ID:2408199

Hi everyone,

It has been a long time since I've last looked at BYOND.
Took a little while to recover my account but I'm very interested to see how it has progressed.

Then: It was 2001, I was young and wanted to make games but had never dealt with a programming language before. Me and my brother discovered BYOND and started getting to work building as many things and learning as much as we could. It was a magical time and ultimately lead me to where I am now. I was even the purchaser of the LAST copy of the physical BYOND's Blue Book (I wonder if I could find it?)

Now: I'm a senior software engineer for a very successful software company in San Diego, CA. I haven't done much game programming since then. It has been mostly web based development but it is something I fell in love with.

Are Dan and Tom still around? Who's still around from the old days? Rollcall!

Thanks,
Cody
Dan has been gone forever. Tom left a few years ago and Lummox took over. Still a few folks around from back then, though not many... Go class of 2001! ;)
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Dan has been gone forever. Tom left a few years ago and Lummox took over. Still a few folks around from back then, though not many... Go class of 2001! ;)

Yeah, I tried opening up Dream Maker and immediately saw a bunch of improvements I would like to make: highlighting, package manager support (similar to NPM or Nuget). Not to mention the site hasn't really changed in quite some time.
Remember Duelmaster409? That's me.

Hi, been a while. If you have Discord, hop on the BYOND discord sometime. We've probably got a bunch of familiar faces over there, including The Lumm himself (who is now the sole operator of byond as mentioned by Flick)

EDIT: a link ( https://discord.gg/DxgxeXj )
Well for one

I'm still--

Byond's Gang$ta
Howdy howdy, I definitely remember you and your brother (Hanns, right?)
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Howdy howdy, I definitely remember you and your brother (Hanns, right?)

Yes, although I'm unsure if my brother still pays any attention to BYOND or not.
In response to Rod5
Rod5 wrote:
I'm still--

Byond's Gang$ta

Cringe.
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
Rod5 wrote:
I'm still--

Byond's Gang$ta

Cringe.

I dunno if you got the memo, but the hivemind here likes BYOND's Gang$$$ta. He's intentionally, unintentionally, ironically, and unironically hilarious.

Get on board, citizen. Pick up that can.
You heard em, get on board >:D. Been here 11 years, not leaving anytime soon.

Byond's Gang$$$ta
In response to Rod5
Rod5 wrote:
You heard em, get on board >:D

Byond's Gang$$$ta

You've got more money all of a sudden?
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
Rod5 wrote:
You heard em, get on board >:D

Byond's Gang$$$ta

You've got more money all of a sudden?

According to ter13, I been stacking to the moon
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:

Lmao, I had no idea
In response to Rod5
Rod5 wrote:
According to ter13, I been stacking to the moon

Fun Fax. The height of a stack of 1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion) one dollar bills measures 67,866 miles. This would reach more than one fourth the way from the earth to the moon. Therefore, Rod5 is a trillionare and one of the most successful people on the planet.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:

Hi, been a while. If you have Discord, hop on the BYOND discord sometime. We've probably got a bunch of familiar faces over there, including The Lumm himself (who is now the sole operator of byond as mentioned by Flick)

EDIT: a link ( https://discord.gg/DxgxeXj )

I do remember you! I joined the Discord but haven't said hello in there yet. Still unsure of how I feel of the state of BYOND. It's like my childhood is conflicted.