ID:181041

Hello BYOND, I was just wondering if we could talk about software. What programs do you REALLY like. And by REALLY, I mean that if you got a new computer tomorrow, what programs would you start downloading?

Here's the list of special programs to me:
Windows Live Messenger and Movie Maker
CCleaner
Defraggler
Speccy
BitTorrent
TeamViewer
AVG
Dropbox
And OfficeOrg if I don't have MS Office.

I also like to set up a dual boot for Linux. Just because dual boots are cool and it freaks my friends out when I bring up a new OS they really don't know about.
Programs I put on every computer are:

Malwarebytes (Anti-virus)
Trillian (All in one chat client)
WinAlarm (Reminders)
Audacity (Audio recording/editing)
Camtasia/Fraps (Video recording)
Sony Vegas (Video editing)
GIMP (Image editing)
OpenOffice (Free MS Office)
PeerBlock (Anti-Anti-P2P)
ImgBurn (Image Burning program)
Opera (My browser of choice)
Vuze (Torrenting)
In response to Robertbanks2
I also use MWB, it's pretty good. Caught some stuff AVG didn't.

I looked at Trillian because I've never heard of it before. Seems like a lot of people don't like the update to it. I couldn't even search WinAlarm on Cnet, it changed it to ZoneAlarm.

I looked into PeerBlock. What exactly does that do? I mean I read the description, but they dumbed it down for the non-tech people. I want the tech description.

EDIT: Scratch that about PeerBlock. Realized it was firewall. I thought it was something to aid in torrenting. lol
In response to Ganing
Ganing wrote:
I looked at Trillian because I've never heard of it before. Seems like a lot of people don't like the update to it.

Trillian 5 is kind of obnoxious if you don't do a good bit of tinkering, but I love it. It isn't really useful unless you would otherwise use several IM programs.

I couldn't even search WinAlarm on Cnet, it changed it to ZoneAlarm.

It's on google.

I looked into PeerBlock. What exactly does that do? I mean I read the description, but they dumbed it down for the non-tech people. I want the tech description.

EDIT: Scratch that about PeerBlock. Realized it was firewall. I thought it was something to aid in torrenting. lol

It is more or less a firewall specifically designed to keep anti-piracy people from connecting to you. Only really useful if you torrent stuff.
In response to Robertbanks2
If you don't mind me asking, what settings do you use on PeerBlock? Just downloaded and I only put it on P2P.
In response to Ganing
I just turn off http filtering so it doesn't screw with websites. Other than that I leave all of the lists on.
foobar2000
CCCP / Media Player Classic Homecinema
gimp
Steam
BYOND
Notepad++
Firefox w/ NoScript, AdBlock Plus, FireBug, Cookie Whitelist
7-Zip
CCleaner
utorrent
MS Visual Studio

I used to use a cool little program called "Space Monger", which I think Lummox JR or someone else here recommended, but it wasn't Win7 compatible or something... real handy for finding where all your disk space is being used up.
First programs I get are:
Google Chrome
nVidia Drivers
WinRAR
Notepad++
Dropbox
uTorrent
Windows Live Messenger
Windows Live Mail
Visual Studio
DirectX SDK

Probably in that order too.
In response to DarkCampainger
WinDirStat can take the place of that program.
HyperDesktop
Google Chrome
Windows Live Messenger

That's pretty much all I need to survive. Of course things like BYOND and uTorrent are always definitely appreciated.
In response to DivineTraveller
DivineTraveller wrote:
WinDirStat can take the place of that program.

Wow, that's awesome. Love the little pac-men. Thanks for pointing me to it!