ID:890691

Is there a time when Pillow Shading is an appropriate technique? If yes, could you give an example please.
No.
I honestly don't see what people have against pillow shading. It's a very useful technique, especially when you use it on characters. In fact, the best time to use it would probably be on a base icon. It makes the icon look more realistic and attractive. When you have an actual light source, things look really ugly, which is why I strongly recommend that you start using pillow shading more often.
No. You do not use pillow shading, it is a derogatory term for not understanding how to draw things with an appropriate light source and newbie icon developers tendency to make everything symmetrical to the point of looking stupid.

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html
In response to BeignetLover
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is how I felt after reading this.
In response to Jordan11
Jordan11 wrote:

This is how I felt after reading this.

In response to Jordan11
How I felt after reading that
In response to BeignetLover
Oh I understand sarcasm. But I'm pretty sure you were really serious.
In response to Jordan11
Jordan11 wrote:
Oh I understand sarcasm.

Obviously not.

It's a very useful technique, especially when you use it on characters. In fact, the best time to use it would probably be on a base icon

A realistic conversation wouldn't have such a structure, if I was being serious, I might have said this:

It's a good technique, especially with human characters. A base icon would be the best time to do this, though.

See? A different structure.
Lol you are obviously serious, BeignetLover.

Also, you can't sense sarcasm through text especially if you're giving it to someone who doesn't entirely know you.

When you are being sarcastic to someone who doesn't know you(especially in forums) through text in a topic that isn't very common. You will look stupid.

clearly, this topic of pillow shading is mostly common sense but when you first say 'I honestly don't see what people have against pillow shading. It's a very useful technique, especially when you use it on characters.' The first thing people would think is that you are serious.

That is, in my opinion
@Yut Put
I'm a fast learner. At first, I thought pillow shading was a common, and useful technique, but this forum taught me otherwise.

@Frozenflake
If "pillow shading is bad" is common sense, that should have made my sarcasm even more obvious. As said in my other post, you can see the text structure and find out tat it's sarcasm.

When you have an actual light source, things look really ugly, which is why I strongly recommend that you start using pillow shading more often.

This is something that people wouldn't say while being serious. Realistic lighting/shading has a very popular and common opinion. Most people think that it looks great.

The way I wrote it implied that everyone HATED realistic shading.

Its okay, honestly people on BYOND very commonly use pillow shading because 32x32 pixel graphics are limited and it is difficult to implement a proper light source. But don't try to make me look stupid by pretending you were being sarcastic when nothing in what you said indicated that at all. If you were trying to mislead the OP then you are being the opposite of helpful and if you were trying to be funny I would say you equally failed at that. Own up, you thought pillow shading had its place, hell even defend your position which isn't entirely unheard of given its popularity on BYOND.
I did think pillow shading had its place. I didn't know any better. I made a sarcastic statement, hopefully thinking that people would pick up on it. I'm not trying to make you look stupid. I love you, and I love the OP.
Lol alright. It is okay to ask the question and hopefully the people who explain why this technique is inferior to having a fixed light source will take the question as serious and be constructive. I know this does not happen often on BYOND but people should not have to feel defensive for taking an incorrect position. BYOND's community has a very nasty habit of being very judgemental of people, and it is not constructive for a game making community.
In response to DvK87
DvK87 wrote:
Its okay, honestly people on BYOND very commonly use pillow shading because 32x32 pixel graphics are limited and it is difficult to implement a proper light source.

Dafuq did I just read? Even if a project's icon size is 4x4, you could still implement a light source; 32x32 is a great dimension for well-detailed tiles with a proper light source; it's a matter of whether or not you're a good artist or just a kid that wants to make 'the best Naruto game evar' and think you can make awesome pixel art without knowing a thing about shading.
You can't shade without at least 38935 pixels. Everyone knows that.
I shade my 8x8 pixel art.
There is nothing wrong with pillowshading; all you need to know is that you can't use most of the time.

Instances where you can use pillowshading:

If you make something and it contains lights behind it, then the light emitating would be centered and thus pillow shaded. Or if you have a spherical object with just one light source straight in front of it without any other lightsources (including reflections).

Other than that it wouldl be more tasteful to not use pillowshading. I hope this answers your question.
And objects that emit their own light. A Kamehameha Beam for example. Torches, light bulbs, etc.

A person's body does not emit light so there's no reason it should be pillow shaded.
Page: 1 2