ID:152177

Hello, I'm starting work on a survivial game. This is not a shooter where you try to survive waves of zombies, instead this game is kind-off similar to Ginseng's Dungeon Master. You start with nothing, just basic skills and build up from their, you need to eat, drink, ect. You must get your own food and water, shelted and heat, and everything else to survive. Make your own tools and weapons, build your own house, ect.

Any ideas? Also if you think this project sounds interesting, please reply, I don't want to work on something no-one will play. Or should I just drop the project and make a totaly origional Naruto game from scratch (I have a unique battle system an unique base icons)?

-Poal
Whatever you do, don't ever force players to repeat the same action over and over in order to accomplish something. If you have to 'hack' the tree 50 times in order to get the wood you need to build a fire, your game will suck, period.
In response to Foomer
No the game will have a realism factor like hack the tree 3 times, it falls, then you can do different things to it, like break branches off, pull it, push it, craft it into something(A boat? A baricade? A door?) or just make it into logs.
In response to Poal
Realism is dumb. Avoid it where possible. Games are for fun, not for pretending to be not having fun.

In other news: ensure that there is some external destabilizing force that creates a persistent challenge. If all you need to survive is food and drink, then your game will be boring once you've secured your source of food and drink. Stir things up a bit so that there's always something that could kill you.
In response to Garthor
Yeah, I know, you'll be able to create tribes with people, the tribe will act as a respawn point and when someone new logs in they will be able to choose what tribe to be a part of, if any at all. Their will be things like discovery, you will have to research and learn new things(Probably through mini-games), seasons will change, their will be wild animals(And maybe monster, still don't know). The game won't be 100% realism, days will be like 10 minutes long and you will have to eat like every hour or 30 minutes.
In response to Poal
There are only a few survival games out there right now. One, the original, is dead. Archipelago and Hazordhu are the only other decent ones. Another one can't be too bad.

Of course days can't be full-length, for that would be insanity, in a game. Eating once or twice a week would sound great.
Make sure people can destroy others houses and steal their things. They can call themselves Bandits or Outlaws. It makes the game a lot more fun. In the original Survival game, I would always get about five people together. We would always rob people's houses and take their material for our own. We called ourselves Bandits. We used everyone else's things to create our own base. It was fun. =D
In response to Poal
How about just have a random time limit for eating, like this

mob/var
hunger = 10
maxhunger = 10 //The lower it is, the more hungry you are

mob/Login()
//Put the tribe stuff here
//After they get their tribe then put this
while(1) //Make it repeat through this next piece of code
hunger -= rand(0,3) //Don't wanna waste too much hunger...
sleep(6000) //Pauses it for a minute
src << "You have [hunger] until you need to eat."

Something like that...
In response to Jman9901
That code's indentation is wrong, and the player will never get past Login().
mob/var
hunger = 10
maxhunger = 10 //The lower it is, the more hungry you are

mob/Login()
//Put the tribe stuff here
//After they get their tribe then put this
spawn() //Put it in the background.
while(1) //Make it repeat through this next piece of code
hunger -= rand(0,3) //Don't wanna waste too much hunger...
sleep(6000) //Pauses it for a minute
src << "You have [hunger] until you need to eat."
..() //Do normal stuff.
In response to Kaiochao2536
I don't care, I was giving an example...
In response to Cavern
Cavern wrote:
Make sure people can destroy others houses and steal their things. They can call themselves Bandits or Outlaws. It makes the game a lot more fun. In the original Survival game, I would always get about five people together. We would always rob people's houses and take their material for our own. We called ourselves Bandits. We used everyone else's things to create our own base. It was fun. =D

... Only if there's a way for the victims to mount a significant defense as well. I like the way Hedgerow Hall did it - you can choose whether or not to allow people into your burrow. If you do, you have opportunities for trade and dialog, but you're also risking that someone will come in and attempt to loot your space, so you've got to make sure to lock things up or hide them.

And I personally never thought having my house destroyed after I spent ~30 minutes building it was much fun.
In response to Foomer
In Archipelago, you could smith locks with keys to lock/unlock storage or doors. In Classic Hazordhu, you could allow certain people to be able to lock or unlock your doors, and you could make barrier spikes which deal damage if walked into.

And it's always easier to destroy than to create. Set fire to a tree, it's down in an hour or so, depending on what kind or how big. Trees take a while to grow.
If you want to make a survival game I'd like to parter up with you. I once worked on one of my own but eventually got bored with it.
In response to SuperAntx
I think I might have played that. I could just be remembering Mikau's Island, though.

Anyways, if you need any help Poal, I might be able to help when I'm not working on Hazordhu or something...
In response to Kaiochao2536
Yes, but again realism != fun.

If it is easier for players to destroy than create, guess what they will do. Then, figure out how long the people who want to create will stick around. See the problem?
In response to Jmurph
Then there must be a disadvantage as well as an advantage for destroying other people's stuff. Not god zapping them with lightning for every 10 wall tiles, making their health drop by 50 or anything, but something bad. Breaking weapons, injuring yourself by accidentally having the wall collapse on yourself?
In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
Yes, but again realism != fun.

If it is easier for players to destroy than create, guess what they will do. Then, figure out how long the people who want to create will stick around. See the problem?

We live in a world of realism and still seem to have fun =)
In response to Poal
Poal wrote:
We live in a world of realism and still seem to have fun =)

So in our world of realism, what happens to someone who go around vandalizing people's houses?
In response to Foomer
This game is set in like the pre-historic era...Their are no cops or jails..
In response to Poal
So you're saying that cops and jails are a bad thing?
Page: 1 2