Any ideas concerning additional actions I can throw into this guy's ai? Right now he's just 'big guy that walks and swings slow' It's also really easy avoiding his swing (so I'll try increasing the size of his damage frame).
In response to Ganite
Just out of curiosity, does rolling do anything yet, or is it just visual? I can't really tell from the gif.
In response to Bl4ck Adam
helps get away from enemy and like basically to be evasive
Maybe some sort of enraged mode where he gets a little faster at low hp, or even just gets a little more enraged every hit. Could put a visual indicator if you wanted too, like he flashes red faster the more enraged he gets, or an exhale visual (like when a bull exhales on cartoons)
Bl4ck Adam wrote:

Any ideas concerning additional actions I can throw into this guy's ai? Right now he's just 'big guy that walks and swings slow' It's also really easy avoiding his swing (so I'll try increasing the size of his damage frame).

Could make him charge variable or longer distances where he can become a nuisance later on because he might charge back on screen when you least expect it.

If he breaks objects that he crashes into, this could make for some good puzzles. Make "secret rooms" easy to spot but block them with crates that can only be broken by charging creatures. fire breathing creatures, rare explosives and etc. Gives players a reason to think twice before killing everything they see which is neat.

In response to PopLava
PopLava wrote:
Bl4ck Adam wrote:

Could make him charge variable or longer distances where he can become a nuisance later on because he might charge back on screen when you least expect it.

If he breaks objects that he crashes into, this could make for some good puzzles. Make "secret rooms" easy to spot but block them with crates that can only be broken by charging creatures. fire breathing creatures, rare explosives and etc. Gives players a reason to think twice before killing everything they see which is neat.
That's a really good idea PopLava! I'll def keep that in mind.

More testing. I've lowered his attack cooldown a bit too much. He enrages now and it's pretty dope.
the pixel art and animations are ok, the programming looks like ass
In response to Spartality
The first enemy that I programmed were bats, so they ignored falling. With the last one displayed, the gif reminded me to set flags to prevent any additional actions during the fall state. Presently, that's been taken care of ;)

I plan on adjusting the mob's damage frames as well :)

Work in progress
he was talking about my gifs but i took down cause i see the criticism here hasn't changed.
ganite, you're being overly sensitive. this thread is for criticism..
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
he was talking about my gifs but i took down cause i see the criticism here hasn't changed.

You really do need to take some time to examine your programming skills in detail. The stuff you make always looks pretty neat. You just run into problems that you never solve because you get too easily alienated by either criticism or poor implementation that you wind up chalking up to engine problems.

The more you ask questions about specific patterns and approaches, the less like criticism things will start to feel like, and the more of a conversation between equals you'll realize it becomes.

You've got a flair for presentation, and I've never seen you make something that anyone should be ashamed of.
i wasnt talking about black adams game i was talking about ganites but the difference in responsese shows a lot about what u shouldnt and should do when someone says ur game is ass
Saying something someone did is "ass" isn't healthy criticism. At the very least, elaborate on what makes it "ass".
In response to Dubious Game Studios
Dubious Game Studios wrote:
Saying something someone did is "ass" isn't healthy criticism. At the very least, elaborate on what makes it "ass".

does it really require elaboration lets be honest
Spartality wrote:
i wasnt talking about black adams game i was talking about ganites but the difference in responsese shows a lot about what u shouldnt and should do when someone says ur game is ass

I for one would be interested to hear you elaborate what you know about programming patterns. What of worth you could offer though, I don't think is actually a question.
Yeah I mean if the guy said the reason it was ass i wouldn't be so stuck on critism and your right Ter 100%. I haven't really posted my work in awhile and it sucks to see soon as i posted someone says its "ass" which isn't health criticism while everyone else gets actual criticism.
on that note not gonna let one person stop me from showing off my game so here are the gifs again

give me same art assets same everything i will make a maseterpiece not even close

@Ganite: It looks good. I like the color palette on the main character sprite a lot, it has a lot of personality. Some of the resources seem a bit out of place though, they're not exactly stylistically compatible in some places. I feel like the AI could use a bit more of a controlled pattern with clear tells for when they're about to attack as well -- right now with them just charging at you it doesn't seem like there's much room for strategy. The text seems... off center? Just a little odd there.

Great job overall though! The animations look awesome and I can't wait to see how it turns out with a little more spit shine. :)
In response to Unwanted4Murder
i haven't actually fixed the placement for status effects and hit effects for mobs other then the character sprite so that's the main reason some of the stuff looks off. All the art I'm using is old stuff i got and other resources.. *credit to VixiV for the base*

I totally understand what you mean about the AI though. The way my AI is set up is that mobs have an attack pattern that contains 4 phases but right now by default that's just all attack right now lol

-lets just be glad it aint a fan-game I'm doing anymore :)
Page: 1 2 3 ... 304 305 306 307 308 ... 349 350 351