ID:181536

I'd moved out of parents house a few months back and had a chance to go through my mass quantities of old misc junk I had piled up in my many nooks and crannies. Among this junk though I found pure gold, my old PSone and a number or working games. Final Fantasy VII, Xenogear, Dino Crisis, Valkyrie Profile, MegaMan Legends, Metal Gear Solid and others.

I've been playing a couple of them after buffing out as many scratches as is possible, but it just seems to me that these games are not only as fun, but more so then when I played them all those long years ago. What were some of your favorite PSone games and why?
  • Pitball is one of the best cooperative games ever. There are not nearly enough fantasy sports games.
  • Blast Chamber is a fun competitive game that holds up.
  • Tomba! is one of the few platformers I can stand. (Perhaps because it's more of a metroidvania.) Tomba! 2: The Evil Swine Return was good as well, but I would have liked it better without voice acting.
  • Monster Rancher and Monster Rancher 2 rocked. I've never enjoyed any other pet simulations.
  • Armored Core and its expansions, Project Phantasma and Master of Arena were awesome for their ability to customize robots. (I bought the next set on PS2, but I couldn't get into it.) They're also the first games where I was able to accept a mission structure. I prefer open worlds or session-based play.
  • Tail of the Sun is a fun open world game. It makes little sense, but the exploration is fun even if the combat is shallow.
  • I spent a lot of time gunning people down, painting the road with blood and outrunning cops in the original Grand Theft Auto. I never bothered with the missions.
  • Xenogears is one of the few RPGs I've ever played with a satisfying story. Having a battle system that resembled a fighting game was also a plus.
  • Speaking of fighting games, I loved Soul Blade/Edge, Bloody Roar, Bushido Blade and Guilty Gear. I don't think there were enough during the PS2 generation and I'm missing out on the current generation.
  • Darkstone doesn't get the credit it deserves for being a fun dungeon crawl... And I like the gypsy song.
In response to ACWraith
Xenogears was (and still is) my favorite video game. It's got a powerful feeling to it.
^- Unrelated but yea.

Related: It's like that with everything when you're a kid you just play games because they entertain you don't get much emotion from it, like videos (Lion King, Forrest Gump) When you're kids you laugh at em, and see the comedy, but when you get older and re-watch them because you can, it's more emotional than it once was (comedy is still there though at some points).
Here's a chart of all the good games listed by genre.

If you haven't already played the sequel to Megaman Legends, I'd suggest checking it out. The shooting gameplay was altered for the better and the dungeons are much more detailed. My only criticism is they changed Megaman's voice actor.

Dino Crisis 2 is also pretty darn good. They tweaked a lot of the gameplay mechanics from the first one and delivered a much better game overall. It may not be quite as spooky as the first, but the gameplay makes up for it.

Final Fantasy IX would have to be my favorite of the series. The characters are all likable, the protagonist isn't an emo sissy, and the game has taken a few steps forward graphically when compared to its predecessors. I've really been meaning to go back and play it again, it's a terrific game.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:

That chart is 100% true, although I can't seem to locate Tecmo's Deception on there, so it's not complete =p
In response to SuperAntx
Yeah I remember renting Megaman Legends 2 when I was younger with my weeks allowance. Tron Bonne? That's a must see for me. I'm now going to really take a look into these PSX emulators and check out a few more of those titles.
In response to Rtbbvr
Rtbbvr wrote:
Tron Bonne? That's a must see for me.

I haven't played it myself, but I guess a lot of people seem to like it.
In response to SuperAntx
What's that game between Metal Gear and Vigilante? Looks interesting although Japanese.
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
Darkstone doesn't get the credit it deserves for being a fun dungeon crawl... And I like the gypsy song.
Darkstone was pretty cool. I got it way after the days of the PSone.

I can think of Rayman, Wipeout, and Medieval as pretty good. I never played the Final Fantasy games but I had RPG Maker! :D
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:

I am now going to check out most of those games simply because you have listed my top 3 favorite Games there. (All RPGS)
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Star Ocean: TSS
In response to Leur
Definitely go with SuperantX's chart there, it rocks. Legend of Dragoon Specifically. Still one of my favorite games of all time.

Rtbbvr wrote:
What were some of your favorite PSone games and why?

I'll omit the "and why" for most of these; the "why" is basically because I enjoyed the games. My list will also omit many great games simply because I was always too poor to have or rent very many---a good number of the games are ones I'd borrowed from friends after they beat them.

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy VI (part of the Anthologies or Chronicles collection or some such)
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Syphon Filter
  • Syphon Filter 2
  • Syphon Filter 3
  • Tenchu
  • Tenchu 2
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Megaman Legends
  • Megaman Legends 2
  • Megaman 8
  • Tekken 3
  • Tekken 2
  • Tekken (was ok, but fails after you've played 2 and 3...)
  • NFL Blitz
  • Marvel vs. Capcom
  • Galerians
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
  • THPS 2
  • THPS 3
  • Ehrgeiz

Some demos I really liked, but could never afford to get the full game or find a friend that owned it:
  • Bomberman World
  • Brave Fencer Musashi
  • Tomba
  • Small Soldiers
  • Spyro

I know there are plenty more, but we're talking over a decade ago!
How could you guys forget about Crash Team Racing and Digimon World 3? =(

In response to Proteen
Proteen:
How could you guys forget about Crash Team Racing and Digimon World 3? =(

Never heard of either of them. Don't actually want to play them (Maybe Digimon) but racing games are meh.(to me)
In response to Leur
You're missing out, man. Missing out.
I dunno if anyone has really played them...but Lunar 1 - Silver Star Story and Lunar 2 - Eternal Blue are some of the best PSOne RPG's of all time...not to mention my first RPG's that I played as a kid..

If you can go check em out.
In response to Matt3151
Legend of Dragoon. Beautiful game. :) I'm sad no one said anything about Vagrant Story. Its got bonus dungeons, well made combinations, different magic, and is an overall good game combined with a great story line. Chrono Cross is sexy. Final fantasy 7? Cloud is so.. ha forgot it was a game for a minute. Anyway a great game. I didn't finish Dark Stone because someone stole it from me. :( but for what I played it was a good game. :) I was a sucker for oddworld and tony hawk pro skate two even though simple. I still have the games but i don't have time to play them mostly when i do i take six months to complete them because i'm so busy and can't get to them till later for maybe 30 minutes. Cuz of work and all.. but i still enjoy it. :)
In response to GITS-Motoko
And by the way in Chrono Cross even though i hear you get rewards for not saving kid i never had the heart not to. :( Lol. Who didn't? /I did once, and glenn? Worth it. But still felt bad. :(
In response to GITS-Motoko
You get Leena if you don't save kid the first time. (I mean don't allow her to join your party, I forgot what happens if you don't save her, though you don't have to go through the marshes, and OH I think you get Glenn in your party.

Also, this is a month old Matt3151 >:{
In response to Leur
Yes you get Glenn. That's why its worth it kind of because glenn is one of the strongest players in the game. I mean thats who i got and i think you get that cook guy if you save her or somethin idk lol. Never the less a well made game. I wasn't expecting it when i got it.
Page: 1 2