ID:133676

Just a few thoughts, without regard to ease of implementation:

1) Hint field for UI elements, that will set what to display in the Statusbar upon mouse-over. This includes the window itself, so that you can make the Statusbar display the name of the game (f.ex) while the mouse isn't over anything you'd want it to change for; or to give an entire window a single mouseover name (such as 'Character pane'). If the map has a Hint field set, that would give the map a static hint field in the Statusbar instead of the current behavior (of showing the name of the atom the mouse is hovering over).

2) Ability to minimize a DS world into the Windows dock. I don't know if this is feasible with the Windows API (I have no idea how minizing into the dock works).

3) Popup notifications for DS worlds, if #2 is possible. I assume that a program which isn't minimized to the dock can't display popup notifications?
Alathon wrote:

1) Hint field for UI elements, that will set what to display in the Statusbar upon mouse-over. This includes the window itself, so that you can make the Statusbar display the name of the game (f.ex) while the mouse isn't over anything you'd want it to change for; or to give an entire window a single mouseover name (such as 'Character pane'). If the map has a Hint field set, that would give the map a static hint field in the Statusbar instead of the current behavior (of showing the name of the atom the mouse is hovering over).

I like this idea, though don't expect it for 413; it'd need some testing.

2) Ability to minimize a DS world into the Windows dock. I don't know if this is feasible with the Windows API (I have no idea how minizing into the dock works).

If by dock you mean tray, this is doable. The main question is how we'd implement it from a UI standpoint; it might require us to modify the titlebar or some such, unless Windows provides some capacity to include a minimize-to-tray button there that I'm not aware of.

3) Popup notifications for DS worlds, if #2 is possible. I assume that a program which isn't minimized to the dock can't display popup notifications?

I think any program can do something like that, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of notifications you mean, unless it'd be something generated by the game like via a special winset command. That would be fairly awesome, actually.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Alathon wrote:

I like this idea, though don't expect it for 413; it'd need some testing.

If by dock you mean tray, this is doable.

Yeah, tray, sorry.

I think any program can do something like that, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of notifications you mean, unless it'd be something generated by the game like via a special winset command. That would be fairly awesome, actually.

Yep, thats exactly what I mean. I figure this goes well hand-in-hand along with the other notification functions being discussed recently (like a blinking tray icon).
In response to Lummox JR
I'm going to tack on a small request for this thread.

I would love the ability to set a custom icon for the main window (or all windows even if possible) to replace the default DreamSeeker atom icon.

Also, I'd like to separate the icon from the control boxes. If I remove the control boxes, I've noticed the atom icon tends to vanish as well.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
I would love the ability to set a custom icon for the main window (or all windows even if possible) to replace the default DreamSeeker atom icon.

I requested this a long time ago, didn't really get much of a reposonse, but I think it's an awesome idea!
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:

That may be feasible. I know it's come up before.

Also, I'd like to separate the icon from the control boxes. If I remove the control boxes, I've noticed the atom icon tends to vanish as well.

This is actually quite impossible. It's Windows that controls that behavior, not us. The only way around that is to completely take over the drawing of the nonclient area of the window, which will also louse up any themes.

Lummox JR