ID:155920

Is there any way to implement this option without enabling control_freak ?

Only the world's skin or the default BYOND skin will be loaded, not a user-customized version.

Thanks
Nope. There have been forum posts, suggestions, and feature tracker requests about this already.
In response to Kaiochao
Good to know, would really be something good to implement. Cheers.
What's wrong with using control_freak?
In response to Ripiz
I very much approve of all personal macros.
In response to Emasym
Emasym wrote:

This doesn't make much sense. You encourage players to customize their gameplay experience, but you want to limit them from customizing their gameplay experience?

Enforcing a specific skin standard is just as bad as enforcing a specific set of macros. You accomplish nothing but a limitation in the player's gameplay experience either way. Trying to break the functionality apart seems like a waste of time.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
Emasym wrote:

This doesn't make much sense. You encourage players to customize their gameplay experience, but you want to limit them from customizing their gameplay experience?

Enforcing a specific skin standard is just as bad as enforcing a specific set of macros. You accomplish nothing but a limitation in the player's gameplay experience either way. Trying to break the functionality apart seems like a waste of time.

Forcing a player to use a specific skin keeps consistency and doesn't allow one player to have an advantage over another due to placement of controls.

Every person has their own preference to how they like their macros. This is why every commercial game allows you to change the macros in some way, even if it's just changing the template configuration. Some people rather have WASD be for movement, while other players prefer WASD to be used for combat and use arrows for movement. It should be the player's choice.

However, each game should be treated as a case-by-case basis. If an owner thinks the player should only be able to use the default skin and macros because it might cause balancing issues, then that should be accepted. On the other hand, if an owner thinks the player should be able to control both of them, then the player should be able to. Currently as the developer we are able to program these two extremes but since it should be handled as case-by-case the developer should be able to access everything in between (only controlling the skin but allowing players to customize macros*).

* To the OP: In my own games (even before 4.0 era) I've always allowed the players to customize the macros in-game. And now in 4.0 era, although I agree with you, it does seems more consistent to allow them to edit in-game than to have to edit the skin to change macros.
In response to Kalzar
Kalzar wrote:
Forcing a player to use a specific skin keeps consistency and doesn't allow one player to have an advantage over another due to placement of controls.

I could say the exact same thing about macros, for both parts (consistency & advantage).

Every person has their own preference to how they like their macros. This is why every commercial game allows you to change the macros in some way, even if it's just changing the template configuration. Some people rather have WASD be for movement, while other players prefer WASD to be used for combat and use arrows for movement. It should be the player's choice.

I could say the exact same thing about the skin for all those points.

However, each game should be treated as a case-by-case basis. If an owner thinks...

And the developer can do whatever he or she wants. That doesn't change the fact that there is no difference, either in usability or in giving player an advantage, to having customized skins or customized macros. Both have exactly the same set of issues.

Personally, I think it's moronic to keep the players from doing either. But that's why all this crap is lumped together under the one control_freak setting. The fact that control-freakishness is catered to at all should make the control freaks happy. control_freak is not a real feature, it's a dis-service to players.