In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
The resource file for SS13 is generated very easily, but the compiling of the map and code are what takes so much time. I'm guessing the map takes some time to compile because it contains quite a bit of instances, and the SS13 source-code is riddled with bad habits and lengthy instructions because it's has been decompiled.

How exactly do you know that? :O
In response to Slurm
Slurm wrote:
Not because it was decompiled, but because the original developer isn't a good programmer.

Which brings up a question of my own: how do you know?

-- Data
Android Data wrote:

-- Data

The code & logic that is Space Station 13.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Because SS13 was decompiled and released. I have a copy, and he's right. The decompiler really made a mess of the source. It works, it's just not pretty.
Android Data wrote:
Slurm wrote:
Not because it was decompiled, but because the original developer isn't a good programmer.

-- Data

The person who programmed it said so himself also IIRC.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
Plus, Slurm wrote the decompiler, I believe, so if anyone knows how bad the source was before it was decompiled, it would be him.
In response to Xooxer
Slurm's never seen the non-decompiled version either, I did a while back and it's not a whole lot better as far as compiling.
In response to Nadrew
I think his point was that Slurm knows how it looked because to write the decompiler he'd have to know how BYOND compiles the source files. =)
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Slurm's never seen the non-decompiled version either, I did a while back and it's not a whole lot better as far as compiling.

The only difference is formatting, the logic is still the same, else recompiling the decompiled version wouldn't net a working version of Space Station 13.
In response to Slurm
Slurm wrote:
The only difference is formatting, the logic is still the same, else recompiling the decompiled version wouldn't net a working version of Space Station 13.

from what i hear it doesnt
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
from what i hear it doesnt

You hear incorrectly.
In response to Slurm
Oh, the original version compiles a bit faster than the first version AZA gave me, but not THAT much. The decompiled version compiles a bit slow because of the use of things like text() and other totally pointless procs, they make the compiler think harder.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Oh, the original version compiles a bit faster than the first version AZA gave me, but not THAT much. The decompiled version compiles a bit slow because of the use of things like text() and other totally pointless procs, they make the compiler think harder.

Right, but internally that is what it all ends up as anyway, so the logic is the same.
In response to Xooxer
I should have been more specific: I'm asking how does he know the RSC takes so little time to compile.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Because it is not compiled IIRC.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
it's hard to believe a game decompiler already exists.

~7 months ago or so King of Slimes asked Hiead and he said it'd take way too long.
In response to Eternal Desire
Eternal Desire wrote:

~7 months ago or so King of Slimes asked Hiead and he said it'd take way too long.

Mine will be a year old starting next month.
In response to Slurm
Slurm wrote:
Eternal Desire wrote:

Mine will be a year old starting next month.
isnt decompiling games illegal?
In response to Eternal Desire
Eternal Desire wrote:

No. And even if it were, what could you possibly do about it? It's not like BYOND has the monetary resources to sue him or anything like that. And even if they did, he might still be able to win somehow.

-- Data
Android Data wrote:
Eternal Desire wrote:

No. And even if it were, what could you possibly do about it? It's not like BYOND has the monetary resources to sue him or anything like that. And even if they did, he might still be able to win somehow.

-- Data
yet RSC extractors are bannable...?
Page: 1 2 3 4