ID:157796

Most of the games that I create are multiplayer with one or more single servers that I run. I am looking to create a redistributable so that I can upload my game on other websites, and all the player has to do is download and double-click the EXE.

With the Guest functionality, as well as the new feature where BYOND can be packaged with your game, this is possible.

http://www.byond.com/developer/articles/publish

My one question is: how does packaging resources work? My game has a 12 meg resource file (oh the shame! it's got OGGs) and I would like to package that resource file in with my EXE file so that the player doesn't have to download anything extra.

I am going to try and test this out, but I'm working on a limited connection for the rest of the day.

Should my packaged-up folder structure look like this?

Game.exe -> points to byond://Polatrite.Game##remote##guest
Game.rsc
BYOND/

~Polatrite~
I think there should be *.exe, *.dmb, *.rsc also BYOND itself, so people without BYOND can run it.
But not fully sure
In response to Ripiz
Ripiz wrote:
I think there should be *.exe, *.dmb, *.rsc also BYOND itself, so people without BYOND can run it.
But not fully sure

The game is hosted on a server, there is no *.dmb for players to access.
In response to Polatrite
Bump.
In response to Polatrite
What I ever though was EXE just calls the dmb and executes it.
I don't think there's any way to currently tell an EXE to load a provided RSC before joining a server. It would be a nice feature, if they could rig the client to then just download any extra files the client may be missing (or have an older version of)
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
I don't think there's any way to currently tell an EXE to load a provided RSC before joining a server. It would be a nice feature, if they could rig the client to then just download any extra files the client may be missing (or have an older version of)

Yeah, there's an internal function to do that, so we'll figure out a way to incorporate it for devs.