ID:2214096

Hi guys, I started using Byond in 2007 playing FreezeTag Hideaway and Castle, along with a few Naruto clones and whatnot. After almost a decade of being gone, I'm back!

I want to start a career in GameDev and I want to start playing more byond games. I'm assuming alot of things have changed in the past decade, so if anyones up for it, i'd love to know whats changed with Byond and give any suggestions on how to start making small games on here.

Also, game recommendations would be awesome too!

Thanks guys, it's good to be back.
I want to start a career in GameDev and I want to start playing more byond games. I'm assuming alot of things have changed in the past decade, so if anyones up for it, i'd love to know whats changed with Byond and give any suggestions on how to start making small games on here.

On game development: The best way to start game developing is to make a game you want to play. Use your inspiration as a player of games to create a game like-minded players can enjoy. If you do this and treat game development less like a career or job and more like a hobby, there is a little room for failure.

On BYOND games: This is just my personal opinion, but there are very few BYOND games worth playing. This mainly has to do with the fact that many of the remaining games are log-trainers and/or non-interactive roleplay games. I'm not a fan of either personally; I prefer something skill-oriented and fast-paced with an emphasis on fun PvP.

There are some newer games though that you might find interesting. A brief list of the ones I'm aware of:
  • Feed by Kumorii. I tested this game once. It was surprisingly fun, though I'm not too much a fan of endless wave games. Would personally recommend as a good time passer when you need that break from programming or whatever and just want to do some monster killing.
  • Holy Grail 3 by YutPut. Fun game with gameplay similar to Super Smash Bros. with added twists. Easily my favorite project of his. Would recommend.
  • Eternia: Battlegrounds by WritingANewOne. This is a PvP remake of Eternia: Roleplay. It's still in early development so there's not much to do outside of mindless grinding, but it's coming together with the help of Nadrew. If you don't mind grinding hard and doing some early testing, feel free to check this game out. I'm personally waiting for more content before committing.
  • Soul Wars by Zagros5000. This is an anime-inspired game, drawing influence from popular magical sword-fighting titles such as Bleach, to create the world that is Soul Wars. This game isn't my style, as it throws you into a mindless grind from the jump, with little to guide you and give you an idea of what you should expect. Despite my personal opinion, Soul Wars has built a decent sized community and it is one of the few new projects that managed to reach a release (and even uses pixel movement), so I felt it deserved a honorable mention.

I'm also making a game with my brother that I think you'll like since you have (or had) an interest in Naruto, which provided the base inspiration for the world. You can check out a recent video (about 2-3 weeks old) of early combat testing on our hub. A lot of work has been put in since then and I'm planning on starting a developer log series in the near future as to begin spreading awareness.
Holy crap, this was extremely helpful! As far as game making goes, I've made a few outside of byond and just want to do small little interactive multiplayer games on here. Although I love the old naruto clones, I'm thinking I'd like to focus on little space adventures and fun little environments, I just don't know if it's hard to do some of the networking/server work to actually have multiplayer.

And thanks for the game reccomendations, I'm going to check them out and see what I like. You are extremely thorough and it is really kind of you to do so, so thank you, I won't forget it.

Also, I saw your development video, it looks really cool, I like how you can fight things in realtime, instead of the old school clunky byond turned based style combat.
I just don't know if it's hard to do some of the networking/server work to actually have multiplayer.

BYOND has built-in networking, so you never have to worry about that part. That's easily one of the strong points of the engine: you can pretty much focus entirely on game creation and not have to worry about the more difficult aspects such as networking.

Also, I saw your development video, it looks really cool, I like how you can fight things in realtime, instead of the old school clunky byond turned based style combat.

Appreciate that! Much more where that came from.
I'd like to inject here that Feed is under active development and if you want to play, you'll need to catch a beta server. Fortunately we host betas fairly often, but we only notify those in our Discord community. Feel free to pop in, as everybody in there is super awesome and friendly!

Good luck with your endeavors!
I agree. Joining the Discord is indeed of paramount importance for we control the memes of production.
And of course you skip right past the most important game: space station 13
In response to Monster860
Monster860 wrote:
And of course you skip right past the most important game: space station 13

No offense, but you skipped past the part where I said newer. I doubt he (or anyone familiar with BYOND) needs to be reminded of SS13's existence.
Speak for yourself. I was unaware of SS13's existence right up until the moment Monster860 mentioned it. Thank you Monster860 for that valuable information. I am now playing SS13 as we speak. So far, I've slipped over a wet floor, got clobbered over the head with a toolbox, arrested by Shitcurity for a crime I didn't commit and then got thrown out of an airlock by a man wearing a clown suit. 10/10, would partake in this fuckery again.
I would also like to point out that Feed isn't an endless wave game -- it's just that we're not even at an alpha build yet so endless waves is all you can see. The final build will have 100 rounds with a stage change every 5 and a boss round every 10. :)
In response to FKI
Soundz is your brother?
Alright, i'll bounce onto the discord, and yeah SS13 is a popular one ive heard about many times hahahha.

The feed does look cool, definitely promising if the devs keep at it.

And holy crap, built in networking, thats AWESOME! That saves alot of time.

Dubious Game Studios said:
Soundz is your brother?

True.

Trickytyfly said:
And holy crap, built in networking, thats AWESOME! That saves alot of time.

Any idea what you're going to be making?
I was thinking about a small space exploration game.