ID:133984

4.0 seems to require a somewhat decent system to run the OpenGL without crashing or causing lag on the user's computer, any chance there will be system requirements posted for BYOND? maybe on the download page <.<
Falacy wrote:
4.0 seems to require a somewhat decent system to run the OpenGL without crashing or causing lag on the user's computer, any chance there will be system requirements posted for BYOND? maybe on the download page <.<

Or maybe they should just hurry up and fix the bug that's causing the lagging and the crashing so people don't have to worry about it regardless of what their system is?
In response to Foomer
I think that maybe just informing newcomers of some minimum things anyways would be a nice practice.
In response to Shlaklava
'System requirements' aren't necessary though. BYOND is lightweight enough even with OpenGL (and that can even be disabled), any proper and non-ancient computer runs it. You can know that if you can run Windows XP you can run BYOND. Bugs are something entirely different. There can be bugs that affect performance, of course. But applying that into deciding the system requirements is pretty pointless and counterproductive.
In response to Kaioken
this is all well and good, but i have a computer thats barely 3 years old, and the on-board video card isnt even capable of running a NES emulator

so i wouldnt exactly rule anything out <.<
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
You can know that if you can run Windows XP you can run BYOND.

And then some. I used to use Byond on a computer with 233MHz cpu and 40MB RAM. I would both host and join other games, and I would have multiple instances going and it would still run just fine and smoothly.

If you can run Windows 95 you can run Byond fine. If you can run Windows 3.x you might be able to use Byond fine depending on the parts of the Windows API it uses.
In response to Loduwijk
somehow i doubt any servers u were hosting on a machine with those specs were anywhere near worth playing on

and smoothly? i doubt u could run notepad "smoothly" on that computer, i have a computer with 95, which im not sure about the specs on it - but its probably something like yours, it takes like 8 years to boot up and another 8 to load any program, nothing runs "smoothly" on a computer that old

also, im refering pretty much specificaly to only the OpenGL used in 4.0 when it comes to the system reqs
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
somehow i doubt any servers u were hosting on a machine with those specs were anywhere near worth playing on

and smoothly? i doubt u could run notepad "smoothly" on that computer, i have a computer with 95, which im not sure about the specs on it - but its probably something like yours, it takes like 8 years to boot up and another 8 to load any program, nothing runs "smoothly" on a computer that old

Maybe if you had it filled with crap.

I had an old 233mhz computer with win98 that I hosted SS13 on once and awhile. It did about as good a job as a 1.8ghz celeron did for that version of SS13, which is either pretty darn good for the old computer, or pretty sad for the celeron.

Assuming your video card on the older computer doesn't just push opengl (now directx) into a software path (ie: it's hardware accelerated), everything should run fine.
4.0 runs fine on most systems, even low-end ones. A lot of the problems with speed right now are due to a bug that I believe has been fixed in the latest builds.

I've also heard a lot of people solving the speed issue by upgrading their video drivers to the latest versions.

Personally, 4.0 runs perfectly fine for me, no problems so far. My computer is very far from 'decent' it can't run most games made within the last six years or so. I make full use of the OpenGL option with no slow down or CPU spikes.