ID:869748

Currently, the feature tracker is riddled with redundant requests, duplicates, and requests relating to things that are obsolete.

Someone told me that the 'Duplicate' listing has been removed, and you can no longer mark requests or reports as duplicates. This would seem to be counter productive, as there are 18 pages of open requests - a lot of which are pretty much the same.

I compiled a list of some requests I've noticed that either need to be marked RESOLVED, DUPLICATE, or REDUNDANT.

id:633529 - "More info" in Release notes doesn't acknowledge minor fixes
-> Needs to be moved to Feature Request, and marked RESOLVED. The feature was recently added, after my post was moved from either Bug Reports, or Feature Requests to BYOND Discussion.

id:99863 - CSS Request: Seperate Forum Adjustments (REDUNDANT)
-> We no longer have customizable CSS for forums, nor blogs.

id:98447 - Pages for comments on blogs [forums] (or proposed alternative) (RESOLVED)
-> Blogs no longer exist, and the page thing too was added during the site update.

id:107505 - The Blogs Page (Art and Audiophiles) [REDUNDANT]
-> Blogs are gone.

id:100021 - Blog Post Submissions [REDUNDANT]
-> Blogs are gone.

id:95833 - Blog Comments Character Limit [REDUNDANT]
-> Blogs no longer exist.

id:99688 - This post is hidden from the front page [REDUNDANT]
-> Blogs are gone.

id:99626 - Yea/Nay [REDUNDANT]
-> Blogs are gone, and this feature probably won't return for individual posts or topics in the forum, unless for feature requests.

id:107803 - Blog CSS [REDUNDANT]
-> Blogs are gone.

id:109690 -> Blog Categories [REDUNDANT]
-> Blogs are gone.

id:100464 - Finish removing CSS borders.(REDUNDANT?)
-> Seems redundant with the site update.

id:99980 - Offline IM's (REDUNDANT or RESOLVED)
-> This works through the web pager/home pager.

id:96780 - Lib / Demo Search Functions (RESOLVED)
-> We have tags.

id:97328 - Notification of moderation (RESOLVED)
-> Pages are sent when moderator actions occur, anywhere on the website, if I am correct.

id:97670 - New Games section [RESOLVED OR REDNDANT]
-> We pretty much have this by sorting by date in the Games page; or through the Game Updates forum.

id:387559 - Combining Forum Topics [RESOLVED]
-> We have this with the reattach function and whatever.

id:99720 - Attaching Forum Posts [RESOLVED or DUPLICATE of ABOVE)
-> see above request

id:109575 - Built in Bug and Feature Trackers for specific games [RESOLVED]
-> This came with the return of forums for hub feature.

id:95752 - icon_size for individual atoms [RESOLVED OR REDUNDANT OR DUPLICATE]
-> We have pixel movement and bounds.

id:102093 -> Forum quicklink for the DM reference [RESOLVED]
-> Quicklinks work. reference:mob/proc/Login, albeit, it goes to the new reference, which doesn't work.

id:105326 -> .configure delay [RESOLVED]
-> Redundant as of Lummox JR's post here.

id:107778 -> DM Tabs [DUPLICATE]
-> Duplicate of a recently resolved feature.

id:105543 -> tab order [DUPLICATE]
-> dupe of id:91961

These are just a few I found while skimming through the 18 pages of open requests. The entire point of the trackers was to track feature requests, and bug reports. If the posts aren't updated correctly, it loses it meaning as a tracker, and pretty much remains how the Feature Requests, and Bug Reports forum were ages ago. The majority of these requests dealt with stuff the website update fixed or removed - so, they're either all solved or redundant.
I have to agree, it would make a lot of sense to do something about this. Sub-Categories, or similar, might help too.

Redundant posts, for example, should be viewable but don't really need to be in the main list crowding everything. A sub-category, or a change in organization that somehow pushes them to the back would help. A section for deferred might also be nice.

Hard to say how to go about it, really, but I'm sure the idea is clear. The tracker just needs a little bit of a clean up, and some further organization applied.
In response to Toddab503
Toddab503 wrote:
I have to agree, it would make a lot of sense to do something about this. Sub-Categories, or similar, might help too.

Redundant posts, for example, should be viewable but don't really need to be in the main list crowding everything. A sub-category, or a change in organization that somehow pushes them to the back would help. A section for deferred might also be nice.

You can view posts based just on their status by clicking "Status". I picked redundant and got the following list.

Hard to say how to go about it, really, but I'm sure the idea is clear. The tracker just needs a little bit of a clean up, and some further organization applied.

It isn't difficult. Duplicates can be deleted and the other posts can simply be tagged. It would certainly take time to complete this task. But if Tom/Lummox wanted this done, I'm up for the task.
In response to Calus CoRPS
Huh... How did I not notice that feature... Oh well, thanks for that bit of info.

I imagine it would take a while and be very tedious, but nice to know that someone is up to the task. It would be great if you get to do it, since that would allow Tom/Lummox to focus their time elsewhere.
Thanks for the post. I'll update those. The feature tracker is mostly just for us though, to get an idea of things the community is interested in. We try to really stay on top of the bug tracker.
Well, I was typing a reply to your previous post...and then you made a new one, so:

Tom wrote:
Duplicates were deleted because we added the merge system so they just get merged instead.

The tracker is mostly for us, to just keep tabs on what kinds of things people are interested in. It seems to work OK; it could certainly use some improvements but it's just not a priority.

It just seems like that the section needs to be more closely moderated. The items from the opening post, I'm pretty sure are just a fraction of resolved yet unmarked, duplicates and redundant requests - if you want to keep keep tabs on what people are interested it, wouldn't it make sense to merge similar topics, leading to bigger discussions on topics, and not split apart?

And then you edited:

Tom wrote:
Thanks for the post. I'll update those. The feature tracker is mostly just for us though, to get an idea of things the community is interested in. We try to really stay on top of the bug tracker.

Alrighty, sounds good, but I still think someone should go through (Calus volunteered?) and check the Feature tracker for posts aside for the ones I pointed out, those were just ones that popped out to me as I skimmed through the pages.
Any of the mods here can actually reclassify posts so they don't just have to point them out; they can actually update them. That would be helpful (and once the system is in a better state we can maintain it better). I think especially old posts that no longer apply can just be deleted to avoid confusion on searches.

I also think we should probably hide redundant posts in the default view since they bump everything else down.