, or Lunascape. Only other one to try is Safari, but...I highly doubt it.
Seems like the protocol isn't installed or isn't installing itself.

If Tom could kindly give you the structure of the registry for where the string is held - ie

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > BYOND or Dantom > file/s_to_edit

Then we could diagnose the issue it may just be you are missing something and we can fix that manually.

Can you access Start > run > (type in) regedit
Yeah, I can get into my registry. That's why I don't see any reason for permissions issues.
In response to Albro1
Well when Tom comes back with the registry path we may be able to figure out what has happened.
Best response
See if you have this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond

Its contents should look like this:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond]
@="URL:BYOND protocol" "URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\BYOND\\bin\\byond.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond\shell]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond\shell\open]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\BYOND\\bin\\byond.exe \"%1\""

(Chrome v18 seems to be working fine for me)
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
See if you have this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond

Its contents should look like this:
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond]
> @="URL:BYOND protocol" > "URL Protocol"=""
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond\DefaultIcon]
> @="C:\\Program Files\\BYOND\\bin\\byond.exe"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond\shell]
> @=""
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond\shell\open]
> @=""
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\byond\shell\open\command]
> @="C:\\Program Files\\BYOND\\bin\\byond.exe \"%1\""
>

(Chrome v18 seems to be working fine for me)

Yup, I have all of that.
Can you check in BYOND/bin and make sure that you have a file called exactly byond.exe? (or if you changed the directory for where BYOND is installed, check that the path for where you installed it is the same as the registry key.)
I have byond.exe. I install it in my documents, where it always installs it. Everything is correct. No idea what the problem is.
byond.exe doesn't not belong in the My Documents section..

the exe needs to be C:\Program Files\BYOND\bin
A.T.H.K is right, you may be having problems because BYOND was installed in my documents. You may have better luck by uninstalling BYOND and reinstalling BYOND, but changing the Destination folder to C:\Program Files\BYOND
Just uninstalled and reinstalled, rechecked my registry, and still nothing. This is very strange.
Very indeed perhaps remove BYOND once again and run CCleaner's registry clean up tool that will force the above registry keys to be removed.

Then install and check, it's a very odd problem you are having....
Page: 1 2