ID:713272

Prepare yourselves !

http://forum.ragezone.com/f762/

For the influx of noobs and sadly more rips!
Surely there'll be influx of curious parties as well. We might be able to snag some users who can see the good in BYOND. =D

I might register and say my hello. Probably squash that 3D in the works comment there before 500 new users all rush in expecting an in-development 3D engine. ;)
The first game submitted there is a fan-game. Figures.
When I first read that, Empirez, I was wondering just how embarrassing-a-submission I was in store for...

Hey now, that's not the worst fan-game that could have been submitted. It's probably one of the best if the truth be told. And he followed their forum rules and presented himself formally, that's just fantastic. =)

Considering there's some three hundred thousand users registered to that forum, I wonder how long it'll be before we see any of the new faces.
Initiating countdown until the anime crowd floods that site with a million rips and gets us kicked out of there like they have with every other online community.

It is good to see that we may be potentially getting new developers though!
Whether it's good or not, it's still a fan-game. If any new people do become interested, their first impression is going to be the same impression everyone has been getting of us for years: this is just an engine to make anime games with.

I'll submit my 7DRL entry there when I get it finished. Maybe if we can drown out all the anime with our own quality projects, we'll look more legit. If we're to attract developers like you say, the best thing to do is to not post a bunch of Naruto, Bleach, and Dragon Ball nonsense.
Well, as long as we can all agree that only BYOND members should go there, 'cause remember, you NEED a hub to make and distribute a game. ;)
While it may be true we will attract more users ...

The majority of users on RaGEZONE are just like here ...

Fangame source stealing / ripping kind of people...

I have been a member on RaGEZONE for a long time now the site is exactly like here... except the moderators give warnings and treat you well :P
Eh, RaGEZONE is probably a good place to direct people without memberships to advertise.
Isn't this exactly what happened with somethingawful and ss13?
Apparently 3D is under construction and coming to BYOND. NOBODY INFORMED ME.
I like the tutorial paraphrased by this "Thunda" guy:
http://forum.ragezone.com/f765/ guide-chapter-1-history-byond-841286/

It oddly looks a lot like the DM Guide's Foreword:
http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/foreword.html

Probably no harm done, though. I just can't get over the fact that a 3D engine is in development that will revolutionize BYOND games.
"Thunda"'s key is vikoss you can see it in the tutorials...

[EDIT] - Joined: Dec 17 2010
The kid who keeps arguing that 3D is possible and 'under construction' with BYOND is starting to bother the hell out of me.. XD
In response to Kumorii
I want to chalk it up to him not knowing what he's talking about at all or referring to the fancy but entirely unplayable 3D tech demos that we see sometimes.

That or maybe he's referring to Coggoid?
In response to LordAndrew
Bad idea :)
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
I want to chalk it up to him not knowing what he's talking about at all or referring to the fancy but entirely unplayable 3D tech demos that we see sometimes.

That or maybe he's referring to Coggoid?

I'm hoping at least he's thinking of the useless tech demos although none of them demonstrate true 3D.

If he's referring to Coggoid, he's missing the fact that it has nothing to do with BYOND other than some syntax similarities.
3D is possible if one can properly (and somehow) utilize client-side DLLs/SOs (an important ingredient if you ask me). Of course one may have to sacrifice BYOND's interfaces for a bit to achieve such capabilities.

However, one can use DM and client-side DLLs/SOs together where the former could be used to build a special launcher or front-end that will lead up to the actual 3D application.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Isn't this exactly what happened with somethingawful and ss13?

No, because apparently somethingawful's community is a whole bunch more intelligent, or at the least benefits from blind odds of someone being able to string a thought together being higher. That and the hook up between SS13 and the goons involved people that could type.

The BYOND section itself there isn't exactly that bad though, so credit where credit is due. I'd rather see this kind of stuff than no outreach at all.