ID:2342730

Resolved
Images with RESET_TRANSFORM could cause crashes in some cases, and likely led to other weird behavior.
BYOND Version:512
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 63.0.3239.132
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
while hosting an online game, but also sometimes while in single player mode(?) every image(?) on the screen gets its icon replaced with a random icon in the .rsc

This happens randomly

It makes games unplayable in the beta

I think that these are screen objects
This happens way too often for me as well. There seems to be a shit ton of cache bugs that have been floating around forever.
This has been a thing for awhile now, not just in beta but on stable and older versions aswell, it just shows more often now in beta, thats all.
The issue with this kind of stuff is that we have no proper tools to debug this kind of stuff, and we probably never will get advanced debug tools at all. Its quite depressing sometimes.
Yut Put wrote:
Yeah in every single playtest I have done in the last 24 hours within 10 minutes a tester has reported this bug, among with numerous dream seeker crashes, screen freezes, icons flashing, etc

I think this problem could be related to this issue. I only started seeing these artifacts you described at the same time the bugs I described (images not appearing correctly, and most recently consistent client hangs) in my topic started occurring.
I moved this to Beta Bugs because this seems most likely to be something beta-related rather than the much older issue, although I don't see how it could be anything except image objects. Screen objects shouldn't be doing this. (Neither should images, but I can imagine ways that images could get messed up, considering I'm still chasing an image bug.) The screenshots you showed are consistent with an image on an area being the source of the problem.

First off, can you narrow down which versions you've seen this in? Since 512 hasn't hit the stable release yet I need a full version number.

Is there a test case you can provide or any info that could help narrow it down? I could look at the source and try to find things too. Also if you were to turn on the status bar on your interface, what do you see when you mouse over the broken icons?

When you say this happens randomly, in what way does it happen? Does the game start out that way? Does it happen at some point during play? (And if during play, does switching to software rendering and back fix it?) Are you aware of situations that cause it to happen more often, or particular places in the game it might trigger more reliably?
This is probably of no help, but my SS13 build is also affected, using latest beta my players seem to be crashing every so often.

One special circumstance is the AI which uses a lot of images to make turfs visible or covered. But I have little more for you..
I've seen a lot of instances of objects or mobs appearing as something else in games visually for years now, so it's not a newer bug, but probably something more prevalent in recent builds, as already mentioned by S10 Games.

From personal experience, it's happening when I stay online too long on a game that's being hosted. Or maybe it's from a game that's hosted too long in itself. Or it could be a cache issue.

Anyways, whatever it is, it's real and seems to be fixed if you relog.
Using reconnect does not fix it for me but completely closing and opening does

But yut puts seems to be a diff issue since the one I see is turfs/objects having their icons replaced with random icons in the rsc
Anything you can provide for testing would be helpful. I want to get on this issue right away.

Yut, your mention of the frame rate does make me wonder if there's a garbage collection issue in play. If that's the case, I might be able to make the problem occur more reliably than it does now and therefore fix it. But I'll need something to look at first.
Unfortunately... build *1404 just magically became unusable for me... where I was getting no client hangs before, I am now getting them consistently. However, the area where I was consistently getting a hang in build *1406 (the character creation issue discussed over Pager) has not posed an issue in this build.

Either way, the frustration is real as there is no obvious method to the madness and has made anything above *1404 unplayable.

I'm going to muster up the patience and try my hand at a test case once more at some point -- but until then, I'll be downgrading and hoping things get better.
This looks like the error one of my library's users can reproduce consistently. I'll message them with this link and try to get them to send you a test case. What makes it particularly odd is the steps to reproduce:

Open Game in DS.
Save map to file using DMM Suite.
View* DMM file in DM.
Reboot.
Junk on screen.

* I don't remember if you have to edit anything or just view the file. Either way, you don't have to save the file to disk.

I understand that isn't actionable information, so I'll try my best to get them to reply here.
This used to happen in Hazordhu, but to a lesser extent. I think it's caused/made worse when you update the rsc (and/or dmb) by replacing the files while the world is running. You can't compile if the files are in use, but if you run the game from a separate directory, you can compile and replace the other files manually.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Images with RESET_TRANSFORM could cause crashes in some cases, and likely led to other weird behavior.
Although I can't confirm the random icons and the lighting troubles are from this issue, I think it's extremely likely.