ID:181757

If you happened to read my earlier post, you'd know I'm slightly paranoid and/or obsessive about my CPU's cooling. Cooler CPUs last longer and perhaps work better, and having a computer that's too hot can cause freeze ups or forced shutdowns.

You can use the program CPUID Hardware Monitor to easily check your CPU temperature as well as the temperature of other pieces of hardware.

I'm curious to know what the CPU temperatures are for your computer when idle and when under heavy load for extended periods - and what setup you're using to get those temperatures.

--

The computer I'm using now is in a who-knows-what case that's about 5-6 years old. It has an air duct at the bottom-front and some drilled holes on the sides of the face panel. Four 80mm fans up front pull air in through those holes. It has a 60mm fan in the back, a power unit at the top with a 120mm intake and 80mm output fan in the back as well. There is also a 80mm fan on the side blowing cool air towards the CPU, and it uses a standard Intel P4 heatsink. It has also been subjected to extensive cable management.

Its a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 with 2ghz of RAM and 128meg graphics card.

The computer room's ambient temperatures are around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit most of the time.
CPU Idle temperature averages: 34°C
Max temperature while watching 2 hours of full-screen video on Hulu: 48°C

What about yours?
[ NOTE: I post degrees in Celsius. ]

My CPU Idles at 35-37 degrees.
After playing an hour of Assassin's Creed: 43 degrees
During a NOD32 Full Computer Scan: 48-50 degrees

My CPU is an Intel Pentium Dual E2180 Clocked at 2.5 GHz, running two Gigs of RAM, with an nVidia 9800 GT graphics card with 1Gb memory.

My case has three fans:
- One fan is for the power supply.
- One is the factory fan atop my CPU.
- One is the fan atop my Graphics Card.

My idle room temperature is 21-23.
At low usage (been playing music), my CPU cores are at 39/41/42/44°C. After an hour of running at 100% (cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null) they top out at about 70°C.

I'm on an Intel Core 2 Quad at 2.83ghz, and I've got a full-tower case containing 5 100mm fans. My CPU uses the stock Intel cooler -- I've been considering upgrading to a big after-market cooler so that I can safely increase the clock rate, but I've decided to wait for my warranty to expire before I do that.
AMD Althlon64 x2, core one is between 45-48 celsius at idle, while core two is steady at 39C while idle, cant check under load right now, Ill test it with a game tommorow. I only have the stock fan in my HP tower, but AMD also includes this massive fan strapped to the heatsink that turns on at about 35 thousand rpm when the cpu heats up, so I'm never exactly worried about it.

EDIT: I say I'll just run a game like its no big deal, then I get the hardest crash I've ever had in COD4. Thank Foomer.

EDIT: After 20 minutes of COD4, Ive got 54 and 50 C for my CPU's, and 84 for my GPU, this is all stock cooling. Graphics card is geforce 8500 GT 512mb
Idle: 41 degrees Celcius.
In-use: maximum of about 55 degrees Celcius.

It's the GPU I was worried about. Thanks to its passive cooling, it was idling at 60 degrees Celcius. Playing GTA would bump it up to 110 degrees.

So I added an extra fan. Now the GPU is 54 degrees Celcius when idle, up to a maximum of 72 degrees.
That just shows me how few sensors I actually have =P. Only my hard drives and GPU are reporting anything to it.

http://nadrew.com/images/hwmon.PNG

The results after running TF2 (which my computer chokes pretty badly on, so I figured it was a good test).

1.7Ghz Celeron
2 back-mounted 80MM fans
1 side-mounted 80MM fan
PSU has 1 120MM fan as well.
Standard Celeron Heatsink + Fan combination
256MB PCI (normal PCI) GeForce 6200
1.5GB DDR RAM

Temperature indoors right now is about 65°F; fluctuates a bit during the day. During the summer it can get upwards of 120°F in here, which are days I turn the computer off and avoid this room.
3.6Ghz Quad Core,
4Gb of DDR3,
512MB gpu, soon to be 1024MB (Radeon HD5870 tomoz!)

33C at the moment on the CPU. 71 Fahrenheit ambience.
After heavy-load (Prime 95, SuperPi, or lots and lots of Crysis) normally about 54C.
In response to Android Data
GPU's are better at handling heat. Some speculate they even work better at higher temperatures. Even still, 110C is a bit worrying!
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
Idle: 41 degrees Celcius.
In-use: maximum of about 55 degrees Celcius.

It's the GPU I was worried about. Thanks to its passive cooling, it was idling at 60 degrees Celcius. Playing GTA would bump it up to 110 degrees.

So I added an extra fan. Now the GPU is 54 degrees Celcius when idle, up to a maximum of 72 degrees.

I have to back this up, GTA4 was the only game to give my 360 red ring Once after an extremely (days long) stint of pedestrian roller coaster near new york central park (or whatever its called).
I tend not to worry about it until things start freezing or artifacts on screen appear. Then again I need an actual tower and not this lame subpar laptop that replaced my most recent one that died.
The program you link to there killed my PC -_-

After downloading it and running it alongside COD4 I had to reformat and reinstall windows. Thanks Foomer, thanks a lot... -_-
In response to Jotdaniel
Jotdaniel wrote:
I had to reformat and reinstall windows.

Why?
In response to Foomer
Severe visual artifacts, a previously unknown blue screen of death in vista(at least I had never gotten it before). Errors on hard disk that chksdk couldn't find, but stopped me from remaking a bootcfg file. Even my linux partition was screwed. Two different version of XP(media center and pro) would not install from disk, I had to use my vista upgrade disk to install, which left me without a lot of drivers. All in all tons of fun.
In response to Jotdaniel
Weird. I can't imagine how a little hardware monitoring program could cause all that. Go figure!

(Now try it again and see if it does the same thing!)
In response to Foomer
(Now try it again and see if it does the same thing!)

I am actually pretty fond of the CPUID Development Kit. I've used various tools from them recently. I have not, however, used this one because I put this in my fiancée's computer and mine is water-cooled.

My computer has not been up for a while but my fiancée's CPU temperature on the other hand:
30°C - Idle
35°C-50°C - Doing various tasks
60°C Max - Playing WoW on one monitor and watching Hulu on the other for hours