ID:132351

It sounds odd to me too, And even if it isn't supposed to be able to do it, it's so odd.
A friend of mine gave me a pair of host files to see what I thought of his game, and I immediately heard a song, and knew it had to be ogg, or mp3. I raised the question to him, How'd you include the mp3, through the browser? He said there was no mp3 in there, but a midi. I knew this was no midi song, so I challenged him, then realized what it is he had done, he renamed the extension from mp3 to mid. And by some oddity, it actually played the mp3 song in Byond.

Has this always been the case? Did BYOND add detection of the mp3, and have it access a hidden mp3 player? Or is this merely a isolated incident that probably won't work with all mp3's ?
Yes, BYOND uses FMOD, which has MP3 support. Since we do not have access to the sound file internals (unless they've changed their API), the way we "disable" MP3 is by checking for the extension. Technically, you aren't supposed to use MP3 in games because of license issues. I'll read up on that to see if anything has changed; if it has, we could pull this stupid hack.
In response to Tom
Even if this is possible, however, wouldn't it create substantial lag to unbearable extent? Resource files would be ridiculous sizes - I don't really see much point at that stage.

Browser-based mp3 embedding seems most logical in this case, so even if the licensing has changed, I don't see why you even should change that "disabled" status.
In response to Nal_rA
Mp3 compression is possible, to an extreme extent (14 MB file compressed into 1.3MB). Though it may make the audio sound slightly muffled, It still sounds much better than most midis do. I'm glad to know there is a workaround for it in Byond!
In response to Leur
Leur wrote:
Mp3 compression is possible, to an extreme extent (14 MB file compressed into 1.3MB). Though it may make the audio sound slightly muffled, It still sounds much better than most midis do. I'm glad to know there is a workaround for it in Byond!

I wonder if referencing to an outside source and downloading during the game would be a better solution - this would, ideally, reduce download time for users, but would require them to download every time they play - a double-edged sword.

How large should a project truly be on BYOND?
In response to CauTi0N
50 MB, crammed full of uncompressed OGGs and BMPs.
In response to CauTi0N
Using external sources can be risky unless you are direct linking to them from your own site, and then it would involve quicktime (or flash) bundled inside of the byond browser element and even then, it will not allow songs to be stopped, unless you provide means to do so in-game which involves more programming then it's worth. (Or show the browser)

Using uncompressed music in game is probably the worst thing you could ever do, but if you compress it to a bearable extent, and don't include many many songs, you can have extraordinary quality music which midi couldn't be compared with.
In response to Leur
Leur wrote:
Using external sources can be risky unless you are direct linking to them from your own site, and then it would involve quicktime (or flash) bundled inside of the byond browser element and even then, it will not allow songs to be stopped, unless you provide means to do so in-game which involves more programming then it's worth. (Or show the browser)

ReiaMaps Project uses an browser-based mp3 system. It is extremely simple, and is not at all risky. You can easily stop the song with very little effort. It works pretty well; you do not know what you are talking about here.
I've been thinking about this more and more, and Browser might be the best bet at this time, though I do not want to use Quicktime for it. ):
In response to Leur
Or, you know, convert it to an OGG so you can compress the file without noticeable loss of quality. Unless you were planning to upload the MP3 on a site where compression wouldn't matter.
In response to Leur
Leur wrote:

Now tell me when it uses Mp4's
In response to Leur
Leur wrote:
I've been thinking about this more and more, and Browser might be the best bet at this time, though I do not want to use Quicktime for it. ):

There are alternatives to this. It's a safe assumption 99% of BYOND's users have Flash installed on their computer, so you could design a quick engine for that, or something similar. There are actually numerous ways to get around browser-based embedding of music through QuickTime or Windows Media Player. This probably would be best suited in HTML5, but unfortunately, BYOND's default browser is IE - unless someone wants to create a port of other browsers!
In response to Nal_rA
IE9 is now out, but BYOND may need to be updated to work with IE9 (since I did try out at least the Beta version of IE9 on it and HTML5 elements found in IE9 do not work with BYOND's built-in IE browser).
In response to Bandock
However, with the current setup it is not really possible. I'm claiming with the current situation.
In response to Bandock
The BYOND browser is based entirely on the installed version of IE on a client's computer. I'm not sure if the embedded version has 100% the support of the actual browser though.
In response to Nadrew
Yeah, that's what I noticed when I tried to utilize HTML5 through BYOND (to see if IE9 enables HTML5 support for BYOND as well).
In response to Bandock
Bandock wrote:
Yeah, that's what I noticed when I tried to utilize HTML5 through BYOND (to see if IE9 enables HTML5 support for BYOND as well).

How did that experiment go?
In response to Nal_rA
Showed some lovely script errors.
In response to Bandock
Bandock wrote:
Showed some lovely script errors.

Well, this sucks - I was under the notion you could do anything Bandock.
In response to CauTi0N
Yeah, I've tested it over IE9 itself and works fine. Total opposite when trying to use the same HTML5 code over BYOND.
Page: 1 2