ID:930973

(See the best response by Bandock.)
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and the Firewalls and Anti Virus are off. I'm the system admin and the wireless router can connect with other games through LAN, but no one seems to be able to connect to me. Can anyone think of anything else?

Thanks.
[EDIT] Misread your first post disregard this...
Best response
Try to tell others your local IP address along with port that use the same router or same area. Port forwarding is usually not required for any LAN hosting. It is, however, required to host on the hub (or online).

Example: 192.168.4.2 (Just an example. Look for your local IP through ipconfig or whatever you use.)

I know this because several years ago, I tried to host through the LAN and finally figured out how like a year or two later after I joined BYOND.
One thing I'd like to add is that you can't forget to set up port forwarding on your modem as well, if you have the second piece of hardware. I had BYOND hosting working years ago just setting up port forwarding on my router because the modem was apparently set on automatic bridge mode, but my newer replacement modem was a walled garden and required me to connect to my ISP using it and not just bridging through. I was unable to host with port forwarding still set up on my router until it dawned on me that I had to set it up on my DSL modem, too.

http://mobiusevalon.tibbius.com/images/ta/modem_devices.png

This is my DSL modem's "attached devices" page. and the WNR2000 is my router. Using the address there (10.0.0.2), I had to set up port forwarding from my modem to my router:
http://mobiusevalon.tibbius.com/images/ta/ modem_port_forward.png

Then using the "attached devices" page on my router, found the address I wanted to port forward to there:
http://mobiusevalon.tibbius.com/images/ta/router_devices.png

http://mobiusevalon.tibbius.com/images/ta/ router_port_forward.png
And set it up accordingly. Given, these images are when I was showing others how to open their XBox NATs when connection sharing, but you can still see the BYOND rule I have on port 9001 that works similarly.
most people can't connect to any byond games why is that so?
does some1 know?
In response to Jr_Timones
Jr_Timones wrote:
most people can't connect to any byond games why is that so?

If you mean *right now*, more than likely the BYOND Hub is down. My pager isn't logging in.

If you mean in general, it's all networking. Incorrect or nonexistent port forwarding, paranoid firewalls, spyware, who knows. Any one answer given to you will be a wild guess and probably wrong.
now i can't even pass the online screen it doesn't load :S
In response to Bandock
Bandock wrote:
Try to tell others your local IP address along with port that use the same router or same area. Port forwarding is usually not required for any LAN hosting. It is, however, required to host on the hub (or online).

Example: 192.168.4.2 (Just an example. Look for your local IP through ipconfig or whatever you use.)

I know this because several years ago, I tried to host through the LAN and finally figured out how like a year or two later after I joined BYOND.

Sorry about how long it took to respond. What do you mean tell others your IP address? Do you mean I should click Host, then in the port box type in my IP or what? I'm a total newbie when it comes to this hosting/router stuff.

I'm using a Laptop trying to host my Byond game so my bud's laptop to connect through a Wireless router, PC games(Such as Halo, etc) work fine, but we always get failed connection.

Thanks for your help.
Usually, even devices connected through wireless have a local IP address to use. For a Windows XP or later OS (Since Windows 98 or earlier used a different program for displaying your local IP.), here are the following steps:

1. Open Command Prompt.

2. Run 'ipconfig'.

3. Look for your local (using LAN) IP Address (Vista or later I believe is your IPv4 of it). Normally, that is the on you give to others who use the same LAN for them to join on your server (even from a laptop).

After doing those basic steps, you're all set for local area network play. No router setup required unless you want others from online to join, which will then need port-forwarding. And you're welcome Truseeker.
In response to Bandock
To expand on this, you give your friend your local IP, and then he or she opens the BYOND client, goes to File->Open Location, and enters the IP and port of your game (eg 192.168.1.7:3333 if your local IP is 192.168.1.7 and you're hosting on port 3333).
Thanks for the expansion DarkCampainger, that's what I was looking for.
I was able to connect through LAN flawlessly, thanks a lot for the help Bandock and DarkCampaigner. :)
You're very welcome Truseeker. ;)