ID:151436

Kay so like.....Im bored and dont know where the hell to put this post.

Basicly im looking for opinions for the best way to create a mini map, not of the entire map but probally like 50x50 tiles from the user, all into a corner area of the user's screen. I've thought of a few ways using pixels and such however i'd like to hear a few public opinions on the best way to go about such a thing.

Ps. No code required, simply looking for ideas/opinions.
My opinion is to figure this out. Seems to me to be a library, and the demo looks pretty decent.
My library could do what you are looking for with some modifications to it. It's not that difficult. Zaltron's demo might also be a useful reference. In any case - I would grab the tiles from the area you are looking for and scale it accordingly, and then place the image either in a pane or on the players HUD.
In response to CauTi0N
Mhm ill check it out but i was more seeking ideas/opinions onways to do this so i could do it myself :P
In response to Iocamus
Grab the turf icons. Scale each accordingly. Place them onto a blank image. Scale the overall image. :)
In response to CauTi0N
Hmmm i've never heard of somethin like that =P, i'll look into that but any other suggestions? (just keeping options open)
In response to Iocamus
It's how my library works. Another system would be similar to the various radar demos around BYOND, with a bit of modifcation relying on turfs. However, again, I believe they all use the same method. Though, you could assign colors to each turf and map those in the minimap - that would work out as well, I suppose.
In response to Iocamus
How I set my demo up is by looking through all the icon_states of every icon and creating lists of the average color of each icon_state then I draw the map based on the average color of each icon_state. When I look for the average color I look at [x] number of pixels on the icon_state on the outer parts and inner parts of the icon_state instead of looking through all the pixels. That way it grabs the average color a lot faster. The more pixels you look at the better quality of the minimap. If any of what I said is unclear let me know.