ID:180987

Hello is anyone interested in studying coding together? Like mutually help each other learn this? Might be really good thing for learning coding...
I'm trying to learn DM if that's what you mean.
I was actually planning on joining a coding team that accepts interns, but this seems to be better.

Anyways, I'll be happy to do so but I would feel more comfortable in a bigger (maybe 3-5 people) group.
In response to AquaDraco
sure whats your contact info
Hey, I wouldn't mind joining this. I'm constantly trying to get better at the language but in a group it might help to improve my skills. :D What's all your contact information? Just page me if you want to talk.
In response to TheDarkChakra

Invite me everyone! :D
I'm also interested. I'm not really new to coding, I've been doing it off and on for a year or two, however there's always more to learn.

In response to Diliviero
My skype is ssunlimited1 lets make this group!
yo can i join i have been programming for a while but i still have more to join my skype is appple 360 if youll have me
I'm interested in this little shindig. I need to brush up my skills a bit to handle anything for Jail Em!. I suppose I can get a Skype account.
In response to Branks
Just a tad off topic here, but if we teamed up and created a central location for all this happen ie a BYOND chat kind of game with resources etc would you be interested?

Of course BYONDPanel would cost 24/7, bonus .. make it open sauce.
In response to A.T.H.K
sounds great maybe that should be our first project!!
I am already on it :)

Currently not on Skype or MSN... but ill host it if you want?
In response to A.T.H.K
mind getting skype? i was just talking about it. i would like to talk to you about it.
I would but currently I am at work so the chat would be the best way sorry.

Server is up @ byond://byondpanel.com:8898

[EDIT] sorry server is up now forgot to hit host :)
In response to A.T.H.K
The chat there doesn't work. I am planning in making this game with my fellow study group people to make it like the iconing game on byond but coding game
Sorry I kind of rushed it did a spam check wrong !

Its all good now, this took me 2 minutes if that to create..
In response to A.T.H.K
I would like to join in this as well, if possible. I know the basics, but I’m still very new to Dream Maker. I wouldn’t really like to use Skype though. I have lots of technical problems with it.

I would totally support the creation of some kind of live developer help center. It should be open source, that way anyone can help collaborate on the code, and it can evolve into the best possible program for the job.

I would suggest that the program have 2 separate chat panels: One for just chatting and one for posting code. Eventually, we could even make the code panel so that it uses the proper DM code formatting as well.

Long term goals might be user created chat groups for multiple collaborative projects, .dm code file sharing, and other forms of advanced integration with the Dream Maker programming files.
With enough work, this could evolve into a live help forum and complete development suite for groups of developers. You could think of it as a virtual laboratory for DM coding. With such a powerful tool for online learning and creation, there’s no telling what people might be able to make with BYOND.

This is not something we should have to rush though. As long as there is chat, that’s good enough to get started learning Dream Maker, and if it’s open source, then it likely won’t be long before the experienced developers hear about the project and post better code to add to the program.
In response to Multiverse7
Agreed Multiverse7, the chat is up on the address above, we also already have a syntax highlighter for DM, there are a few libs on this, I had to modify it to work with outputs for skins.

This will be open source.

byond://byondpanel.com:8898
I love this thread and I love you guys. Good luck with the study group!
In response to Toadfish
That’s a great start ATHK!
Having all those separate windows is a bit messy though, especially when you have Dream Maker open as well. It’s not too hard to convert windows into embedded panes using the skin settings. Here is a great tutorial by Lummox JR on how to do just that. Click the little cameras for screenshots too! It’s hard to suggest changes though without seeing the code. Maybe you can submit the program to the BYOND site at some point.

For now, we can add this “game” to our favorites, so that we can see if anyone is online. Just click the Add button under your favorite games and type athk.developerhangout exactly as it appears. Now you can see how many players are in the “game”, just like all the other games in the pager.

Also, I have added some of you in the BYOND pager, so add me back! That way, we can send messages if necessary, and know who is online.
Page: 1 2