ID:151884

Appologies if this doesn't belong in this section (Edit: and it was), since it's only concepts right now. Lots of reading ahead (Don't worry, this book has pictures):

http://rentasoldier.blogspot.com/

A little side project I've slowly been building up over time. I've been putting together ideas and laying down concept art on this site over the past few weeks, getting input here and there, and I think I'm all set to make it a little more public and maybe get some fresh ideas.

I'm not a programmer, so this isn't exactly going in to heavy development any time soon. As of now I'm not really pushing to get this in production, just getting ideas, the look and feel, and some of the in-game basics (environments, base, etc) down. Also interested in hearin' if this is something you guys would like to see out on BYOND and maybe where it can improve.
I absolutely love the idea and the concept art. I would love to play it.
It would be fun on BYOND, but I think with your artwork and game play ideas it would shine so much more in a 3-D world.

I'm a programmer, although I think this type of game is above my skill level. I've never tried to tackle any in-depth game. My only work is Freeze Tag HideAway, and if you look, you can tell its not exactly in-depth. If you ever decide to make it, and you think I could help, just e-mail me at [email protected]

Well I wish you good luck with your game, and keep us posted on updates!
Hell yeah, bro! Sweet ideas, I love it.
I really like this idea and your art is amazing, If you want a coder to work on this I would be willing to join Im looking for another side project to do while trying to get icons for my current game. But if want some help with it let me know.

One thing you didnt mention really was the NPC roles in the game. If its gonna be a 24/7 game you need to consider having some basic AI for defense otherwise youll get players who will stay on all the time. They would be weak of course but would add to the resistance if there isnt any real players to help defend.
This is COMPLETELY do-able in BYOND!

A couple of things:

Add specific advantages to each kingdom , so people have more incentive to choose.

You're going to need some NPC's. Lots of them! But still doable in BYOND.

EDIT: Also make the characters spawn with slightly random stats (just make it a little mroe unique)

I would host the game MLAAS-style. (Friday nights- sunday?)

Once again, this is completely do-able in BYOND.

I'm looking forward to see how this goes. (*drools at assasin class*)
Haha, the uniqueness/concept art of the characters is awesome (especially the kings). Seems like you have a good thing going. Looking forward to it. Kind of skimmed through the bottom half so heres just some reckless ideas if you really want any, I think everything's fine though.

I too also think adding certain characteristics/advantages to certain kingdoms would be good. Like for the greedy king more money, the fat one more strength, etc (this is only on simplest/lowest basis, you'd need the diversity to get on a way deeper level then that).

• Each kingdom having different jobs that target certain characteristics.

• Each kingdom having certain unique types of weaponry/traps that have been inherited down their families, that would be an option to use.

• Each Kingdom having their own types of deadly npcs that intervene in battle or whatever.

• I'm assuming there's boats here, could have long range effect people in them, heh.
In response to Sariat
For some strange reason, I have been seeing visions of this game in my head.

A couple of things BUT how would these be tackled in DM?

Body Parts: I vision body parts just FLYING (and having the players not being able to walk as well or swing their weapons) from all the crazy amounts of damage. The trick would be to have all the graphics for it. (missing arms, legs) and having the game be able to recognize what they can or can't use:

Team up!: Imagine on really strong character taking on 3 or more weak to mid level characters, that bunch should take the strong character out, almost every time. Make it so you can team up on a person and he only has so many hands to defend so that if hes tied up with 2 or even 3 people, the 4th+ person's hits always get in

Dropable weapons: Imagine getting in a fight and getting knocked down/pushed away by a nearby explosion/etc and you drop your weapon. Well maybe you could pick up one of the weapons laying around or better yet: take one off a corpse or even body part thats been laying around! How to implement that gameplay wise in BYOND flawlessly would be awesome. (maybe have a smart click() proc)

Catapults: A user would be able to go into "sniper" mode once they load their catapult (fire,stone,ice,explosive types for the damage) but ONLY in the direction the catapult is facing within limits.

Bring a Friend!: Once a user has that "hero" status, they can recruit some NPC's and just walk around with a posse!

Super Attacks: I just imagine a HUGE warrior type flying around the screen (teleport next to a user) and slash them... almost instantly. Good way to take out a crowd.(I actually could do that in DM and I haven't coded in like 4 years.)

Missions: I have been trying to work on a mission system ever since the days of a serious SHB in 2003. I could never get it to work properly. But missions would be: assasinate a certain player on a certain team, set a trap on a certain passage way, or CAPTURE (alive) a specific player on a team.

I can seriously see this game on BYOND and I can also see it being fun.

I have some more ideas one game modes that I will post up later.
In response to Sariat
I think the GM's or Moderators of the games could also turn on specific game modes.

For example, GM picks a team and that team is now the target of everyone else. Lets say that team gets an extra special relic at thier main base, and if they hold on it to it for X seconds, they get a bonus but if it is removed outside of the base, its a free for all to bring that relic back to any of the bases.

Temporary alliances, so 2 on 2 (kingdoms) or even 3 on 1 would make for interesting situations.

Attack/Defend: Give any defending teams special items to build so they can barricade themselves in. (arrow/cannon turrets,walls, spikes, etc) On the flip side give the attacking teams special items so they can break through the obstacles.(mobile turrets,battery rams, catapults, etc)

I really think this game would do amazing being held only at certain times.
In response to Sariat
make love, not war!
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:

For example, GM picks a team and that team is now the target of everyone else. Lets say that team gets an extra special relic at thier main base, and if they hold on it to it for X seconds, they get a bonus but if it is removed outside of the base, its a free for all to bring that relic back to any of the bases.

I like the sound of that. 1 kingdom discovers something very rare and valuable, word gets out about it, and everyone else is after it. Won't be too hard on the kingdom that finds it because the other 3 will most likely be fighting between eachother rather than coordinate.

Temporary alliances, so 2 on 2 (kingdoms) or even 3 on 1 would make for interesting situations.

Yes it would.

Attack/Defend: Give any defending teams special items to build so they can barricade themselves in. (arrow/cannon turrets,walls, spikes, etc) On the flip side give the attacking teams special items so they can break through the obstacles.(mobile turrets,battery rams, catapults, etc)

Catapults: A user would be able to go into "sniper" mode once they load their catapult (fire,stone,ice,explosive types for the damage) but ONLY in the direction the catapult is facing within limits.

Definitely thought about getting vehicles/seige weapons involved.

Body Parts: I vision body parts just FLYING (and having the players not being able to walk as well or swing their weapons) from all the crazy amounts of damage. The trick would be to have all the graphics for it. (missing arms, legs) and having the game be able to recognize what they can or can't use

That'd be a whoooooole lot of work. States for each possible missing body part combination (right arm and left leg gone, just the left arm gone, both legs gone but both arms still there, etc) for the base and clothing. Having a body part "crippled" or "injured" while still there would work though.

Team up!: Imagine on really strong character taking on 3 or more weak to mid level characters, that bunch should take the strong character out, almost every time. Make it so you can team up on a person and he only has so many hands to defend so that if hes tied up with 2 or even 3 people, the 4th+ person's hits always get in

I'd rather the more skilled player (or players) win instead of predictable matchups.

Dropable weapons: Imagine getting in a fight and getting knocked down/pushed away by a nearby explosion/etc and you drop your weapon. Well maybe you could pick up one of the weapons laying around or better yet: take one off a corpse or even body part thats been laying around! How to implement that gameplay wise in BYOND flawlessly would be awesome. (maybe have a smart click() proc)

I had considered full loot, but I'm on the fence about it. I imagine everyone's gonna be dying way too much for that not to get annoying.

Bring a Friend!: Once a user has that "hero" status, they can recruit some NPC's and just walk around with a posse!

Very doable. You may also be sent on missions with some NPC backup.

Super Attacks: I just imagine a HUGE warrior type flying around the screen (teleport next to a user) and slash them... almost instantly.

lol I do want some over the top moves, but teleporing probably won't make it in.

Missions: I have been trying to work on a mission system ever since the days of a serious SHB in 2003. I could never get it to work properly. But missions would be: assasinate a certain player on a certain team, set a trap on a certain passage way, or CAPTURE (alive) a specific player on a team.

Maybe enemy players with high kill counts wind up on your country's hit list and you get a big bonus for killing them? As for capturing real players, I never liked the sound of that in a multiplayer game, because in the end, it means a player is stuck not being able to do anything for a while and that's not any fun at all. Especially when it turns into capturing just to grief.
In response to AmonR
AmonR wrote:
That'd be a whoooooole lot of work. States for each possible missing body part combination (right arm and left leg gone, just the left arm gone, both legs gone but both arms still there, etc) for the base and clothing. Having a body part "crippled" or "injured" while still there would work though.

I somehow worked out how to remove sections of icon a while back (I think it's just a case of using Blend and ICON_AND), so you could probably autogenerate most states. Have the limb extend from the clothing a little and mask the edge with blood splats or something.
In response to AmonR
So how serious are you about turning this game into a reality?

I think it would do awesome in BYOND.

Email me @ [email protected] with your contact info you wanna start talking.
Completetly awesome, all I have to say is PICK AN AWESOME PROGRAMMER, like pick someone who is known good and has already made games and has been on BYOND for atleast like 4 years +
In response to Bakasensei
I'm researching a flawless limb system for something I'm working on. I'll let ya know how it goes.
I'm wondering how possible naval combat is with Byond? Not small, one person boats, but big ones that can carry other players while not forcing them to be stuck in one place on the ship (i.e. they can move freely around the deck while the boat moves). In any case, that'd be way down the line, so if it's not possible now, maybe future Byond updates will allow for something like this?

As for how serious I am/am I looking for a coder right now, I am serious about doing this eventually but not immediately as I'd rather see this other project I'm helping out with come out before I go all out with this first, but work is being done on it, very slowly. I can almost guarantee that by the time I do decide to pick up a coder, all the necessary graphics (base, tiles, objects, etc) and design aspects will be finalized and ready. Really on the visual side, as of now, all I really need to make are buildings, interior stuff and finish off the base.
In response to AmonR
I don't see anything about naval combat like that being impossible - Its quite possible. When considering limits on BYOND, you shouldn't be looking at design limits like that.
In response to AmonR
Actually the ship idea wouldnt be to hard to accomplish just depends on all you would want to include on it. The thing I could see being difficult to accomplish (not the programming but the way players do it) is a nice way to switch between boats if you can board an enemy boat you would need to swing/jump/walk from your boat to the other. Depending on how you do it that could be a little difficult to find a method.

As for a programmer like before Im interested in helping with this project. If your interested contact me and let me know Im on almost all the time and I can put up the alpha of the game im working on right now to show what I can do also. I really want to get away from fan based games and start on something original.

If not as the main programmer I would still be willing to work as a tester or assistant programmer to help with the project. I think starting a game with the iconner already found will make it move a lot faster cause thats what hinders a lot of good games.
In response to AmonR
Yeah, thats very smart of you to have this as your only project, cause 99% of the time if your working on multiple things you'll get uninspired and stop working on it. I still am really looking forward to this, and though i'm not looking for staff(Since I don't even follow the regulations I told you to look for a programmer by, and i'm working on another game for someone), I could help out like testing, and criticm and such on the game. I just hope the programmer you pick is as good at programming, as you are at drawing(Meaning he should be badass!) ^^.
In response to Bakasensei
Yeah AmonR is a great artist I wish I could get him to work on my Avatar game with me cause that would improve it a lot. But with the working on more than one game it really kinda depends. I fine doing assigned work, work that your not having to come up with ideas, doesnt take as much effort and can be done in spare time. With my current game im programming I spend most of my time figuring out how I want things to work and whether they are worth it or not rather than actually programming. Once I figure out how I want it, it only takes a little while to implement it. But this post is a little off topic anyways just saw it and felt like responding
The concept art for the kings looks like something right out of Castle Crashers. Very cool!

Do you plan on making the whole game tile-based with get_step() detection for melee and simple projectiles for bombers or will you have pixel movement, pixel projectiles, and all that neat stuff?
Page: 1 2