ID:812897

Resolved
BYOND Version:494
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 13.0
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
BYOND's auto-update via the pager fails unless the pager is running in administrator mode.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Run BYOND normally.
Begin updating.

Expected Results:
BYOND should trigger a UAC prompt then install the update.

Actual Results:
The installation fails.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When the BYOND pager is ran as administrator.

Workarounds:
Run byond.exe as administrator.
Seems BYOND can't do anything without administrator rights.... it kind of makes me seem more malware'ish ...

On a side note the HTML5 flash player will fix some issues at least..
Well, it needs administrator rights when the game is initially installed in Program Files or some other non-user folder. I don't see why that "seems malwareish". If there's a way we can popup a dialog granting permissions to do this, that'd be better.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Well, it needs administrator rights when the game is initially installed in Program Files or some other non-user folder. I don't see why that "seems malwareish". If there's a way we can popup a dialog granting permissions to do this, that'd be better.

I have seen a few programs that do this, although that's useless info since I can't remember the names of them ;)

[EDIT] - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssecurity/ thread/306f894f-e6e0-47e9-bef5-84c60c84c41b

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756929.aspx

May help
I see nothing wrong with a program asking for admin permission when installing/updating. The problem here is BYOND isn't and instead fails to update at all.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When I tried to update BYOND, when not ran in administrator mode, it says it couldn't and you have to download it from the site. So I ran BYOND in administrator mode after that, tried to update and it updated succesfully.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Start the BYOND pager in non-administrator mode.
2. Click on the Update button.

Expected Results:
Succesful update BYOND.
Actual Results:
Can't update BYOND and says that you will have to download it from the site.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? /
In other user accounts? I don't know.
On other computers? I don't know.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When you run BYOND in administrator mode.
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Pre-500, perhaps in the earliest versions of 500 as well.
Workarounds:
Run BYOND in administrator mode.
Stephen001 resolved issue with message:
I'm not sure what version resolved this, but a fresh install of 504 on my laptop saw updates handled okay.