ID:133553

Take this part of the rules:

DO NOT make posts for projects which knowingly make use of copyrighted material or another person's intellectual property. (This means fangames and other such projects)

And stick it at the top of the new topic creation page between Post Message and the Box that has the rules in it, then maybe people would actualy see it
The DO NOT is in bold in a nice section for the rules, being as it is a rule. I think it's fine how it is, but changing the rule order would work better.
In response to Kaiochao
I get through about the first sentence of that rule box before I get bored and stop reading =P
I mean it spans down the entirety of my page in 1280x960 resolution. I'd assume most people, like me, decide its too long to bother reading

EDIT: plus its not even labeled as rules or anything, its just some random box on the page unless you read the whole thing to know what its about

DOUBLE EDIT: Maybe they should just add a section in the template like this:
Does this project make use of any copyrighted material (Yes/No)?
* If you entered Yes on the above line: CANCEL YOUR POST NOW

would be entertaining at least =P
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
I get through about the first sentence of that rule box before I get bored and stop reading =P
I mean it spans down the entirety of my page in 1280x960 resolution. I'd assume most people, like me, decide its too long to bother reading

This, to me, says that they don't care enough about the post to post it at all. If you're given some rules to read, it's important to read it (one's parents should especially teach their children to read contracts in full to ensure their privacy is respected).

Ignorance of the law is not a defence under the law. =)
In response to Jtgibson
Jtgibson wrote:
If you're given some rules to read, it's important to read it (one's parents should especially teach their children to read contracts in full to ensure their privacy is respected).

as I stated, it never actualy says the box contains rules, and based on the first part.
"New posts in Classified Ads should fill out the template.* Unless otherwise specified, these sections are NOT optional. Please fill them all out as best you can."
I'd assume the rest is in regards to the template, which is in the actual post, so I wouldnt bother reading it
In response to Falacy
I actually agree with Falacy. Based on that first bit of the passage, I'd assume the rest of the box was explaining the template and what to do if it doesn't apply to you
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
as I stated, it never actualy says the box contains rules, and based on the first part

Funnily enough, if you add a "Rules:" headline, it may very well potentially increase the chance that people won't read it. The people who skip it simply don't care enough, otherwise they'd read it regardless of a headline, really; they're too lazy and don't do it because it's too boring, just like what you've said you do. To these people, adding the "rules:" headline would be an even more convenient marker for "don't read this".
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Falacy wrote:
as I stated, it never actualy says the box contains rules, and based on the first part

Funnily enough, if you add a "Rules:" headline, it may very well potentially increase the chance that people won't read it. The people who skip it simply don't care enough, otherwise they'd read it regardless of a headline, really; they're too lazy and don't do it because it's too boring, just like what you've said you do. To these people, adding the "rules:" headline would be an even more convenient marker for "don't read this".

How about:

<big>Read the Rules or your post will be Deleted!</big>
In response to Jtgibson
I don't remember the last time I've actually read the whole Terms of Agreement, but I haven't run into very many problems
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Kaioken wrote:
Falacy wrote:

How about:

Do that, but like 3 times the font size, and with Falacy's idea.

Except instead of 'copyright whatever', make it simpler for the newbs and say "IF IT'S A FANGAME OR ANIME-BASED GAME, DONT BOTHER OR WE WILL BAN YOU" - Of course, that'd scare them into NOT doing it. Which is what you want.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
How about:

Fixed:

<big>Read the Rules or your post will be Deleted, and you will be Banned!</big>
In response to Kuraudo
<big>Read the Rules or your post will be Deleted, you will be Banned, and your dog will die!</big>
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
<big>Read the Rules or your post will be Deleted, you will be Banned, and your dog will die!</big>

Except I was serious. ^^

Though, you shouldn't call peoples' mothers such crude names.
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
SuperAntx wrote:

Except I was serious. ^^

Though, you shouldn't call peoples' mothers such crude names.
LOL. SuperAntX just won teh internet.
In response to Jtgibson
Jtgibson wrote:
This, to me, says that they don't care enough about the post to post it at all. If you're given some rules to read, it's important to read it (one's parents should especially teach their children to read contracts in full to ensure their privacy is respected).

Ignorance of the law is not a defence under the law. =)

Wow, some of you really think we're dealing with intellectuals. These are the same people that wont even get by the second sentence in the dm guide.

"<big>Read the Rules or your post will be Deleted!</big>"

Not noticeable enough, for them it's just another inconvenience. These are irrational human beings that don't like to learn or "understand". When you're dealing with ridiculous people you have to be ridiculous yourself. Don't think about how presentable it is to other the other veterans that read the board they aren't the issue. You either have to "funkalize" the colors or increase that font size.

Tell me someone when someone clicks "show all" and scrolls this wont be the first thing they stop to look at. The kids are going to see their characters there and be like "Hey look Narutos there, wonder what's that all about" and observe "no fangames" surrounded by bright red (usually means stop) which will almost literally force them to look at it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
In response to Hulio-G
I was specifically bearing ignorance in mind. (Ignorance, of course, is a a lack of care, not the presence of stupidity.)

The cure to a help vampire is to make the rules and good material visible. It's not your goal to plaster them everywhere and make them obnoxious, because that just gets in the way of people who are actually legit.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
I'd assume most people, like me, decide its too long to bother reading

This is why we don't 'bother' keeping those posts around. If you can't be bothered to read the page and adhere to the rules there, odds are good you can't be bothered to actually create something others want to take part in.