ID:133393

If you could do something like py2exe does for python files, as in package all the binary and dll files as criteria, for a dmb file to run standalone, into one executable, then it could be very much possible to make DM games standalone executables. You could extract said dlls and binary files to a temp directory then use them to execute the data contained in the dmb. NSIS can do this for py2exe executables.

Of course, this will have to incline some relative changes. The key of the player who runs the executable on their computer is one of these points that need to be redone specifically for this executable idea. It could work using the guest key, and then the player could get the choice to select their own name at runtime, so keys wouldn't matter much.

I hope that you actually understand what I've stated here.
It's actually kind of hard for me to read that too. My English isn't all that good anymore but this idea just kind of clicked into my head. I really want to see it done.

Thank you for your time.

The standalone executable idea for BYOND has been requested numerous times before and shot down (the most recent of which, I believe, was [link]). You can assume a "no."

Metamorphman wrote:
If you could do something like py2exe does for python files, as in package all the binary and dll files as criteria, for a dmb file to run standalone, into one executable, then it could be very much possible to make DM games standalone executables.

py2exe was written independently of the official Python project. If you want to write a dmb2exe, then by all means go for it. The task is very much achievable by a third party (as you said, just package the core files, the DMB, and its necessary files as an EXE, extract what you need at runtime and launch the client on the packaged DMB), especially now that you don't have to be logged into the pager to play games. As such, the task is likely out of the scope of the official BYOND project, and therefore is only viable as a third-party development.
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
If you want to write a dmb2exe, then by all means go for it.

I could try. Does BYOND use the command-line to execute DMBs on an end-user installed program? Would I have to run a core exe and specify said DMB as an argument in the command-line?
We currently have a feature similar to this in which authors can create an .exe file for a game, and that file will do the following:

1) Check to see if BYOND is installed on the system; if not, it asks if the user wants to download and install BYOND automatically.
2) Download and install BYOND automatically (if needed).
3) Launch a hub URL like byond://author.game

If BYOND is already installed, the file perform step 3 and so the game will launch, so the .exe can have a simple desktop shortcut to launch the game.

Because BYOND's core software is not set in stone, this is a far better solution than packaging the software with the game directly. It's also easier to implement, since BYOND really isn't meant to run without being properly installed.

Lummox JR