ID:132532

I'd like to request that BYOND Journalism be added to the Community menu at the top of the site. Thus far it's done a fantastic job at keeping not only myself but other members of the community here up-to-date with current events, as well as provide insight into some of BYONDs most interesting people. Adding it to the community menu would not only open it up to a wider audience, but also server to give newer members of the community another way to learn about the people and community they have just ventured into.
I also enjoy BYOND Journalism, but should a privately owned guild be listed amongst the ones the staff can overrule? What does that say about their journalistic integrity?
In response to ACWraith
There is also the question of it being dumped in the future when material gets a little more sparse. Look at poor Audiophiles.
In response to Stephen001
I frequent Audiophiles when I'm looking for audio material and software to produce it for my projects.

About the private ownership, what exactly is the difference between guilds like the Pixel Art Society and The Big Five, as opposed to BYOND Journalism as it is now?
In response to F0lak
They serve the development process (in the case of Art Society) and publication process to new and existing users alike (in the case of banner guilds). Also, Tom can throw us out.
Can Tom technically not throw out any guild he chooses to?
In response to F0lak
It's not the guild, it's the people in charge of it.
Ah. So BYOND essentially has control over the banner guilds' staff, whereas a privately owned guild is free from that type of control?
In response to F0lak
Pretty much. It mostly works via a lot of self-determination now, but Tom ultimately has something of a veto. For example if BYOND Anime wasn't performing very well and Tom reasonably felt it was down to my actions, he can happily seek to replace me.
There will always be room for more articles, reviews, and the "newspaper" articles. I don't think we really need to worry about those running out. Interviews, yeah those will run out eventually. However, I don't think there will ever be a lack of material in the other realms of that BYOND Journalism is supposedly about, which is articles, reviews, and "contests", as it says on the top-left of the site.
In response to Fugsnarf
I'd be inclined to give it a month or two to get into rhythm, if the intention is to add it. It's not even got traffic history for a month on google analytics yet.
I'd agree with you there. I personally don't think it's gotten quite far enough along to be anything "official" yet. And as you said below, there's the matter that it's a private guild as well.
F0lak wrote:
I'd like to request that BYOND Journalism be added to the Community menu at the top of the site. Thus far it's done a fantastic job at keeping not only myself but other members of the community here up-to-date with current events, as well as provide insight into some of BYONDs most interesting people. Adding it to the community menu would not only open it up to a wider audience, but also server to give newer members of the community another way to learn about the people and community they have just ventured into.

This would be hard to do. Sure if you look at it you'll see the interviews, weekly article, and one review (for now). But we (meaning just me) have poor moderation (because I intend for free conversation, no deleting of posts, ever (actually thats a lie, certain people like Ryuk25 or Static-Gt would get theres deleted for trolling)). Now that is sort of ok because we're not a "banner guild", however that doesn't get us in the high tier for the community tab unless I go back on my work and delete some comments (IE the small convo with me and empirez team in Weekly #3).

As for the staff, well as I said, it is just me, and I have 2 contributors Fugsnarf and Theironx, and we also have Chris Gayle to help me out with CSS. We just haven't hit it high enough to get to the level we need to be at yet.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
I'd agree with you there. I personally don't think it's gotten quite far enough along to be anything "official" yet. And as you said below, there's the matter that it's a private guild as well.

It's private in the fact I'm pretty much the only official guy running it, but it's "public" in the sense that anyone can submit anything (however to block the spam posts we(i) have to review them until we get a good journalism staff).
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
Along the lines of new content for it, Development Articles, maybe an "Ask X" column where you answer 5 or so questions from readers every week, and a calendar listing important events or such (such as the release of a much-anticipated game, Sponsored contests, etc) would all be nice additions. All you need is the staff.

If you're really looking for people, there are classified ads on all the major forums. You could have one representative from each guild whose job it is to gather information about their guild for use in the various dimensions of 'The BJ', which would not only make it easier for Fugsnarf to gather material for his weeklys, but everyone would be able to get more done.
In response to F0lak
Development articles, as long as they aren't similar to what belongs in Dream Makers sure. However, if this has the slim chance of getting on the community listing, there is no chance I can be the guild master, I would have to pass it on to someone who can be more professional than I am.