In response to Hiro the Dragon King
In response to Falacy
But at that point it's not how good the game is that determines getting hub, outside of getting a gifted membership, possibly. If someone else gives you a hub, it won't even be listed as your game, again thereby defeating half the purpose of having a hub.

EDIT: And trust me, forum advertising is not a way to improve the community. It will start all kinds of flame wars and ridiculous threads.
In response to Ripiz
[Make sure you've reread my previous post (as I've edited it) before you reply.]

Ripiz wrote:
Maybe because they have own webpage or advertise the game?

Yes. But there's no point whatsoever in you answering my cynical question.

To use your way of speaking:
Maybe if you want people to know about your game, advertise it?
BYOND isn't obligated to help you do that for free, even if it's obligated to allow the use of its game creation software for free. Advertising is no longer creation.

Then why would I use free tools if I can afford domain host or advertising campaign?

In order to advertise, you don't have to create a website. As long as you don't apply the 'time is money' notion, you also don't have to spend any money on effective advertising. Posting to various communities, creating word of mouth, sending e-mail to website owners and more measures can all be done without spending any extra money, only effort. If someone doesn't want to spend that effort, it's his fault. But if one is able to spend effort on creating a game in the first place, one should also be capable of spending effort on advertising, naturally.
Also, in order to create a website, even a good one, you don't have to use a paid host.

You should make an effort to advertise your own game at any case, irregardless of hub pages. It's beneficial not only for you, but for BYOND as well. It also makes sense for one to put an effort into his own game, eh? Also, as you've agreed - everybody does it - it's not unusual at all.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
If someone else gives you a hub, it won't even be listed as your game, again thereby defeating half the purpose of having a hub.

If your only reason for wanting a hub is some BYOND fame, then good luck with that unrewarding lost cause. It can easily be posted on the hub who the game is by, and more importantly, noted in the game itself.

EDIT: And trust me, forum advertising is not a way to improve the community. It will start all kinds of flame wars and ridiculous threads.

If you people would actually read the topic... that has already been discussed here as well.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
I guarantee BYOND would be better off (and more profitable) in practically every way if you would listen to me for 10 minutes.

Make one more condescending post, Falacy. Let's see how it goes. This time I won't just ban you from the forums.
In response to Falacy
"Fame" is not the correct word. "Recognition" is. The fact that someone else's name will be on the game is kind of a let down. You seem to be missing the point. Putting up games under another's hub will be extremely disorganized, not to mention you would no longer have any control over it. It would simply mimic the AMV situation on YouTube.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
"Fame" is not the correct word. "Recognition" is. The fact that someone else's name will be on the game is kind of a let down. You seem to be missing the point. Putting up games under another's hub will be extremely disorganized, not to mention you would no longer have any control over it. It would simply mimic the AMV situation on YouTube.

My proposal is to keep hubs, but only allow members to submit their games for listing/search, and those games themselves will undergo some minor approval criteria to try to weed out rips (and possibly reroute fangames, if we go in that direction).
In response to Tom
Why not simply eliminate Guilds, move the categories of each guild into the "BYOND Forums" and only allowed members to submit their game for approval to the "Published" section, while keeping everyone else in the Unpublished?
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Why not simply eliminate Guilds, move the categories of each guild into the "BYOND Forums" and only allowed members to submit their game for approval to the "Published" section, while keeping everyone else in the Unpublished?

That is roughly the idea, although we're keeping the guilds around as sites for community discussion for the time being. Also, some people use private sites for their own purposes.
In response to Tom
Well, I think there should be a main "BYOND Forums" section that lists all of the major forums in one place.
Flame Sage wrote:
Well, I think there should be a main "BYOND Forums" section that lists all of the major forums in one place.

Possibly, but it would take some work to get right, and IMO it's not that important in the grand scheme of things.
In response to Kaioken
Having a hub is already little advertisement:
1. I am online on my own game with hub.
2. I invite some of friends to test/play it.
3. Some people notice on pager their friend is playing something new and they connect.
4. Game hub starts climbing up in Live Game list and more people start joining it
5. Eventually someone favorites/watches it, and it starts appearing in searches
6. Everyone start inviting friends over.

Without hub:
1. I am online on my own game with hub.
2. I invite some of friends to test/play it.
3. Some people notice on pager their friend is playing something new and they connect.
4. We all start sending mass messages and advertising it in forums (= spam).
Flame Sage wrote:

That still somewhat prevents original ideas to start rolling.

There could be some staff team dedicated to inspecting newly created hubs to make sure no rip gets through. Together with some punishment system it should work great. However at this point with so many rips already in public it'll be hard to achieve and normalize.
In response to Ripiz
Ripiz wrote:
There could be some staff team dedicated to inspecting newly created hubs to make sure no rip gets through. Together with some punishment system it should work great. However at this point with so many rips already in public it'll be hard to achieve and normalize.

Well, the way to solve that is to only list games in the current official guilds + anything else we find / people point out. And members can then submit their existing games if they think they qualify.
In response to Tom
That goes back to what I say saying.
Have two sections. "Published" and "Unpublished"

"Published" for the games that are in guilds, and "Unpublished" for games that aren't.
In response to Tom
So it's pretty much the old "published/unpublished" system except, you can't search for unpublished games and you have to be a paying member to publish games. I actually like that.
Flame Sage wrote:

"Published" for the games that are in guilds, and "Unpublished" for games that aren't.

Yeah, except there's no actual "unpublished" list. You'll have the hubs and can direct link to them, but we're not going to support them otherwise (through listing or search).
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Flame Sage wrote:

Yeah, except there's no actual "unpublished" list. You'll have the hubs and can direct link to them, but we're not going to support them otherwise (through listing or search).

That seems a little risky. Wouldn't that just bring us back to the system we have now? Tons of rips in the Guilds?
I'm sure people would be discouraged to find out "DBZ RIP #234234" isn't going to be accepted into the guild.
Some may turn into creating an original game, which is great, but others might not.
Flame Sage wrote:
That seems a little risky. Wouldn't that just bring us back to the system we have now? Tons of rips in the Guilds?

If the games have to be approved to be in a guild, then how would the guilds have tons of rips?
True.
I at least like that somethings being done about the current situation. (At least it appears to be.)
Change for the sake of change isn't going to get us anywhere. :)

I think Tom should form a group of people to "test" the new website piece by piece, that way the community can get some input.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9