ID:2385593

I was just thinking about something, everyone almost always has their phones on and connected to the internet all day. Most phones have a lot more RAM now a days compared to older versions and can handle many more tasks. So I wanted to know, would it be possible to host a BYOND game using a mobile version of dream daemon? I think it would be cool to have an app where we could just host games on our phone. Thoughts on the idea? I don't know if it is possible but just curious.
i'm sure it's possible but it wouldn't be feasible. You'd still need a WiFi internet connection to be stable enough to keep a server up for any extended amount of time.

Nevermind there's much higher priorities atm. Why not just get a shell server and use the mobile CP?
Although this is probably possible with some sort of rooted access and a custom firmware, this isn't one of the best ideals. Phones--generally speaking--do not have sufficient cooling to sustain efficiency for that long, unless you plan on just hosting a few rounds of Freeze Tag or something. I know like 8+ years ago I was trying this with a PSP.

Now, if you had a spare phone and just wanted to host a very small controlled server and can afford to keep the phone actively cooled, sure. I know there were a few OSes that can be installed on various phones like Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish.
But, to be honest, if you're about to focus efforts onto using a mobile phone to host a BYOND server, just jump on Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace/Your local thrift store and just buy a $25-50 PC that has an Ethernet port.

Edit:
If you really want to experiment and make a dedicated portable BYOND server, grab one of the alternative Raspberry Pi's. Like the Libre Computer Board AML-S905X-CC, or the Banana Pi BPI-M2 Ultra or similar alternatives.
It would require a system running an x86 processor (or a sufficient compatibility layer), ARM processors would not play nice with BYOND at all.
That reminds me, I wonder if my x86 Windows tablet will host a game.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
It would require a system running an x86 processor (or a sufficient compatibility layer), ARM processors would not play nice with BYOND at all.

I have to admit now that I own a Raspberry Pi, I kinda wonder if the ARM architecture would be possible to compile BYOND for or not, and what kinds of things to expect.

Server performance would likely not be stellar compared to a PC. As I understand it the ARM instruction set being simpler is both a blessing and a curse; some functions would be handled faster with its greater set of registers, but for other things it would be slower. And that's only going by equal clock speeds; your typical ARM processor has a clock speed about half or less that of a reasonable desktop.

On a phone this would be a disaster. For one thing I don't know if you can use native-compiled apps at all on an Android, and on iOS it's strictly out of the question due to Apple's rules. Either way, hosting a game would be a battery murderer and if the phone was in motion between towers you'd be dropping players left and right.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
i'm sure it's possible but it wouldn't be feasible. You'd still need a WiFi internet connection to be stable enough to keep a server up for any extended amount of time.

Nevermind there's much higher priorities atm. Why not just get a shell server and use the mobile CP?

I was just asking cuz people always have their phones on like 24/7, I was just curious
In response to Kumorii
Thanks for the comments and feedback. I wasn't planning on developing anything, just created the post out of mere curiosity since everything is so mobile now a days.