In response to Jon88
How many times have you asked them?
In response to Theodis
I personally like how Blizzard handles things. Them, along with Stardock are my two top developers.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
KodeNerd wrote:
I personally like how Blizzard handles things. Them, along with Stardock are my two top developers.

Is that the "do anything we don't like and we'll sue" Blizzard? The ones pushing for click-through EULAs to be court-enforceable even though that you buy (and are stuck with) the game even before you *see* the license?

Sure, Blizzard are great on the 'supports non-windows OSes' front, but programs like WoW's Warden are pretty DRM-laden.
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
KodeNerd wrote:

Is that the "do anything we don't like and we'll sue" Blizzard? The ones pushing for click-through EULAs to be court-enforceable even though that you buy (and are stuck with) the game even before you *see* the license?

Let me be more specific and refer to pre-Wow Blizzard.

George Gough
In response to Danial.Beta
If we stop buying PC games, they will stop making them. Then all that will be left is console games, and I don't want to be responsible for killing PC games, do you?

I think that's happening on its own anyway at least from the big publishers and the companies they buy up. They're all moving to doing console development and then doing PC ports of the shoddy games. Best not to support that in anyway you can if you don't like it like I don't. And it's easy when most the games coming out now are ones I wouldn't want anyway with a few exceptions but I'll live without them. However thankfully there's still plenty of neat indie stuff. Heck most my game time now is spent in Dwarf Fortress anyway with the occasional runs through Crawl :P.

The best thing you can do is get as many people as you can to call the game companies and ask them to stop using useless DRM.

Hopefully by now they know it's worthless and I'm starting to wonder if they, the RIAA, and the MPAA are just using piracy as an excuse to try and push for nastier things like hardware DRMs and harsher legal junk which they can abuse and exploit paying customers even more for more profit.

That said, I've never owned a game that did anything more than check for the CD in the drive. And that's pretty easy to fake with the right tools, hardly DRM.

Bypassing it isn't the issue it's the trash it leaves on your system and possibly keeps running that conflict with other stuff leading to system instability, issues, and bloat. EA claims that they'll use the Mass Effect PC DRM for all future products but I know that's total BS. I'm sure it's just going to get nastier and nastier as long as their customer base lets it happen.
How many times have you asked them?

Haha anytime you try and post complaints about it or even post problems you're having with it not letting you play the game you just bought legally EA just buries the posts in off topic. They know and don't care aside from giving the typical PR response that it doesn't hurt your computer, will work fine with no problems, and that it isn't an issue. All of course without explaining exactly what it does or even what information it sends every 5 days when it phones home.
In response to Theodis
Posting isn't really asking them. It's like posting something in the community forum on BYOND and assuming Tom's going to read it. Most companies have phones, and if you feel strongly about it, you should call them and let them know.

Thing is, big companies like EA probably assume that most of the users don't have issue with it.

As it stands, the only invasive software I've found a game put on my system is punkbuster. If punkbuster doesn't clean up its act, anti-virus software is going to start marking it as a freakin' virus. I keep a pretty close eye on my system, very little can get by without alerting me, and punkbuster is the only thing that has ever thrown up a red flag with my software.
I don't run many games on my computer (only the Sims 2 and an old starwars game that doesn't have DRM; my friend burned me it), but DRM doesn't seem problematic in most cases. In fact, I'll continue to ignore it unless I have problems.
In response to Bandock

:( run it in a VMware windows virutal environment then or buy it for the Wii or whatever console it comes for, cmon boys you know this game is gonna be stellar and that itll come out the same day as released fully hacked up to remove the DRM anyway!
In response to Masterdan
Masterdan wrote:
:( run it in a VMware windows virutal environment then or buy it for the Wii or whatever console it comes for, cmon boys you know this game is gonna be stellar and that itll come out the same day as released fully hacked up to remove the DRM anyway!
VMWare isn't able to emulate games using DirectX properly, way too slow.
Perhaps WINE is the answer? :)
In response to Masterdan
VMWare doesn't really solve anything when unhacked since you can only install it a limited number of times and installing on multiple computers counts against your activation limit (at least with the case with Flight Simulator X before that issue was solved). I would prefer a hacked DRM as you said though or until they get their acts straight.
Page: 1 2