ID:2272129

Resolved
Limited client-side profiling has been added to Dream Seeker.
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
A number of players on our server complain about their client locking up for short periods or having poor performance. Since these complaints seem to be independent of server load, it'd be nice if we could have performance profiling on the client's end, so that we can find out what we're doing wrong or doing too much of and fix that.

As it is, we only have suspicions of things that are high cost operations for the client. Trying to resolve issues like the one above is incredibly frustrating when the only way we have to know about what's causing the issue is to ask someone to look through thousands of lines of code or hoping that a years old mention of an operation being slow still applies today.
There is already cpu and networking profiling.
Open options & messages pane in any byond game withe debug mode enabled and it'll be under server >> profile... in the menu bar.

assuming this is what you meant.
He's asking for client profiling, not server profiling.
Correct.
bump
We need more features that benefit actual players not more obscure "dev crap"

Players never experience any of these features. It's meaningless to them. Meanwhile we have all these problems driving new people away from BYOND that could be fixed. Like streamlining the process of players actually finding and joining games they want to play.
We game devs do all we can to bring new players to our games but it is byond itself which does everything it can to drive them away. We have massive hurdles to cross just to let players join our games.

View this poll. Vote in this poll. Learn from the results what real players want. https://www.strawpoll.me/15449663
Making a non-fangame would go a long way. BYOND cannot put fangames at the top of the listing.
In response to Nadrew
But can remove dead games and highlight new games.
In response to Tens of DU
Tens of DU wrote:
We need more features that benefit actual players not more obscure "dev crap"

Players never experience any of these features. It's meaningless to them. Meanwhile we have all these problems driving new people away from BYOND that could be fixed. Like streamlining the process of players actually finding and joining games they want to play.

How about making a game worth playing. If I learned one damn thing from SS13 its that it is DEFINITELY bigger than your code, and definitely more shit code than any project on here.

Yet we run quite stable and fine on a tick_lag of 0.33, missing approx. 1 tick every 15 minutes.

BYOND is not to blame for half the shit people blame it for, I used to be like that "Shit engine ugh its so slow" until I actually learned and realized, its improper code, lack of knowledge and just shit tactics that make a game run like crap.

If your game constantly freezes up then its probably best you look at yourself and your 'game devs', and your own code and try to work that out first. Because it is most likely related to yourself, not BYOND.
(I really wouldn't call myself a game developer if i knew how to code in BYOND but thats just me)
I'm just adding a note here that I've looking into this further, and have looked into some better timing routines for this purpose.

Short-duration freezes on the client end, like stutters, could well be explained by the garbage collection process. If too much garbage is thrown at them at once, sometimes they have to do more work to clean it all up. Generally the only way to cause the client to show a noticeable performance drop however is via extreme icon churn.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Limited client-side profiling has been added to Dream Seeker.
Putting this under the server's profiler is pretty counter-intuitive. Nobody's gonna think to look there for the client profiler, it's also not visible unless the server's profile option is enabled as far as I can tell, and you need to use .profile.
Yeah, I need to change up how the profiler can be brought up via the menus. I just haven't gotten to that yet. I'm wide open to suggestions as to how that should look.

This first release of the client profiler is very bare-bones, really. I just wanted to get something out there.
Just toss it under the Client menu for now, for starters, so people can at least find the thing and start providing feedback. Even putting it on the top-level menu for O&M and the right-click menu would be good.