ID:744545

Keywords: engine, java, moving, to, unreal
I may move onto UnReal or Java soon. Just to let you know, if I move, Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 Byond will not be cancelled, however Quest For High Quality and Gumshoe Ace Detective will be cancelled.

I'm thinking of going into UnReal because I heard from numerous people that it's hard as crap but it pays off. Also I heard Java was a strong language to use and Runescape uses.

The reason why I'm cancelling two of the projects is because Gumshoe Ace Detective hasn't been worked on for ages and Byond doesn't have enough Devs and I don't have enough ideas for it to become something good.

The reason that I'm keeping Storm2Byond in the works is because of one reason and she's someone I love. She's the only girl in my school who hasn't judged me based on my looks, faith, opinions, etc. She's just really nice. She says please and thanks, she doesn't talk crap about anyone. (If she's mad at someone she says shes mad about what happened, but doesn't call them names.)

An even bigger reason I love her I haven't shared even with my mom and it helped me out a lot. (She probably doesn't even know that she did that or that I love her.) If I hadn't had such a horrible time during Middle School, I would have turned out exactly like her, and she wouldn't be able to help me out in that way, so I guess me being miserable in Middle School was for a good reason.

Anyways, back on topic, any advice you would give me if I were to move to UnReal/Java? Any tips or methods you use? Any errors that are commonly made?
I've have work with UnReal Engine and also CryEngine 3 SDK aswell as Hero Blade Engine, and verious others.

I seen 1 person making a whole game from start to finish on Unreal engine, being said this person was talented he was able to create 3D Model in Maya by himself, code by himself, texture everything by himself. And he didn't stop intill the game was finish.

If you have the attuide and strive to learn the code( if you didn't already learn it) Then Unreal Engine would work fine.

As for Java i wish i can give you a input on this but i never work with it before.

And for the "Girl" your talking about she sound great. but take or leave this advice from me. I Dated since middle school then i found the love of my life "or so i thought" in high school. she was everything, My smile...My princess..shes the reason that i woke up and come to school even if i was sick till i feint. she gave me strenght,But at the same time it can give the reverse effect. After We broke up i was torn apart and develope a horrible side effect from the relationship that gave me horrible trauma, pain and endless suffering even though my wound heal i was left with a scar that remind me about her everyday.

Anyway :D Happy Hunting!
In response to XIIIGaming
XIIIGaming wrote:
I've have work with UnReal Engine and also CryEngine 3 SDK aswell as Hero Blade Engine, and verious others.

I seen 1 person making a whole game from start to finish on Unreal engine, being said this person was talented he was able to create 3D Model in Maya by himself, code by himself, texture everything by himself. And he didn't stop intill the game was finish.

If you have the attuide and strive to learn the code( if you didn't already learn it) Then Unreal Engine would work fine.

As for Java i wish i can give you a input on this but i never work with it before.

And for the "Girl" your talking about she sound great. but take or leave this advice from me. I Dated since middle school then i found the love of my life "or so i thought" in high school. she was everything, My smile...My princess..shes the reason that i woke up and come to school even if i was sick till i feint. she gave me strenght,But at the same time it can give the reverse effect. After We broke up i was torn apart and develope a horrible side effect from the relationship that gave me horrible trauma, pain and endless suffering even though my wound heal i was left with a scar that remind me about her everyday.

Anyway :D Happy Hunting!

Thanks! I was more enthusiastic on UnReal because I am working on a project called Abyss Tech with a few people online! (Which is the project that ended up making me cancel Gumshoe Ace Detective and QFHQ, but I will continue S2B until it's finished and maybe even further!)
if you really want to get away from BYOND, i'd suggest HTML5/CSS3 (for the animation/graphics) and Javascript. :D
Good luck. You may want to try something something easier, such as HTML5/JavaScript, or even Flash. Flash has some good game development engines, but most of them don't have support for networking, so you will have to setup something externally. As for HTML5, making a multi-player game isn't difficult at all; from my experience, it's quite easy and fun.

EDIT: There are a lot of networking engines written in ActionScript 2/ActionScript 3, my mistake.
Yut Put wrote:
3 words: You're not ready. Maybe java. But not unreal, not even close

Just because I'm a beginner now doesn't mean I can't take time to learn and get better. Practice makes perfect, and I'm willing to spend years on it to get good. 'Nuff said.
Unreal Engine*; proper capitalization is important.

You could use Unreal if you wish, Unity is also an option. However if you choose Java you'll have much harder time.
Unreal and Unity give you tools, just drag and drop and game is ready. With Java you first have to create drag and drop. In the end I wouldn't even suggest Java, just look how slow/laggy Runescape/Minecraft/Spiral Knights are, it speaks for itself not to use Java for "heavy" applications.
In response to Zaoshi
Zaoshi wrote:
Unreal Engine*; proper capitalization is important.

You could use Unreal if you wish, Unity is also an option. However if you choose Java you'll have much harder time.
Unreal and Unity give you tools, just drag and drop and game is ready. With Java you first have to create drag and drop. In the end I wouldn't even suggest Java, just look how slow/laggy Runescape/Minecraft/Spiral Knights are, it speaks for itself not to use Java for "heavy" applications.

I'm not really into Unity3D and with UnReal I'm trying to access where I can program with it, but I can't seem to find it on UnReal Frontend.
In response to Iobject
Yet you're wanting to switch from byond to java or unreal? Sounds like you don't want to spend years learning.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Yet you're wanting to switch from byond to java or unreal? Sounds like you don't want to spend years learning.

I spent 5 years learning Byond, I think it's time to move on. Don't get me wrong, I'm still working on Storm2Byond, but I just need to learn something better.
I've been hanging around BYOND for almost 6 years, and, although I'm now a CS major at a major university, I still can't see myself leaving.

That's just me, though.