ID:1270351

Please see video: http://youtu.be/b7ubZ2C0Vn8

I am asking, what functionality will BYOND enable to developers to make server-to-server player transfers smoother / more game-related and themed? I would be concerned if we were not given the ability to intervene with at least a splash screen during this process.

Thanks.
very good question; I'm curious about this as well.
I don't like how it freezes then loads the splash screen, the freeze takes a while, I am assuming you are hosting both instances on localhost? it shouldn't take that long... IMO

+1 on this, sounds more like a feature than anything else.
A built in feature to make this smooth would be awesome.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
I don't like how it freezes then loads the splash screen, the freeze takes a while, I am assuming you are hosting both instances on localhost? it shouldn't take that long... IMO

+1 on this, sounds more like a feature than anything else.

This test is being conducted on a live ubuntu server (in other words, as slow as it can get for realistic results).

If you test it on local, there is no splash in between and the transition is almost instant.

There is something to do with a timeout here or it just treats external ip addresses differently; but I think we should get access to its behavior here.
Perhaps it pings the server first checking it's live, you wouldn't want to push a player off to a server that's not accessible.

Try closing the second server down and enter through the block what happens then? does the window close? do you get a message?

If you do get a message it should be changeable by a developer too? right?
When the address is not there, you are simply disconnected and a "connection failed" prompt is given in the Options and Messages window from Dream Seeker. Looks like you have to check to see if it's live your self if you want to interact with both live and dead cases.

There's no description in the reference for link() about a return value that you can check first. Perhaps it does return a value you can check but I'm not sure.

I'm not really asking for anything complicated, I would be glad to handle this myself and write my own "loading" screen that checks if the server is live in the background, etc. etc. But I literally have no control over how long it will wait before it will completely close the client (if we can make it wait longer, there will be no splash screen in between at all).
Tom pls....
IN the next release, the splash won't come up in these cases.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
IN the next release, the splash won't come up in these cases.

Humanity just took a big step.
Tested this on the MOST RECENT build, and you have fixed it, Tom. It is working flawlessly as expected.
I DON'T WANNA BE THAT GUY BUT.
How about those splash screens?
I didn't save the convo. But there was a short list of criteria for your game to meet in order to stop splash screens during link() transfers

From memory, they are:

1. the game you're in and the game you're going to must have the exact same skin
2. the game you're in and the game you're going to must have the exact same hub

There is a third one but I can't remember what it is... Hopefully you can get lummoxjr to chime in what it is
Hang on, lemme dig up that conversation.

EDIT: I seem to be lacking the third requirement too.

Someone else told me this, but I can't find it either.

This feature needs documentation, desperately.
Perhaps the same world.name? I don't know.