In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
But I see the problem: you don't drive a recumbent trike like a bike - it's apples and oranges beyond the basic components of saddle/pedals/chain. When riding at 20-25 mph you would be better to stay in the saddle because the trike protects you far better than the concrete you would land on if jumping off. I'll happily take a crumpled wheel or scratched paint over road-rash any day.

I think that really depends on the person. For a person who takes falls well outside of containers (me) and would be more comfortable falling where he could be spread out a bit and not be stuck inside a container (me), it probably would be better to just ditch the vehicle. Maybe I'm just claustrophobic and I don't have faith in man-made safety devices, but I do take falls pretty well. I just think being inside that thing really limits your options.

Think of the people who would be alive today had they just ditched the car when they sensed a collision.

Seriously, would you rather cycle on this:

Me!
digitalmouse wrote:
Since I am typically faster than most things around me in the city, that's not a big problem.

Ah. City. That explains it.

Plus the fact that in Europe, there are usually cycle roads that are separate from the car roads.

We have one or two, though people usually think they're turning lanes and drive on them.

Several articles I've read also point out that when drivers see velomobiles (like the Leitra) on the road, they give a much wider berth when passing and slow down considerably more. It's a combination of better visibility (looks like a little car) and curiousity.

Same effect with a flag and reflector jacket. Still, I'm not thinking about people who just don't see you. I can't count how many times people swerved to hit me round here. One guy coming from the other way even crossed the center line, and the line on my side of the shoulder, to hit me. I just feel more in control if I can ditch in split second if I have to.

Another unknown fact is that you *do have the right* to the road as much as motor vehicles do in the absence of cycle paths.

Oh, you're preaching to the converted. If there's one thing I can't stand it's people that don't know the laws of the road. I almost stabbed one guy for trying to run me off the road because he didn't think I should be riding in the street. After that, I figured it would be safer for everyone if I didn't ride in the road, so now I don't if I can help it. Otherwise, someone's gonna get hurt bad.

If you 'take the road' (don't ride in the unsafe edge of the road, but in the right hand car-tire-track) and are visible enough (velomobile body and/or lots of lights and flags), drivers pay attention and give you more respect.

HAHAHAHAHA!

I don't use either systems, and as long as you ride defensively there is rarely a need to worry (I'm more afraid of other cyclists than of cars/trucks, and I probably travel a lot farther and faster than you do during a commute and in heavier traffic).

Maybe, I ride a mountain bike, so my top speed is probably about 35 mph. Further, I don't know. I don't ride right now because the road I live on is a death sentence for cyclists. I passed one last night coming home. He had no lights, bad reflectors, no flag or yellow anything, and on this dark and curvy canyon road too. I have to worry bout not hitting oncoming traffic with my truck, the road is that narrow at times. It's no place for cyclists, especially morons who have a death wish like that guy I saw last night.

The idea is to be aware enough to not get to that point in the first place, but each situation is different.

Ok, I'm aware enough to know I'm bout to drive over a cliff. :P

Maybe it's not the same for you, but I do ride trails from time to time, often without knowing the trail. So, sudden drop offs aren't uncommon for me. I've almost lost it couple times, just going too fast and not knowing the trail.

But I see the problem: you don't drive a recumbent trike like a bike - it's apples and oranges beyond the basic components of saddle/pedals/chain. When riding at 20-25 mph you would be better to stay in the saddle because the trike protects you far better than the concrete you would land on if jumping off. I'll happily take a crumpled wheel or scratched paint over road-rash any day.

I loves my bike. If there is some way to save it I will. But I'm not going to sit there while some maniac tries to run me down. Aluminum cage or no, a car hurts.

And of course, no measure of technology can save you from your own stupidity. But a velomobile can at least increase your protection from others. And do it comfortably.

Meh, I'll stick with my truck if I want protection.

Seriously, would you rather cycle on this:

or this:

(or this:)

Well, I can only see the first one, but since I can guess the others re recumbents, I'd say none of the above. Those thin little 12 speed racing bikes aren't my thing. I prefer touring.
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
Ah. City. That explains it.

The same applies for twisty mountain roads (atleast going down hill - uphill I can be slower when carrying a heavy load). I have actually been almost keep up with an older 911 Porsche down a very twisty German mountain road, mostly because I can carry my speed through the turns a bit faster than a regular cycle (the fairing helps a lot).

But yeah, small roads are no fun at all, I agree. You just have to pick your battles.

After that, I figured it would be safer for everyone if I didn't ride in the road, so now I don't if I can help it. Otherwise, someone's gonna get hurt bad.

But riding on the sidewalk (or similar space not on the road) can be more unsafe because you have to avoid stationary (or nearly stationary) objects like people, dogs, baby-carriages, trashcans, mailboxes, etc. Riding on the road is still safer (and faster) by comparison.

Instead of stabbing maybe just get his license and report him to police? One thing I like to do sometimes is film my route - I have a little digitalcamera (with a movie-mode) mounted to the seat above my shoulder. I've seen some cool helmet-cams that would work too. Video footage is hard to refute in court. Oddly enough, I've never had any trouble from drivers or other cyclists when the camera is rolling. It's only when the $#&! battery dies that the exciting stuff happens. :(

I have to worry bout not hitting oncoming traffic with my truck, the road is that narrow at times. It's no place for cyclists, especially morons who have a death wish like that guy I saw last night.

Like I said, you need to pick your battles. People like him are probably messing up the gene-pool anyway.

Well, I can only see the first one, but since I can guess the others re recumbents, I'd say none of the above. Those thin little 12 speed racing bikes aren't my thing. I prefer touring.

Ack! picasaweb is being stupid. Time to rely on my good old MacMini webserver:

Would you rather ride this?

or this:

(or this:)
digitalmouse wrote:
The same applies for twisty mountain roads (atleast going down hill - uphill I can be slower when carrying a heavy load).

Yeah, again. Touring. Heavy loads are sort of part and parcel. :P

I have actually been almost keep up with an older 911 Porsche down a very twisty German mountain road, mostly because I can carry my speed through the turns a bit faster than a regular cycle (the fairing helps a lot).

You'd never do that on this road. The posted speed limit is 40, so everyone does 50+ with the real madmen (like the friggen guy who PASSED ME t 50MPH the other day about 30 YARDS away from one of those tight blind curves, nearly causing a head-on collision with a car coming from the opposite direction...) do at least 60. With no shoulder, tight blind curves and more memorials long it's way for the people it claimed than any other road I've seen, you'd be crazy to try.

But riding on the sidewalk (or similar space not on the road) can be more unsafe because you have to avoid stationary (or nearly stationary) objects like people, dogs, baby-carriages, trashcans, mailboxes, etc. Riding on the road is still safer (and faster) by comparison.

I don't know how they build roads over there, but most of the good ones here have a bit of a shoulder, that's where I usually ride. I never ride on the sidewalk, and everything else is either going to get run over, or should get before it does. Although, I have had dogs stop me in my tracks. It's those little yappy ones that always jump right in front of my tire. Not sure if it's courage or natural selection, but they have a death wish. The big ones I just ride circles around, and that finishes their chase behavior pretty quick.

Instead of stabbing maybe just get his license and report him to police?

You mean his cousin? >.>

One thing I like to do sometimes is film my route

A friend of mine used to carry spark plugs for people's windshields. I carried a long sliver of steel. I'm sure a camera could hurt if you throw it hard enough.

Ack! picasaweb is being stupid. Time to rely on my good old MacMini webserver:

If that second one is sporting rocket boosters, count me in.
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
But Sheldrake brought up some interesting points about the JREF's Million Dollar Challenge that brings into question the purpose of the challenge itself. My biggest gripe is the fact that Randi gets all the rights to publicize and market the findings, which Sheldrake refuses to allow. By entering, you give up your rights to the technology if it is proven true. That would make me not want to apply, million dollars or not. Anything that would be proven true by JREF would be worth billions.

From listening to Sheldrake, it sounded more like JREF reserves rights to PR about the contest. If you come to them and win/lose the prize, they don't take your idea, they just get the right to publish about it. Sounds fair to me. I haven't read the contract that is required, so I don't know if this is the case, but what Sheldrake was saying sounded, to me, like a well crafted response to make something completely normal seem like something completely horrible.

I've been meaning to take some of Sheldrakes claims to the SGU Forums(SGU is sponsored by the JREF) and see if anyone else has read through the contract to clear up what he was saying, but I've yet to get around to it.
Page: 1 2 3 4