ID:151308

I've been working on a Naruto fangame for some good time now, and I've just been wondering, what would you like to see in a good Naruto game? Which type of training, concepts, skills, etc. would interest you to keep playing? Here's a wall post about my game if you'd like more information click here.

Let me know what you look forward to in a good Naruto game :)
I'm having trouble wrapping my logical mindset around the Oxymoron of "Good Naruto Game", But I'll give it a try.

1)No more stupid training dummy's.
2)No more open world PvP BS.
3)A Level Limit, anything over 100 is just stupid.
4)A Skill set that isn't completely retarded.
5)A Decent team behind the game.
6)Less 8-year-olds.
7)More cowbell.

That's all I've got really...
In response to Danbriggs
Danbriggs wrote:
I'm having trouble wrapping my logical mindset around the Oxymoron of "Good Naruto Game", But I'll give it a try.

1)No more stupid training dummy's.
2)No more open world PvP BS.
3)A Level Limit, anything over 100 is just stupid.
4)A Skill set that isn't completely retarded.
5)A Decent team behind the game.
6)Less 8-year-olds.
7)More cowbell.

That's all I've got really...

Why not open world PvP? Just curious.
In response to AbdelJN
When you have 4 level 100's ganking the still-leveling 30's, it gets frustrating. Even if you're 100 yourself, if you're doing some other task and sitting idle, people walk up and kill you without warning. You have to expect that people in your game will be complete assholes and kill without warning due to mass boredom.
In response to Danbriggs
Danbriggs wrote:
When you have 4 level 100's ganking the still-leveling 30's, it gets frustrating. Even if you're 100 yourself, if you're doing some other task and sitting idle, people walk up and kill you without warning. You have to expect that people in your game will be complete assholes and kill without warning due to mass boredom.

Yeah I know what you mean, in that case I plan on adding a penalty for killing players from your own village, ex: kill two-three and get booted from the village. As for levels, I don't plan on incorporating levels into this game.
In response to AbdelJN
I lol'd
Maybe a bit off topic, but if you are investing the effort it looks like you are putting in, why just have a derivative fangame? You could have a much more entertaining original game! You can still base it off fantasy ninjas and monks and other Eastern fantasy without copying the Naruto setting. Japanese mythology has plenty of fodder for monsters (oni, kappa, tengu, etc. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_legendary_creatures_from_Japan for a list of supernatural creatures). And Eastern mysticism provides a basis for all kinds of supernatural power from flight, to superhuman speed or strength, to even more bizarre powers such as the ability to control others.
In response to Jmurph
People are 100x more likely to play a Ninja game when it doesn't have Naruto plastered onto it.
In response to Danbriggs
Danbriggs wrote:
People are 100x more likely to play a Ninja game when it doesn't have Naruto plastered onto it.

False, more players come onto BYOND searching the keywords 'Naruto' instead of 'Ninja'. Plus, the majority of BYONDs players come from anime games, and of those anime games, Naruto remains most popular.

Jmurph wrote:
Maybe a bit off topic, but if you are investing the effort it looks like you are putting in, why just have a derivative fangame? You could have a much more entertaining original game! You can still base it off fantasy ninjas and monks and other Eastern fantasy without copying the Naruto setting. Japanese mythology has plenty of fodder for monsters (oni, kappa, tengu, etc. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_legendary_creatures_from_Japan for a list of supernatural creatures). And Eastern mysticism provides a basis for all kinds of supernatural power from flight, to superhuman speed or strength, to even more bizarre powers such as the ability to control others.

I understand where your going, I love originality but I'm also in love with the Naruto anime/manga. Plus, I've already done too much work to turn the project into something different.
In response to AbdelJN
"Naruto" has a special tag associated with it. This tag is, "This game sucks" or "this game is a rip." It'll be much better for you as a person to have a Ninja game over a Naruto game. Naruto games are becoming more and more of a joke to BYOND. They used to be wildly popular, now, not so much.

tl;dr - Make a Ninja game. It can be featured, you can make money off it, better "first glance opinion."
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
"Naruto" has a special tag associated with it. This tag is, "This game sucks" or "this game is a rip." It'll be much better for you as a person to have a Ninja game over a Naruto game. Naruto games are becoming more and more of a joke to BYOND. They used to be wildly popular, now, not so much.

tl;dr - Make a Ninja game. It can be featured, you can make money off it, better "first glance opinion."

Not necessarily, and their usually still an average of 400-500 players/hr on Naruto games. I gotta admit the majority of Naruto games on BYOND aren't very great, and have no polish, but theirs a few out there that are actually pretty damn good. Naruto GOA still sporting hundreds of players a day, Final Fight even more, and even the Brazilian Naruto game having the majority.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I lol'd
In response to AbdelJN
I'm not sure you're even listening. You need to look at the opinions of experienced gamers and developers rather than those of mindless 8-year-olds. Everyone and their grandmother's has made a Naruto Game. The BYOND community in general is quite sick of them, and as Lugia said, they're seen more as a joke or troll haven than actual games. Most, if not all, lack key Gameplay mechanics to actually make them "Fun". Sure, senselessly killing other players can be fun at first, but it loses its face value very, very, quickly. Secondly, Naruto games might collect about 150 players total all day long collectively on ALL servers and games, not this magical 400-500 per hour you seem to be coming up with. These people are either the ones who helped develop the game, the friends of the developers, friends of those friends, or random kids who have Naruto shoved so far down their throat they're coughing up kunai knives.

Listen to us, please. An original Ninja Game would be 100x better than any Naruto Game. I don't care how good it is, as long as it has Naruto plastered on it on the BYOND hub, it's going to either sink like a stone, become a troll haven, or a general place to be ridiculed and mocked like every other Naruto Game. There's a reason people rip on GOA so much, both kinds. Ripping the awful source code, and generally making fun of it...
In response to Danbriggs
Danbriggs wrote:
I'm not sure you're even listening. You need to look at the opinions of experienced gamers and developers rather than those of mindless 8-year-olds. Everyone and their grandmother's has made a Naruto Game. The BYOND community in general is quite sick of them, and as Lugia said, they're seen more as a joke or troll haven than actual games. Most, if not all, lack key Gameplay mechanics to actually make them "Fun". Sure, senselessly killing other players can be fun at first, but it loses its face value very, very, quickly. Secondly, Naruto games might collect about 150 players total all day long collectively on ALL servers and games, not this magical 400-500 per hour you seem to be coming up with. These people are either the ones who helped develop the game, the friends of the developers, friends of those friends, or random kids who have Naruto shoved so far down their throat they're coughing up kunai knives.
When I say 400-500, I'm talking about the total amount of all Naruto games here on BYOND.

Listen to us, please. An original Ninja Game would be 100x better than any Naruto Game. I don't care how good it is, as long as it has Naruto plastered on it on the BYOND hub, it's going to either sink like a stone, become a troll haven, or a general place to be ridiculed and mocked like every other Naruto Game. There's a reason people rip on GOA so much, both kinds. Ripping the awful source code, and generally making fun of it...

It's not that I don't like the idea, because really it does sound interesting, but I'm really a big fan of Naruto and no one seems to nail down at least one accurate and up-to-date naruto game with balance. I'm trying to recreate this concept, and bring a new, well made naruto game to the platter.
In response to AbdelJN
The general consensus is that most fangames suck.
The general consensus also agrees that it's not fangames that truly suck, it's how they are made. Therefore, the community is not against fangames. They are against poorly made fangames

If it's that important to you to have a good, accurate, up-to-date Naruto game, no one here is going to (or would be able to) stop you. The reason we say what we do is because we either 1. Care for BYOND and/or 2. Don't want to see you fail/give up/cry to your mommy. It's not that we don't want you to create something, it's that we want you to create something good. (And I know I'll be called a hypocrite for that statement since both of my games suck)

In the end, the choice is up to you. Create a Naruto game if it's truly that important to you, but please consider making a ninja game instead. It doesn't even have to be that different from Naruto! You can have people who can make trees grow from nothing. Just do not have Naruto (Generic Adjectives/Verbs/Adverbs) posted at the top and at least code it yourself (do not rip).

EDIT: Also I did want to note the last thing that Danbriggs said.

If it has Naruto plastered at the top it will be a joke/troll haven/other fun stuff.

This statement is completely true. I used to host NBotLS and I could tell you that many, many, many immature kids came on looking to become the hokage. Granted, I was immature at the time myself, but here's what would go down.

- Player joins
- Player: Can I haz GM?
- Me: No
- Player: Can I haz Hokage?
- Player: Can I haz free stuff?
- Player: This servur sucks. You suck.
- Player logs out. Sometimes they'd spam my latest blog entry with comments about how much I suck.

Other times, you'd just get a bunch of trolls around all day. Because I didn't care for the game (I was hosting a rip) I actually found the trolls quite amusing. Eventually the game became trolls only. Which was A. Not fun; B. Not funny; C. Lame. I think you want your game to be exciting and awesome. You do not want it to be not fun and lame. (Double negative took me a while =P )

Having Naruto in the title is like a beacon, "Come here, all ye younguns and trolls." People with much experience in how Naruto games will probably read, "Come here, all ye who wish to log train and be spam killed by trolls." And experienced BYOND-goers will read it as, "This game is a total waste of time. Let this game die on the hub." Unless you can find a way for everyone to read, "Come play a great game!" you're going to have troubles.

One last edit: I would recommend reading this post on how you might want to handle GMs (If you plan on having them, which I am almost positive you will).
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
The general consensus is that most fangames suck.
The general consensus also agrees that it's not fangames that truly suck, it's how they are made. Therefore, the community is not against fangames. They are against poorly made fangames

If it's that important to you to have a good, accurate, up-to-date Naruto game, no one here is going to (or would be able to) stop you. The reason we say what we do is because we either 1. Care for BYOND and/or 2. Don't want to see you fail/give up/cry to your mommy. It's not that we don't want you to create something, it's that we want you to create something good. (And I know I'll be called a hypocrite for that statement since both of my games suck)

In the end, the choice is up to you. Create a Naruto game if it's truly that important to you, but please consider making a ninja game instead. It doesn't even have to be that different from Naruto! You can have people who can make trees grow from nothing. Just do not have Naruto (Generic Adjectives/Verbs/Adverbs) posted at the top and at least code it yourself (do not rip).

EDIT: Also I did want to note the last thing that Danbriggs said.

If it has Naruto plastered at the top it will be a joke/troll haven/other fun stuff.

This statement is completely true. I used to host NBotLS and I could tell you that many, many, many immature kids came on looking to become the hokage. Granted, I was immature at the time myself, but here's what would go down.

- Player joins
- Player: Can I haz GM?
- Player: Can I haz Hokage?
- Player: Can I haz free stuff?
- Player: This servur sucks. You suck.
- Player logs out. Sometimes they'd spam my latest blog entry with comments about how much I suck.

Other times, you'd just get a bunch of trolls around all day. Because I didn't care for the game (I was hosting a rip) I actually found the trolls quite amusing. Eventually the game became trolls only. Which was A. Not fun; B. Not funny; C. Lame. I think you want your game to be exciting and awesome. You do not want it to be not fun and lame. (Double negative took me a while =P )

Having Naruto in the title is like a beacon, "Come here, all ye younguns and trolls." People with much experience in how Naruto games will probably read, "Come here, all ye who wish to log train and be spam killed by trolls." And experienced BYOND-goers will read it as, "This game is a total waste of time. Let this game die on the hub." Unless you can find a way for everyone to read, "Come play a great game!" you're going to have troubles.

One last edit: I would recommend reading this post on how you might want to handle GMs (If you plan on having them, which I am almost positive you will).

Yeah I completely understand, and although there are a lot of immature players, there's a decent amount of mature players aswell. And I'm handling ways to stop spam killing, and balancing out the game. Trust me I'm all against spam killing, no balance, and admins/moderators having power. I know how my post here in design philosophy sounds. It sounds like I'm just another generic Naruto fanboy trying his take on a Naruto game. The thing is, there really isn't many good Naruto games at all, and I just wanna bring a good, new and original Naruto game to BYOND.
In response to AbdelJN
Best of luck then.
1. Don't Use the Name Naruto
2. Don't Use Sprites In your Game ( Kirin , Your Aura , ETC)