In response to Kitsueki
Kitsueki wrote:
In the edit, a lot of the muscle form and tone was removed. The shading is more accurate, but the body is actually changed considerably.

Although, things like the face look much better in the edit.

I agree. I like the edit and will use it when I finish fixing the lineart (Which I am doing whenever I get time to), but I don't like how much muscle detail it lost.
Form muscle detail with the line art and shade it after if you're going for a really built look. And with the shading you can define more muscle is done correctly. Look at references for help, doing it off the noggin isn't really good if you aren't an anatomist expert or something lol.
In response to Chaorace
Chaorace wrote:
Form muscle detail with the line art and shade it after if you're going for a really built look. And with the shading you can define more muscle is done correctly. Look at references for help, doing it off the noggin isn't really good if you aren't an anatomist expert or something lol.

Not so much built as tone. It is supposed to be a fairly slim man with tone, defined muscles (I know, the arms ended up a lot bigger than I intended). I just went with the anatomy I've self-learned from years of drawing. Lol
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
Not so much built as tone. It is supposed to be a fairly slim man with tone, defined muscles (I know, the arms ended up a lot bigger than I intended). I just went with the anatomy I've self-learned from years of drawing. Lol

Still use reference, self-learned is good too ONLY if it's correct. Not doubting you or anything, but it's pretty hard to know where muscles and proportions are without reference, everyone makes mistakes.

Cleaned up the lineart a bit, redid some of the shading. I could use some help making the lineart less jaggy. Unless I missed somewhere, though, it is all one pixel thick. Got rid of a color on the robe and the belt. Trashed the shading on the arms for now.

Try to get a more realistic color choice, that yellow isn't working lol. Your colors are washed out. Try to go for more contrast and change the color from yellow. You can always use someone else's skin palette. Colors don't belong to people so it isn't ripping l0l. Infact, a lot of people do that when they're practicing color choice and shading. It's also a good idea to compare your palette to another palette and see how you can improve yours. Anyways I'm gonna head to bed, think about what I said, it'll help you greatly.

Your perspective on the face is off a bit as well.

For the lines, Keep it consistent

ex.)

4 pixels 3 pixels 2 pixels 1 pixel is good

dont do
3 pixels 1 pixel 4 pixels 2 pixels, this is not good and you will make it sloppy, test it out an play around with it. Your colors are also washed out.

Keep your order consistent
That yellow is a realistic color choice, there are people alive with that shade of skin.

For the smoothness, add in surrounding pixels that are more 'faded', if you intended to make it a render they could just simply be semi transparent. This way, they smooth the line by giving it a more full look. Remember, realistically outlines do not exist.

Outlines are the eye's perception of perspective, lighting, depth, contrast.. and such. You could simply not add in an outline at all, and even then, if you did the contrast right it would appear as though there is one.
Page: 1 2