ID:183195

I like 'em. :D
I'd like someone to do the 4k or 8k contest again.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
I'd like someone to do the 4k or 8k contest again.

Lets do the extreme and require 2k limits.
In response to Shlaklava
I'd like to see more 'novelty' contests, such as 'Most Obfuscated Code' or 'Most Convoluted Code' or something.
Although I do have a cool idea for a game for an open game contest :-D.
In response to Hazman
Hazman wrote:
I'd like to see more 'novelty' contests, such as 'Most Obfuscated Code' or 'Most Convoluted Code' or something.

That's pretty much how 4Ks end up.

Surprisingly when I did the 8K Cartridge Classic (which I'm strongly considering doing again), most of the participants didn't compress their code at all, suggesting they had a lot more room for features. Breakthrough managed to be a great game in 8K totally uncompressed; it would probably fit into any 4K competition that allowed libraries.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I'd really like to see another 8k or 4k. ATP Development really slacked off in the first one, but I'm confidant we'd do much better a second time around.
We like 'em too. BYOND has always benefited from contests going on. I myself am thinking of restarting the Cartridge Classic.

The major task I'm working on now is coming up with ideas for revamping the BYOND site, and one of the big things we're going to integrate is an easier way to keep track of events and contests. The more guilds running events and contests, the better!

As part of this I offer this brainstorming challenge: What sorts of contests--gaming contests and developer contests, because both are fun--do you think will be fun to have? Feel free to just scattershot some ideas because even a simple idea can inspire someone to get a contest started.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
How about a contest involving both a developer stage, and a player stage?

Something like a contest for developers to design and build an arcade-style game based on points, then have a high score contest after the winner is picked?
In response to Airjoe
Well lets see, there is 4k, 8k, Game in a Day, all of which are short term contests really. Long term contests don't do so well because people just forget about them...
In response to Starjian
Starjian wrote:
Well lets see, there is 4k, 8k, Game in a Day, all of which are short term contests really. Long term contests don't do so well because people just forget about them...

The 4K and 8K contests haven't been all that short-term. Typically those last about 2-3 months, although the Cartridge Classic went a little longer.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I'm talking short term as in a few months, longterm is 6 months plus.
In response to Starjian
Starjian wrote:
I'm talking short term as in a few months, longterm is 6 months plus.

I would put 6 months in the extreme long term if anything. Short-term would probably be anything in a month or less.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I did the 8K Cartridge Classic (which I'm strongly considering doing again)

Do it.
In response to Lummox JR
I did like the idea for the cartridge classic and I regret not participating in it. I think it came down to lack of time.

It'd be nice for a contest that required registration, perhaps a chatroom like that of the recent Game-in-a-Day contest, that would randomly pair up people to work together on a larger project. That problem with that is you have to have an even amount of competitors and who's to say only the pair worked on the game?

Another idea I thought of is an "Old School"-type deal, where everything is made by the programmer alone. It's a shame BYOND handles graphics (for the contest--I'd hate to have to program in graphics processing, not to mention I'm no good at it) because if it did not, we'd truly be able to do an "Old School"-type contest.

How about an efficiency or design philosophy-based contest where everyone is given the same thing to do, and what grades them is how well and intuitively they perform the task. This would be extra fun, not to mention an excellent learning experience in efficiency and design. It'd encourage people to search for better ways to do things.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
As part of this I offer this brainstorming challenge: What sorts of contests--gaming contests and developer contests, because both are fun--do you think will be fun to have? Feel free to just scattershot some ideas because even a simple idea can inspire someone to get a contest started.

Although you didn't care for it, I personally loved taking part in the "Game in a Day" contest. It can be quite refreshing if you're not being too ambitious.

Digi's Game in a Week idea sounds pretty good. That'd be very fun to participate in as well. It gives you the ability to be ambitious and leaves you with plenty of time to debug and finalise a small game.

A contest which involves the much ignored DMCGI would be very interesting to take part in as well. But setting that up would be much more difficult, what with finding server space everyone can use etc.

The two button competition yielded some interesting candidates last time it was held. Maybe it can do so again?

I probably wouldn't be able to take part in the 4k and 8k challenges (unless I like, did something lame like remake Puzzle Game + 1, or make like... Puzzle Game + 2). But you never know, ideas can strike I suppose.

That particularly large BYOND competition you guys held in 2005 (?) was interesting. I didn't have a clue what was going on, or where to start, but hey, many others seemed to enjoy it. Could always give that a shot.

The competition WorldWeaver held for BYOND RPG a while back was a pretty good success. Find willing developers and have them place something with-in their game that users must locate to get to the clue.
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
Perhaps a contest where the developers are given a fully formed design documentation for a game, and they each have to try to implement it to the best of their ability?

Of course, this requires quite a bit of effort on the part of the event organizer...

To offset this, though, we could enlist the help of one of the members of the community who has big ideas, but hasn't been able to create their own game with them... BYOND isn't very idea-man friendly; there aren't many people willing to work with/for a designer that doesn't/can't do any of the work outside of brainstorming, but we have a TON of these people (just look at all of the wild ideas posted about on the forums, and all of the posts looking for "coders, iconers, mappers, and hosts") I'm sure out of the lot, we might be able to find someone with a really nice and fleshed out design that's just waiting to be brought to life...
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
Although you didn't care for it, I personally loved taking part in the "Game in a Day" contest. It can be quite refreshing if you're not being too ambitious.

The original GiaD was one I didn't even think I could participate in, but I ended up being around for it. The problem was, the theme forced my hand; I've been wanting to bring PlunderMine to BYOND for ages and that became the logical goal. What I didn't realize was how difficult that would prove to be.

Digi's Game in a Week idea sounds pretty good. That'd be very fun to participate in as well. It gives you the ability to be ambitious and leaves you with plenty of time to debug and finalise a small game.

That'd be fun, though I'd pretty much have to take the week off work to do it.

I probably wouldn't be able to take part in the 4k and 8k challenges (unless I like, did something lame like remake Puzzle Game + 1, or make like... Puzzle Game + 2). But you never know, ideas can strike I suppose.

I'm not sure why those would pose much more of a problem. A 4K is rigorous but plenty doable; if you can do GiaD you can do a 4K. And the Cartridge Classic allowed libraries, which in practice meant most participants didn't even compress their code to make use of the 8K; they could've done the same with a 4K+library competition. And actually, 4K+library would be quite interesting.

That particularly large BYOND competition you guys held in 2005 (?) was interesting. I didn't have a clue what was going on, or where to start, but hey, many others seemed to enjoy it. Could always give that a shot.

I don't remember what was involved in all of that, but I basically ended up having to extend the Cartridge Classic because of it. That competition took up a lot of administrative time, though. Going forward our aim is to have other guilds run contests instead, and possibly provide some of them their stake (or a part of it).

The competition WorldWeaver held for BYOND RPG a while back was a pretty good success. Find willing developers and have them place something with-in their game that users must locate to get to the clue.

That'd be quite interesting, a developer contest followed up by a gaming contest.

Lummox JR
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:

I feel that a week is too long to be very challenging but too short to make something really neat. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

A contest which involves the much ignored DMCGI would be very interesting to take part in as well. But setting that up would be much more difficult, what with finding server space everyone can use etc.

Digi held one a few months ago. I think I was the only one who participated though.

The two button competition yielded some interesting candidates last time it was held. Maybe it can do so again?

I also liked that one a lot. As usual, though <s>ATP Development</s> I ended up slacking off and not polishing the games.

You'd be surprised how much you can fit in 4k, never mind 8k! It's really quite fun.
In response to Lummox JR
How about a scenario of providing a set of graphics that the developer must use, and having them design the best game they can with those graphics?

Then if you (purely for example) provided people with a DragonWarrior-esque tile sheet, you could end up with DragonWarrior-esque RPGs, Proelium-style action games, or maybe a DragonWarrior-esque puzzle game. :P

Rule could either be you must use all of a few graphics provided, or must use nothing but a large set provided, depending on what is available.

That way, at least, people don't end up in the dilemma of being unable to make their project because they don't have sufficient graphics to do it with.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
How about a scenario of providing a set of graphics that the developer must use, and having them design the best game they can with those graphics?

I love this idea.
Page: 1 2