ID:181053

What programming languages should I take to assist my advancement in Java in college? I've finally made the decision between C++ vs. Java, and decided Java. I will taking Java Programming I, II, and III, but I still have to take 2 more programming classes for my degree. Which from this selection should I choose? (Note, obviously I can't take an intermediate level course if I don't take the basic courses)

Beginning Level Programming Language Courses
CIS 143 COBOL Programming CIS 148 Visual Basic I
CIS 155 C/C++ Programming I
IT 147 SQL Programming (cannot fulfill technical core requirement)
NIS 150 Perl Programming I
NIS 152 Introduction to JavaScript
CS 115 Introduction to Computer Programming
IT 141 Introduction to PHP

Intermediate Level Programming Language Courses
CIS 232 Programming for Windows Environment
CIS 252 C/C++ Programming II
CIS 262 C/C++ Programming III
CIS 248 Visual Basic II: Desktop Applications
CIS 250 Java Game Development I
CIS 255 C++ Game Development I
CIS 243 COBOL Applications CS 215 Introduction to Program Design, Abstraction, and Problem Solving
IT 241 Intermediate PHP
What's your degree, and what field are you hoping to go into?
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
What's your degree, and what field are you hoping to go into?

Currently just now starting at a community college, these are requirements for Associates. Hoping to go into... Java Programming? xD I mean, I'll probably make games for the fun of it, but I hope to be one of those freelance programmers that can choose what jobs they want to take and stuff.
Ganing wrote:
What programming languages should I take to assist my advancement in Java in college? I've finally made the decision between C++ vs. Java, and decided Java. I will taking Java Programming I, II, and III, but I still have to take 2 more programming classes for my degree. Which from this selection should I choose? (Note, obviously I can't take an intermediate level course if I don't take the basic courses)

CS 115 Introduction to Computer Programming
CIS 155 C/C++ Programming I

The first because it is a general intro to real programming. Even if you know most of it already, you're bound to pick up some interesting tidbits and if you only THINK you know most of it already,it will really benefit you.

The second because it's important for a professional programmer to at least have an understanding of a variety of languages, and learning more will help you separate your logical thinking from the syntax.
In response to Robertbanks2
Thanks for the feedback! I heard from Vermolius that once you really learn a programming language, learning others isn't so hard. You just have to figure out the different syntax.
In response to Ganing
While that is true, there are a lot of intricacies in every language that a simple once over of the syntax won't teach you.

Learning the basics of a variety of languages early on will still help you out. You won't be so ingrained in the common practices of the language you specialize in that you have trouble adjusting to the new practices and such.
Do COBOL, because it's funny.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:

Lol. My dad got degree in computer engineering and he did FORTRAN and COBOL, then he was drafted into the war! lol
In response to Ganing
Ganing wrote:

Lol. My dad got degree in computer engineering and he did FORTRAN and COBOL, then he was drafted into the war! lol

Wow he's pretty lucky to not have to work with COBOL again!
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Ganing wrote:

Wow he's pretty lucky to not have to work with COBOL again!

Well actually they took notice that he could program so they had him be part of the IT staff and he programmed stuff for them.
Your JC does things a lot different from mine. :P We are specific to what the universities want, so I have to learn C/C++/Java/Assembly just to transfer.