ID:157914

I recently submitted a bug report detailing how client.pixel_x/y isn't updating properly when I call it in a running loop each tick. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can work around this bug? It seems some games (like Theodis.RacingGame) have no problems with client pixel offsets.

I am working on a number of technical prototypes for a new UI concept and would like to work around this issue to see if the idea will work for me or not.

~Polatrite~
Manually update the client.pixel along with the pixel offset of the mob the player is moving around.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Manually update the client.pixel along with the pixel offset of the mob the player is moving around.

So if I update client.mob.pixel_x/y at the same time I update client.pixel_x/y, it will work properly? (I'm at work, I'll check at lunch)

~Polatrite~
In response to Polatrite
That's what I do and it seems to work properly, aside from a flicker bug during multiplayer.
In response to SuperAntx
I've never had a single problem using client.pixel_x/pixel_y even without using atom.pixel_x/pixel_y -- Submerged uses client pixel offsets to generate things like the screen rumble and whatnot, works perfectly in single and multiplayer.
In response to Nadrew
During multiplayer it will flicker constantly, and on several occasions it has crashed DS outright. These problems do not exist while offline.
In response to SuperAntx
I've tested Submerged in multiplayer more than once, nobody who has tried it has complained that the screen effects cause any problems.
In response to Nadrew
You're rumbling the screen, not following a player around with pixel movement.
In response to SuperAntx
I've also never come across the problem you mentioned with systems I've made that do exactly that, even when testing with other people. Have you considered it might be something with your hardware?
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
I've also never come across the problem you mentioned with systems I've made that do exactly that, even when testing with other people. Have you considered it might be something with your hardware?

An example solution (http://www.polatrite.com/files/ClientPixelBug.zip) was posted with the bug report. Does it exhibit the same problems on your machine?

~Polatrite~

Edit: Hyperlink fail?
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
That's what I do and it seems to work properly, aside from a flicker bug during multiplayer.

I've used weather systems in games where it changes the icon_state of an area, and when it changes the weather, it would do that exact flicker for every player in the game, no matter where they were in the world. And only during online play.

I haven't seen any issues with offsets that result in that flicker, though.

If you're working with areas in your project, it might be the issue.

Or the two could be connected. Maybe the way BYOND draws something.