ID:180982

well i was think is byond going to shut byond to help fight SOPA. I know i mean who could live without byond for a day but still. If SOPA gets passed byond could get sue to death from "copy right infringement" for having even one link that leads to a website that has Pirated material on that page. which is youtube,google, facebook, and etc.

link to a better explained viedo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM
Grammar correct problem hard not much so.
This is a video that I have to spread...this topic may be deleted, but that's fine. I just want this to be seen.

As such, please spread it as much as possible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

Also, request any site you know to petition here http://sopastrike.com/

DO NOT LET THE INTERNET FALL, IT IS THE LAST FREE PLACE ON EARTH.
BYOND doesn't have a big enough community to have much of an impact, and thus, we'd be cutting off the main users of the project for minimal support.
I'd say around 5% of BYOND's audience votes so having BYOND shut down in opposition to SOPA would probably be a waste of time.
In response to SuperAntx
5% is pretty generous.

In response to Xaddgx
I don't believe anything will pass that will shutdown copyright sites because if you think of it

over half the web has copyright martial such as WIKI

and facebook two big websites. wiki ( place were school students get research ) so it hurts education

facebook ( a top leading website )

and many many others even youtube and mores.

so think about it.
In response to OrangeWeapons
OrangeWeapons wrote:
BYOND doesn't have a big enough community to have much of an impact, and thus, we'd be cutting off the main users of the project for minimal support.

by saying that your trying to run up a slippery slope argument. by apply your idea you are saying that you could slowly apply that to more and more websites that would make up a large %. though we many not have a big effect the truth still remains that we still have an effect no matter how big or small. if everyone started to say my vote won't matter it makes their votes actually matter. and btw in the bill the USA give the right extradite people in other countries like they did to that one kid in England for infringement.
In response to Zelda123
Zelda123 wrote:
btw in the bill the USA give the right extradite people in other countries like they did to that one kid in England for infringement.

That can only be allowed if the other country has an agreement with USA (or any other country) for the extradition... and allows for it. They cannot just come in to your house, arrest you and ship you over just like that *snaps finger*

Besides, if you are going to do something illegal, you may suffer the consequence.
In response to Zelda123
How about this for a reason then: It'd be a complete waste of time.

(Spoiler) The House Judiciary Committee was expected to vote on the SOPA bill later this month, but recently announced it will delay those plans "until a consensus can be reached".

Your concerns about SOPA aren't a concern for the moment. Protesting after this would just be depriving developers of useful resources.
I don't see how shutting BYOND down will help fight SOPA, because SOPA's goal would be to shut BYOND down.

Also they don't even have to sue with SOPA, the federal government just "seizes the domain" and boom, BYOND is gone forever.

During my travels across the internet I've already come across domains seized by the federal government.
Hi, I am going through all of my sites that I know of all (130 of them) and telling people that don't know or haven't heard yet to be against SOPA("Stop Online Piracy Act").
We only have until January 24th to make an approach before the votes are totaled up and the decision has been made. Many sites are going against this and we are very thankful to those that are doing so. Here is a link to those sites that are fighting against SOPA. This isn't just small names either. Sites like, Google, Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter are going against it.
http://nlb-creations.com/2012/01/13/ websites-confirmed-for-the-jan-18-blackout-protesting-sopa/

What is SOPA & What's The Big Deal? If you don't know anything about what SOPA is, please follow this link below and watch the video and if you feel like we feel, then put your number and zip in the information below and press, "Call My Representative".
If this bill gets passed, you could just say goodbye to your freedom. This isn't all that is happening either people! There are more bills coming so that the government can control everything we do and what we say! So please, put a stop to this bill and the next one by playing your part and calling and voting no that you do not want this bill passed.
http://www.wpforbusinesswebsites.com/
Thank you for your time.

To the Website I posted it on:
Please support this and blackout your website as well for today(18th) is the day all websites are going offline. I got this message at 4am this morning and ever since I been going to site to site posting this same message. Thank you if you will support the aid that we need.
In response to Ryukuia
Seriously, I hope this doesn't pass. BYOND will be forced to shut down, irregardless of whether or not it removes "unwanted content" by then.

I used to say down with terrorism, down with Anonymous...

Well, they're less terrorists than Congress/Senate/whoever the hell suggested SOPA/PIPA. Besides, they go against it quite vehemently... a nice thing.

Down with terrorism, down with SOPA/PIPA!
In response to Moonlight Memento
It's fun to watch you. Almost like a performance art piece of over-the-top, talking points rhetoric.
In response to Popisfizzy
Oh really? Explain yourself.
Replied to the wrong post...?
I think I may have to re-read your posts at a later time if they aren't deleted... I still don't understand you one bit.