In response to Garthor
No, he just said that it was based in the prehistoric times. I'm pretty sure that no cops or jails were created or even thought of at the time... Even though you were probably joking, even still, that's kind of stupid. :\
In response to Poal
Cooperation in ancient societies was crucial for survival. Trust and training is necessary for effective hunting, resource gathering, building, etc. Law enforcement is largely unnecessary in tribal societies because if the society shuns you, it is effectively a death sentence. One human does not survive well "realistically"; they tend to get injured, infected, sick, etc. and die if they don't have friends and relatives to care of them.

That is why tribal groups focus violence, theft, etc. on *rival* tribes, and then generally only when in a desperate situation or when possessing a clear advantage.. Alliances are very powerful.

Modern crime doesn't arise until domestication became common. Increased wealth and time from specialization combined with resource gaps leads to all sorts of problems. Additionally, more mobile less primitive groups often raid their civilized neighbors. But these are generally coordinated actions of hundreds, not a few raiders. Such small banditry is usually found in wholly civilized regions, often with the support of local power groups who somehow profit from it. Bandits without friends tend to get hunted down and slain rather ruthlessly.
In response to Foomer
Well, they get either jailed or a beating, assuming Dwarven Justice has started up.

...I play DF way too much.
In response to Jp
That's why I stopped playing DF...
In response to Jmurph
I guess assuming the world was rather vast, then vandalism wouldn't be that much of a problem. But regardless of whether or not crime was present back then, the players are not from back then, and they tend to be idiots who like to be destructive for fun even though there's no real gain on their part.

Also keep in mind that online games which require large groups of people cooperating in order to be fun therefor not be fun when there are only a few people on. If a prehistoric village is safe because there's 20 people guarding it and nobody wants to run in and get beat up, then how can you mimic that when there's only 5 people online and 3 of them are destroying things? Maybe if players had control over NPCs who could protect their village, attack vandals, or whatever is needed, then it would work. But otherwise, don't count on having a lot of players around to make things work.
In response to Foomer
Oh, I agree, but that is where fun > reality.

My point was that the OP's views on reality and destruction are at odds.
In response to Jmurph
I know, I mostly just wanted to throw in my point about NPCs, because that actually kind of sounds like fun. Instead of lone survival, you have to take care of your little village!
In response to Foomer
That is a great idea! You start with a small tribe and can grow with adequate food, shelter, etc. Maybe develop tools for more effective harvesting or develop weaponry for defense... or to raid neighbors.
In response to Jmurph
Yeah, but the types of games I really don't like are the ones that are sort of like that... Maybe it would be more fun if players could hack through jungle or something and find each other, and then they could have the option to form their own tribe or they could have the option to attack them or something...
In response to Jman9901
Multiplayer games should not be designed to hinder player interaction.
In response to Garthor
Really? I thought Frustration Quest was the best ever....
In response to Poal
Crucify!!
In response to Jman9901
Most survival games are just that, not something like AoE.
I have an idea how about animals that you can kill and get leather from that you can make stuff out of.

(edit)(Sorry I didn't know someone already suggested that.)
In response to Crime fighter109
Please don't resurrect five-month-old threads to make a completely inane reply.
Page: 1 2