ID:200100

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Duplicates:id:717013
1 Month Memberships should be available for ~$5.00
This has been discussed somewhere else by a few people, as i remember rightly, there was some micro money managing thingys which would be very taxing.

But besides that as someone else mentioned, perhaps a week or two membership trial that people could apply for maybe :O
In response to Teka123
I like this idea. Maybe it could be possible to have it so that those with a 1 month membership are restricted to editing hubs and not creating new ones so it doesn't deter from the main offers.
I'd only be for this if the trial hubs disappeared after the trial was over.
Bumpditty
I imagine that this would be pretty infeasible for BYOND, as there's a noted problems with charge-backs and claims disputes after Timmy takes daddy's card and uses it without asking him to buy a membership, and each of these charge-backs incur a fee.

This was the reason BYOND Dimes were stopped, as I recall. So yeah, charging too little for a minimum-term membership ( I should imagine less than about $10 ) is actually just a financial liability.
In response to Deathguard
Deathguard wrote:
I imagine that this would be pretty infeasible for BYOND, as there's a noted problems with charge-backs and claims disputes after Timmy takes daddy's card and uses it without asking him to buy a membership, and each of these charge-backs incur a fee.

This was the reason BYOND Dimes were stopped, as I recall. So yeah, charging too little for a minimum-term membership ( I should imagine less than about $10 ) is actually just a financial liability.

Could we not have set plans for the "oldies" ... trusted buyers *
Sure, in theory, but how do we decide who's a 'trusted buyer?' It just becomes a hassle of people wanting to be exceptions, or back-and-forthing about where the arbitrary 'you are an oldie' goalposts are.

And if they've been around a long time and a member before, it'd probably make more sense for them to just buy a membership as they exist at the minute. The older community members tend to have jobs, stable income, and the spending freedom required to drop a debit or credit card fee for a year's BYOND membership.
* People are a lot more likely to buy a shorter term at a much lower price, even if it would cost more in the long run
* People are a lot less likely to file scams on a payment of a few dollars vs some 25+ dollar payment
* Those larger payments technically lose even more money if they are filed as a scam, because you still have to pay the same fee, plus you lose the base 25+ dollars instead of 5
* If BYOND took proper punishment methods, people would be less likely to file scams. As is, pretty much nothing happens but getting your membership removed. Both the buyer (by ID/IP/account name/real name/email/etc) and the account that was gifted (if there was one) (just by account) should be banned in as many ways possible until a legit payment is made to get their account back in good standing. The buyer should also be banned from ever making another payment.

BYOND Dimes are a different issue. As they were basically a form of currency, you could buy them, give them to yourself, then call scam and double your money, while BYOND lost triple. That isn't an issue with memberships.
* People are a lot more likely to buy a shorter term at a much lower price, even if it would cost more in the long run

Depends on the user and their financial sense, but agreed with regards limited-income users or younger users.

* People are a lot less likely to file scams on a payment of a few dollars vs some 25+ dollar payment

Not true, as was the case with BYONDimes.
Well. True, in that they're less likely in theory, but false in that they still file enough complaints that it's just not worth doing.

* Those larger payments technically lose even more money if they are filed as a scam, because you still have to pay the same fee, plus you lose the base 25+ dollars instead of 5

Losing any amount of revenue is a blow.

* If BYOND took proper punishment methods, people would be less likely to file scams... ...banned from making payments.

This does happen, as far as I'm aware.
Deathguard wrote:
Well. True, in that they're less likely in theory, but false in that they still file enough complaints that it's just not worth doing.
For that to be the case, you would have to be expecting a 20+% scam rate

Losing any amount of revenue is a blow.
If anything, this should help lessen the losses.

This does happen, as far as I'm aware.
Banned from payments, perhaps, but I don't think it happens to their BYOND account.
Honestly I just want to share the love and give some people a 1 month membership ... as at this point in time I don't have the $30 for two six month memberships..

Obviously it's kind of a downfall for BYOND they are missing out on some $$$ ...
For that to be the case, you would have to be expecting a 20+% scam rate

BYONDimes. Ceased to operate. Because the charge-back rate was so high.
It's not malicious scammers mostly, it's people taking daddy's credit card without asking, as I said before. That was the problem; not people on BYOND scamming BYOND. People's parents or banks claiming money back.
It's pretty easy; Daddy notices a charge on his card, and then they just go "That charge doesn't look right to me, I'll complain." BYOND ended up making a loss.

@ATHK; just buy one of them a membership, if you're that eager to donate. They're not missing out on money, they're protecting the assets they have.
Deathguard wrote:
@ATHK; just buy one of them a membership, if you're that eager to donate. They're not missing out on money, they're protecting the assets they have.

That would of been the obvious but then I feel slack for not giving the other user a membership...
Well, presently you've given out 0 memberships to people you like, so +1 is almost certainly an improvement. Your current argument is basically 'I can't give everyone in the world food, so I won't give food to anyone unless the world makes food cheaper!'

The fact you can't afford to buy 2 gift memberships and the fact BYOND doesn't offer very short, cheap memberships are tangentially related. If you want to give out a gift membership, do it. If you don't, don't. Either way, you can't really hold gift memberships as this hostage/reward deal for 1-month memberships.
Deathguard wrote:
Well, presently you've given out 0 memberships to people you like, so +1 is almost certainly an improvement. Your current argument is basically 'I can't give everyone in the world food, so I won't give food to anyone unless the world makes food cheaper!'

I think you are taking this a bit out of control here ... As a moderator you should know better...
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
I think you are taking this a bit out of control here ... As a moderator you should know better...

Actually, he's completely right.

Learn to use self-evaluation so you can see your flaws.
I don't know why you're even arguing in favor of this still. While the idea is not bad; the execution would be flawed. Mostly due to it being micro-transactions, and the fees, if someone were to challenge it, would actually take money away from BYOND, this has been already explained countless times.

The members who would buy low-costing memberships for short periods, would be those who think they can squeeze out 5 dollars out of their mother's or father's credit cards without being caught, but shiz. They get caught. The transaction would be challenged. While such transactions and charge-backs might work without affecting Falacy's Strai Games subscriptions, it won't do any good for BYOND.
In response to Albro1
How is this a flaw? you have gone off topic ...

The fact is BYOND doesn't allow 1 + Month memberships..
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
The fact is BYOND doesn't allow 1 + Month memberships..

And it shouldn't, unless a feasible business model can be created that would not affect BYOND when dealing with charge-backs and other fees.
Page: 1 2 3 4