ID:133560

http://www.byond.com/members/DreamMakers/forum?id=642393

Theres basicaly 3 posts (2 of which are quote posts of the first) out of like 20+ that would actualy require the post size to stretch, and yet it causes every other post in the topic to span off the screen, This makes everything a pain to read, having to scroll back and forth just to read simple sentences.
Basicaly I think only the specific posts that would force the size to span way off base should be effected, the rest of the posts should remain normal size so that theyre actualy readable
I'm not seeing anything like that in that thread, and definitely not in the post you linked to. I do see some code boxes that use too much width, but those are set to have scrollbars appear automatically when they get too wide.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
In response to Falacy
That's your browser's fault, not a ByondBug. If you haven't realized it yet from Lummox' post, everybody else sees normal post width; it's unaffected by the code boxes because they have scrollbars and don't stretch.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
That's your browser's fault, not a ByondBug.

I didnt say this was a bug, thats why its in features and not bug reports

If you haven't realized it yet from Lummox' post, everybody else sees normal post width; it's unaffected by the code boxes because they have scrollbars and don't stretch.

And if this is my browsers fault then maybe byond should add support for IE, seeing as how it is the official internet browser of the universe and all =P
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
And if this is my browsers fault then maybe byond should add support for IE, seeing as how it is the official internet browser of the universe and all =P

Maybe they're trying to overthrow it. If people stop using IE because it doesn't adhere to standards and they can't view websites properly, then Microsoft may step up and do something about it. As it is, web developers have to keep adding little hack-job workarounds to compensate for it.

Stick it to the man BYOND! =P
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
And if this is my browsers fault then maybe byond should add support for IE,

This is flawed thinking. Ideally, a site shouldn't need to take special measures to support a certain browser. It is the browser that should make sure it can display a site properly (granted, given the site isn't broken, of course).

Some sites I know (but don't surf) do make special accounting for IE. However, in turn, their faultily, improperly built website breaks on every other browser. Shamefully, these sites are originated in my country; thankfully I've actually yet to see many awfully broken websites in English. But it may be that I simply don't look for them.

seeing as how it is the official internet browser of the universe and all =P

The fact most people use it, given that most people aren't too knowledgeable (no offense to the people of the world!) in computers, or the internet, doesn't mean much. Other than that they do it because Microsoft cheaply forces it onto any Windows system. But anyway, the point is, as also said by YMIHere, is that Internet Explorer, believe it or not, is known to be flawed; it doesn't adhere to many official internet standards, and does a lot of things improperly. Do a few searches around the internet, you can probably read about this in Wikipedia also, if you're interested.
As for it being the official browser of the universe, I wouldn't know about that. I think most people get away from it and use alternatives once they get savvy enough, as was in my case, most often to the well-known Firefox. I also advise you to personally look into it or into Opera. Truth is, IE sucks. Other than being simply proper, they are also customizable and can be ...extended by many useful extensions that are available.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:

We do support IE; apparently though there's something wrong with its interpretation of the overflow style needed to avoid that problem. That may be fixable (or not, depending on how IE's crappy box model affects this), although the obvious workaround is to get a real browser.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Falacy wrote:

We do support IE; apparently though there's something wrong with its interpretation of the overflow style needed to avoid that problem. That may be fixable (or not, depending on how IE's crappy box model affects this), although the obvious workaround is to get a real browser.

Lummox JR

A real browser? Real piece of crap, right?
IE 6 is the only one with a GOOD interface that doesnt have -PIECE OF CRAP- labelled all over with search engines and crap like that.
In response to Eternal Desire
Eternal Desire wrote:
IE 6 is the only one with a GOOD interface that doesnt have -PIECE OF CRAP- labelled all over with search engines and crap like that.

Do you even think about what you are talking about? Firefox and Opera are customizable to suit your needs, not to mention that they are more standards compliant, Have great portability, and are free compared to any version of IE. I see IE as a crutch for the web development community.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
KodeNerd wrote:
Eternal Desire wrote:

Do you even think about what you are talking about? Firefox and Opera are customizable to suit your needs, not to mention that they are more standards compliant, Have great portability, and are free compared to any version of IE. I see IE as a crutch for the web development community.

George Gough

It's a good looking crutch, though.
Firefox and Opera lag like no tommarow. How the hell is IE NOT free? IT COMES WITH YOUR PC IF YOU INSTALL WINDOWS.
Eternal Desire wrote:

Okay, now you're just flamebaiting. I can understand someone being an IE apologist, but the notion that IE 6 is superior to even IE 7 is ridiculous; the only reason to say so would be to get someone to argue with you. I certainly don't see the point in trying to launch a "my browser is better than yours" argument in response to a semi-facetious comment in a discussion that didn't even involve you. Please stop trying to cause problems on the forums.

Lummox JR
Eternal Desire wrote:
Firefox and Opera lag like no tommarow.

Funny, they work fine for me. But this is no longer relevant to the topic.

How the hell is IE NOT free? IT COMES WITH YOUR PC IF YOU INSTALL WINDOWS.

Read: Therefore, you have to pay to get it. Meaning it is not free. Doh.
Eternal Desire wrote:
It's a good looking crutch, though.
Firefox and Opera lag like no tommarow. How the hell is IE NOT free? IT COMES WITH YOUR PC IF YOU INSTALL WINDOWS.

You have to pay to get Windows, therefore you have to pay to get IE.

Firefox and Opera take time to load for me but that is due to them not being built into the system (which is proper design in my opinion). If it is "lagging" for you then you must have a worse computer than mine:

700 MHz Cpu
3 GB Hard-drive space
No video card (old Intel chipset)

That does slow down when viewing flash, that is about it.

George Gough
If Opera lags then your computer must be god-awful attrocious. I use Opera on my laptop and it has never, ever lagged.
Eternal Desire wrote:

You have to pay for Windows, don't you? Although Windows is installed on the family computer I tend to use while at home, on all my other computers I have various other OSes, the most common being Linux although I have one thats Mac

Also, Firefox moves faster on any of them than IE does.
In response to Jamesburrow
Jamesburrow wrote:
You have to pay for Windows, don't you?

90% of the time when you buy a new computer it comes with an operating system already installed, and 90% of that time the OS is windows. Only fools buy mac! and I dont even think they comercialy sell ones with any type of unix OS.
In response to Falacy
There are a few commercially sold with linux, mainly only on laptops.

As for only fools buy mac... I didn't buy the one I use, but I probably would buy one for my personal use if I could afford it.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
90% of the time when you buy a new computer it comes with an operating system already installed, and 90% of that time the OS is windows.

That's because you paid for Windows along with your computer. Linux groupies hate this since everytime they buy a computer they need to pay even more money for the pre-installed Windows.

-- Data
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
90% of the time when you buy a new computer it comes with an operating system already installed, and 90% of that time the OS is windows. Only fools buy mac!

I didn't reply about this before intentionally, but since Data did, I might as well add my point. There's a common saying that 'nothing in life is free'. Believe It Or Not, Windows is expensive, not to mention people also charge for the installation of it as well. If you think that you'd be getting it for free, you shouldn't call others fools. Well, you shouldn't do it anyway, considering how often you do it while -snip- well, nevermind that. Just don't be so foulmouthed.
Page: 1 2